Extra Load Tyres?

DanG

Technical question about the need for Extra Load tyres.

My old A4 avants and cabriolet all had extra load tyres the avants being quattro and the cab just being heavy I guess.

I have recently bought an A4 Avant Quattro (B8) version and it has not come with the extra load tyres.

Should it? does anyone know what Audi say about this?

It came from a dealer with 4 new tyres on it, but the cynic in me says they were trying to save a few quid.....

What tyres are they and do they have the RNF mark instead?

Check in the handbook or maybe on the tyre pressure label for the OEM fitting.

Edit: Just been down to the garage and my 2011 A4 allroad is running DUNLOP SP SPORTMAXX GT 245/45 which aren't XL's.

Edited by Andy_Bangle

I've got the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT's on my B8 Avant quattro in the 19" flavour. They've a 96 load rating.

I had XL's on my old B6 S4 but then I expected to due to the V8 up front. No issues with them apart from they were crap in the snow. Looking at the Dunlop site suggests it's because they're Summer tyres and not all season ones!! I'm surprised Audi UK would do that.

Andy - good point about the "all season tyres". I think one big contributor to the snow problem is the large foot print.

I guess mine have a higher load rating due to them needing stiffer/stronger sidewalls as they're lower profile.

Yep and I can't justify another set of wheels/tyres for winter.

We've had the car since Sep '09 and it's still only done about 7.5k miles !!

I'm glad you raised this thread as when I checked the Dunlop site I found that the SP Sport Maxx GT's are "Run on Flat" tyres.

"The Dunlop RunOnFlat technology ensures mobility even without air. The Dunlop RunOnFlat tyre patented sidewall construction minimizes flexing and the risk of detachment from the rim. A completely deflated Dunlop RunOnFlat tyre offers continued mobility within a distance of 80 km/50 miles at 80 kmh/50 mph maximum speed – under normal driving conditions.

Advantages of the Dunlop RunOnFlat technology:

• The patented sidewall construction carries the vehicle’s weight even when the tyre is deflated.

• Special tyre construction with newly developed compounds avoids tyre destruction due to excessive flexing.

• Dunlop RunOnFlat tyres can be mounted on any standard rim (steel/alloy) without any special tools."

You never know when that might be useful ... although I hope not!

7.5k miles?!!?

I do about 2k a month and dont use it for work or commuting! Weekend commute I guess to and from the west country and a few trips here and there to France and to see friends.

Ah, actually, how many miles have you put on your bike then?! :)

The bike was doing about 1500-2500 miles a month when I was commuting and playing. ;)

Now it's just playing so it's dropped....although a long weekend up to the Dales and Lakes will up that soon.

We also stopped doing the daily run to the kids nursery (now a walk to school) so the mileage just stopped!

Just as well we intend keeping it quite a while.

Cannot wait to bin the Dunlops that came on the S4 and put it onto Goodyear Eagle Assymetrics of Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Dan - 93Y is a fairly high load rating and the highest speed rating so I think you should be alright. Have to agree though - even the Sportback is on extra load rubber - seems to be the norm nowdays.

Edited by Ian_C