What tyres for my 2010 A6-C6 TFSI quattro?

avantissimo

I'm going to be needing some new tyres for my A6 3.0TFSI quattro shortly.

Its fitted with Conti Sport Contact 3 at the moment. They are superb in the wet and try, but not great in the winter.

I don't want anything cheap and nasty :-) as I know a set of decent tyres is going to be around a grand (been here many times before with the quattro models) so was wondering what other alternative tyres anyone on here have tried that they are pleased with - Pirelli, Bridgestone, Michelin etc?

My car has the 19" wheels - 255x35xR19 Y rated I think.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

I'm going to be needing some new tyres for my A6 3.0TFSI quattro shortly.

Its fitted with Conti Sport Contact 3 at the moment. They are superb in the wet and try, but not great in the winter.

I don't want anything cheap and nasty :-) as I know a set of decent tyres is going to be around a grand (been here many times before with the quattro models) so was wondering what other alternative tyres anyone on here have tried that they are pleased with - Pirelli, Bridgestone, Michelin etc?

My car has the 19" wheels - 255x35xR19 Y rated I think.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Have a look in Costco, as they are having a discount on a set of 4 Michelins.

I've noticed Michelin's and quattros in general do not wear their tyres as quickly as FWD cars!

I have Michelin Pilot Primacy HP XLs on my 2.0TDie Avant. Great tyre, good wear except in the snow. The challenge with many modern tyres is their are optimised for economy and thus have a low rolling resistance. When it comes to snow (where the tyre will be harder because of the ambient temp) they do exactly what they say on the tin and have limited grip. The only real solution to this is to put winter tyres on. In the Autocar Tyre Test last year (2010 Autocar Tyre Test the Conti came top in the RWD test and second in FWD test so clearly they are not a bad choice. In terms of price look at Event Tyres (Event Tyres) to see if they cover your area. I have used them for many years, they are usually the cheapest (cheaper than CostCo) they come to you so no hanging around in dingy waiting rooms and wasted time, also they are meticulous when it comes to not damaging your alloy wheel

Edited by jsuka6

My old A6 (now my old mans) has the 19" and runs P-zeros - which I have to say were surprisingly excellent in the snow of last year. They have also worn really well and obviously handle exceptionally in the dry and wet too.

However, I decided a set of dedicated winter wheels and snow tyres was the way to go.... suspect there will be an arguement as to who gets them in winter now though!