Alpina B10 3.2

Gaunty

Alpina are the "official" tuners for BMW.. bit like AMG I suppose.. they supply complete cars taken from BMW stock and then tune them.. they do engines, body work and interior... generally not quite as quick as the M versions but quick and refined...

I almost bought one a few years back but was worried about residuals.. but they are supposed to be OK.. I was worried beacuse you would be selling to a specilised market

Dave

Gaunty,

The Alpina ( like mercs AMG) is a brute of a car!! I have been out in a B3, which was an 1992 standard looking 3series BMW, except the rims, but jeez did the thing fly. I think the B10 is the 5 series BM.

Other good BMW boys are Racing Dynamics ( in Milton Keynes ). A friend of mine had a Compact modded by them and it was a beast. It was called the K184 (why, i dont know) but it featured in CAR magazine!

must admit I don't see the point of lots of these Alpinas

few months ago I was walking past Sytner in the city and they had a lovely looking 3 series (B3.3 I think)

had lots of kit but it was £43k for 300 odd bhp

did it looks a nice as an M3 - er no

was it more powerful - no way

was it more epxensive - by a grand or 2

wtf? thats exclusivity gone mad IMHO confused.gif

• 2 weeks later...

MY MATE had A 3 SERIES ALPINA.on a 52 plate as a company car!!..bloody hell cap locks anyway......the car was an auto....and absolutley flew.....i couldnt believe how smooth it was,...we were doing 120 on a short b road very very quickly i thought we were doing about 60!...i was in the back though!....actually dont think much of the leather inside....steering wheel was nice,....and the kit was'nt all that really......it was still quite sublime.....he's got a scooby at the mo...with techno magnesium wheels....lucky fella! fekr.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I followed him in again this morning, didn't find a suitable overtaking point again smile.gif otherwise it'd have been whoosh "eat my black smoke!" ha.gif

He likes to drive fast what can I say? His engine is twice the size of mine and doesn't like to eek out every last drop of fuel.

• 1 year later...

For the record the following have been available for the E39 5-Series:

ALPINA B10 3.2 has a 260bhp/205lb ft 3.2 litre straight six engine. The car was sold between 1997 and 1999.

When it was superceded by the

B10 3.3 which has a 280bhp/247lb ft 3.3 litre straight six engine. The car was available as a manual and switchtronic ALPINA's semi-automatic.

In addition there was the B10 V8 which has a 347bhp/354lb ft 4.6-litre V8 this was sold form 1997-2002 and was only available as a switchtronic. (The 4.6 X5 uses this cars engine's blue print but is mass produced (ALPINA engines are hand built) by BMW.

It was superceded B10 V8s which got a 4.8-litre 375bhp/376lb ft V8. Again only available in switchtronic. And again the new 4.8 X5 uses the same engine blue-print.

For the E60 the car will be getting 4.4-litre supercharged engine that is currently in the B7 (the ALPINA 7-series). This produces 500bhp / 516lb ft but will be down slightly when it is put into the new 5-Series.

It's also worth noting that ALPINAs are never limited (top speed) and all are capable of 160+mph (175+ in the V8s).

And generally the power / torque ratings are usually very pesimisitic

Cheers

Has anyone seen the Alpina Z4 in this month's EVO ? After spending 10 days on the continent watching Lagoo have the hood down in the glorious sunshine whilst I roasted my tits off in the M Coupe, I could be tempted by something a bit different like this for next year's road trip.... wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Has anyone seen the Alpina Z4 in this month's EVO ? After spending 10 days on the continent watching Lagoo have the hood down in the glorious sunshine whilst I roasted my tits off in the M Coupe, I could be tempted by something a bit different like this for next year's road trip.... wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

See hairdressing is the way forward!!! grin.gif