Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mac

European Road Trip Advice

21 posts in this topic

Ok, planning a Euro-road trip leaving Sunday night, coming back the following Sunday.

Was thinking of going down to Zurich and then working our way back. That's about as far in the planning as I've got :grin:

Looking for suggestions really +++ Quite like the idea of Zurich and the area, maybe Luxe, West Germany etc.

Any suggestions as to a route, must sees etc?

I know it's a very open question... but would be interested in hearing people's thoughts.

Ta

Nurburgring

Mont Ventoux

And a bit of a stretch - the Millau viaduct is spectacular

Set the sat nav to avoid motorways and toll roads, that way you get to see the countries that you're traveling through and makes for a more relaxing trip.

Go to the Ring, but don't take your car on it. If you want to drive it, see if you can get a Ring Taxi, or hire a car and do it.

Definitely do the Millau bridge in France.

And drive the massive Alpine tunnels.

Zurich is a lovely city - make sure you drink tea and each nice chocolate - and feel all sophisticated :D

Is Zurich as far as you want to go or are you willing to travel further? Some of the posts say about Millau but that's a lot further.

If your going to Zurich then this won't be far away :

Baden-Baden, Germany to Freudenstadt, Germany - Google Maps

It's actually featured in the latest Shell V-Power magazine.

I'd be tempted to do an extra three hours or so down to the Milan and or the Italian Lakes (Como/Garda). You could then go up through Bormio (Stelvio Pass) onto Grossglockner, Salztburg (pop in to the Eagles Nest) maybe then a blat across Germany (it's goes quick at Autobahn speeds ;) ) to the Nurburgring and then back from there by the normal routes.

Loads of choice. I guess it depends how much driving you want to do (and how much fun driving you want) and how much sight seeing/lazying around etc.

No route suggestions, just a tip. Make sure that you have the spare bulbs/fire extinguisher/reflective vest/triangle required by the different countries and hide any radar/laser detectors whist going through France :)

If you're coming to Zurich, you might as well pop over some nice pass into Italy and stop by Geneva on your way home?

My 2p.

Reims (Champagne, F1 grandstand for some arty pics)

'ring.

Porsche Museum (in Zuffenhausen)

Zurich, then south to...

Milan

Monaco (Columbus Hotel is the one, see if you can get room 911 ;))

Grenoble

Paris

On the Milan-Monaco-Grenoble stretch, use this wobbly but informative map to ensure you use as many of the Alpine roads listed as possible. Col de la Bonnette looks biblical (I'm going back soon). If I was taking my own car, I'd have a full sized spare on a rim in the boot in addition to the spacesaver, you're a long way from quickfit and some of the more interesting passes have rubble on 'em.

Have fun, looks like an epic trip +++

Edited by theduisbergkid

Cheers guys - only planning to go for 7 days (I.e. back on day 7) do you think it's workable to go as far as Milan?

That's a shed load of driving - I'd say no, unless you extend it to 10 days.

That's what I figured - a little excessive for 7 days.

That's what I figured - a little excessive for 7 days.

It all depends how you want to do it. Milan is a one day drive....but a full on day. If you blat down then do it then it's possible but it's probably gonna be too much driving for you. I'm assumming you want to have some stops/sight seeings/nice lunches etc. If that's the case then you'll need a little more time.

You'll have to decide what's a key selection and then you/we ;) can work it from there.

Cheers guys - only planning to go for 7 days (I.e. back on day 7) do you think it's workable to go as far as Milan?

Yes ! It just depends on how much you want to pack into 1 day. +++

Fear the fuel bill* - assuming you are taking the M3?

Cracking idea though - I was looking the other week about the best way of getting from Edinburgh to somewhere northern Europe for a wee blat to Scandawegia. Looks like a ferry to Denmark from Newcastle.

(*jesus, it is all about bloody fuel with me - must man up)

Have fun sounds like it will be great where ever you go.

If your heading off in the M3 my little bit of advice is.....

bilberry_gallon.jpg

Cracking idea though - I was looking the other week about the best way of getting from Edinburgh to somewhere northern Europe for a wee blat to Scandawegia. Looks like a ferry to Denmark from Newcastle.

It's a PITA getting to this part of the world from the UK since all the ferry company's cancelled there passenger routes to Sweden & Norway. Personally I would jump a cheapo flight from Glasgow to Oslo or Gothenburg then hire a car nevertheless, if you want to take your own car then Newcastle > Esbjerg (4-500 quid return!!!) then get the Frederikshavn to Gothenburg (or Oslo) or the Grenaa to Varberg Ferry. After that you drive back down to Esbjerg for the ferry home.

Bangle- there's a cargo ferry that takes cars/passengers from Immingham to Brevik and Gothenburg, DFDS Tor line IIRC, £200-£300. +++

I knew you'd bring the TOR line up, hence adding 'passenger routes' +++ I doubt Andrew and his good lady will want to spend 25 hours on a roll on-roll off cargo ferry with 200 (drunk) Polish truckers and you!!! :D (There's only 12 cabins on the ferry so you must fight for a bed).

200 (drunk) Polish truckers and you!!! There's only 12 cabins on the ferry so you must fight for a bed.

*books round trip*

When I did this a few years ago I did a couple of days around Belgium and Lux and did some roads in the ardenne forests - there was some lovely driving.