Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AudiPartner

Volvo V50 D5 (R Design)

8 posts in this topic

Anyone know owt about them? The later Volvo's are starting to look a bit more "with it" don't you think? I like the little sporty one, no idea what it's called - its a Volvo. But I was on the road the other day and whilst of course I've seen them before, it never really hit home how nice the V50 looks, R Design Styleee. Having looked in to them briefy it seems the D5 would be the drivers choice (for diesel), whilst I think its the R Design that makes it look trick.

But are they really just w4nk?? Sorry, lol.

Depends which one you are looking at. They are aiming for the company car driver market with ultra low emissions. The majority are all show and no go....

That's a shame I quite like the look of the S60 R design.

V50 has been knocking about for a while its based on the now replaced Focus. Its been about for a while, wishful thinking and a bunch of new engines. Still used they make good sense in terms of purchase price but they often modify "Ford parts" so they are not directly replaceable so you have purchase expensive Volvo parts.

I know there are fair few new engines in the V50. As far as the D5 goes i have had plenty in my work V70's and they are fine. The one in the V50 i think was the older version loud, unrefined by todays standards but critically acclaimed when it came out about 8-9 yrs ago.

Sadly its not a baby V70, more of pimped Focus. Id probably by a used 3 series estate pimp it myself if i felt inclinded.

Geoff

This is our V70 R-design -

photo1pf.jpg

photo4tzm.jpg

I think it's quite a handsome car, it's the 2.0 D SE R-design, and it's been great, I think it's just under 140bhp, so in terms of outright power, it's not up with VAG or BMW's 2.0d 4 pots, but it never feels lacking in power.

It been utterly faultless, and build quality is great, it's wearing very very well too, it's not the most exciting car in the world to drive, but it does handle well, if economy wasn't so important, it'd be the D5, thats a lovely engine.

I'd definitely recommend one to anyone, it doesn't have the handling finesse or involvement of a BMW, but will certainly match anything from the VAG stable, the Ford chassis of the V50 is a great chassis, and the class leader in terms of handling and involvement.

See I had a moment exactly the same as this on the V50. Was going down the motorway and saw one out of the corner of my eye and thought what's that it looks great and realised it was the V50.

The D5 as you say is fairly quick and frugal and pick it right and you can get good kit as well. Is it a good choice, well I don't see why not t be honest. Give one a test drive and see what you think.

I think the R-Design is just a trim level. You can get the V50 with a more powerful D5 engine. Maybe 190+ BHP and a neat 5 cylinder soundtrack.

I think the R-Design is just a trim level. You can get the V50 with a more powerful D5 engine. Maybe 190+ BHP and a neat 5 cylinder soundtrack.

In our case, on the V70, SE is the trim level which means full leather etc, the R-design bit brings the bodykit, wheels and slightly lower/stiffer suspension, and a couple of badges.

You can spec any engine (I think).