Looking at RS4 tomorrow - anyone know it

spikeyboy

Going to have a look at a 2007 RS4 tomorrow at Tonbridge Audi - reg: LX07 VUT.

Black, Avant, March 07, 37,000 miles. up for £31,400

Just done a vehicle check on the car and report has shown up Stolen / Recovered by insurance company in October 2010. 1 previous owner.

Does anyone know this car ? should i be concerned that it was stolen / recovered ? presume that as only 1 regged keeper the car was given back to the original owner rather than insurance company taking ownership and selling on.

Price i feel is on the top end of the market - this may be a good reason to knock the price down.

In addition does anyone know if the Audi Warranty covers brake discs within a certain milage ?

Thanks for your help.

Definitely use it as a bargaining tool... no matter what the dealer will say to convince you it was all very straight forward and car was returned undamaged to owner, etc... it's still listed on the HPI report and if you are asking the question, a buyer in the future will ask the question too.

btw: you ever fit those rear sunblinds I sold you years back? ;)

I'd want a significant discount on a stolen/recovered vehicle, but ultimately, I wouldn't want it, in the same way I wouldn't want any car I own back after it had been stolen, as the likelihood is it will have been ragged senseless.

At the right price though, it could be a good car.

Something is not right there. I would not take the dealers word on it being hpi clear, there are a few hpi databases which in my experience I have not always found to match up the information.

Re the brakes give them a through checking before purchasing, the warranty is not designed to cover the discs/pads, however some have managed to claim if they have found issues.

Have a look over at rs246.com where you will plenty of enthusiastic owners and maybe even a few owner cars for sale with warranty

Max +++

Thanks guys - i have been on the Rs246 web site as well - lots of info that im armed with :)

Heard back from Tonbridge Audi this evening. The car is stolen / recovered - apparently only diven 20 miles then parked up, police tracked it and nabbed the bad guys when they came back for it, car was only gone for 48 hours which included the forensic time.

That is now Audi's storey - not so sure i believe it - the report says logged by insurance company, not so sure someone would call their insurance company to make a claim same day car was stolen (i could be wrong).

Anyway the voice message from audi was obviously trying to make out it wasnt a big issue (they would as they part ex'ed it without knowing) trying to keep the price up. In my mind i either walk away or 6K min has got to come off the price.

Just goes to show a £19.99 HPI check didnt pick up what a £2.99 my car check did.

Personally, I'd walk away. There'll be other cars come along that don't come burdoned with the hassle this one could potentially be.

If you're still keen, ask to see the V5 which will have the previous owner's details on it. I'm sure he/she would be pleased to give you the full version off events, whether or not it's the same as Audi's.

So Audi have now gone from saying it wasn't showing as stolen/recovered to the other end of the spectrum and can tell you exactly how many miles it was driven when stolen? I'd walk away, there will be others with much better a better and more honest track record!!

HPI seems to be often misunderstood. My mates Q7 was stolen from him then recovered and it was clear on HPI ... but then came up on a different check. HPI isn't an all encompassing check.

Given there's a choice out there., I think i'd walk.

£31k seems very steep. I've been keeping an eye on the price of the RS4's this year - as I'm hoping to get one next year. About £24-26k seems about right - and if it has indeed been recorded as a theft previously - I wouldn't pay more than £21-22k for it.

Good luck.

thanks guys.

Milo i like that idea about speaking to previous owner - we may even be able to have a laugh at hime getting one over Audi and them not picking the stolen / recovered up :)

Audi didnt change their story - they said HPI didnt show anything so didnt know where i got my info - told them from my car check. Suggested they contact the previous owner who is a customer of theirs (or was :) ) to find out if it had been stolen / recovered. that is when it was confirmed to Audi and they were given the info.

Will go along tomorrow for the test drive, and see how things pan out - can see myself walking away though.

Problem is finding a low miler - any car i buy would have to be below £40k miles - not tomany of them around with a fair bit of travelling, which my time doesnt really allow for. Plus the only real colours i would consider are Sprint Blue, Black or Imola Yellow with Black optics (although i dont think the wife will like that colour :) )

HPI seems to be often misunderstood. My mates Q7 was stolen from him then recovered and it was clear on HPI ... but then came up on a different check. HPI isn't an all encompassing check.

I don't think it's misunderstood, I think it's intentionally mis-sold, as they make it sound like it is an all encompassing check, and that it'll reveal the cars history, when in reality, it appears not to even record something as basic as a stolen vehicle, one of the most important things your looking for when buying a vehicle.

I don't think it's misunderstood, I think it's intentionally mis-sold, as they make it sound like it is an all encompassing check, and that it'll reveal the cars history, when in reality, it appears not to even record something as basic as a stolen vehicle, one of the most important things your looking for when buying a vehicle.

It wasn't until Scottys mates issue with the Q7 that I became aware of this massive flaw in HPI's information. If a car is on the Police's stolen database at the time of doing a HPI it will show up as stolen. It does not show cars that have previously been stolen and then recovered without the insurance company paying out. Rubbish!!

£31k seems very steep. I've been keeping an eye on the price of the RS4's this year - as I'm hoping to get one next year. About £24-26k seems about right - and if it has indeed been recorded as a theft previously - I wouldn't pay more than £21-22k for it.

Good luck.

What he said +++

Spikeboy, there are 58 RS4's on Autotrader with sub 40k miles on the clock. Norwich Audi has a black one with 23'000 on the clock for £26k. It might be a journey to pick it up but surely it's worth the effort versus buying a car which is vastly overpriced, previously stolen and very difficult to sell (when the time comes) just because the dealer is close to home?

Test drive one locally to confirm you want one and then you can buy from anywhere and all it will cost you is a train ticket to go and pick it up. I got my VXR8 from Southampton and it was a great day going down there on the train and driving it all the way home +++

Agreed. I meant it's misunderstood by the Public at large. I do think that the dealers sell on vehicles happily telling the punter "it's HPI clear" and not mentioning the fact they know it's Stolen / Recovered.

That's probably why my mate shifted his Q7 to a dealer without any impact on the price despite them knowing it was stolen / recovered. I bet the current owner doesn't.

Went to see the car this morning with wife and two boys in toe icon_smile.gif took the car for a drive (as did the wife) it drove very well. Car was in very good condition inside and out, previous owner must have had it detailed at some stage as very few swirl marks (or he took great care in Cleaning it).

Side Bolsteres all worked out, Exhuast Flaps worked ok. DRC seemed ok for me looking.

Looked like new Discs on front. Wheels had been referbed, not didnt look a great job as looked like they had sprayed over the old areas where the weights were - in my experience over sprayed referbs on wheels = lacker peeling in around 18 months.

Now the bad points.

Audi advert says. Bluetooth phone prep - nope doesnt have it.

Audi advert says front center arm rest - nope doesnt have this either

Audi advert says carbon fibre trim - nope it has aluminium.

So what else doent it have that they are saying it does ??????? FFS it not that hard to correctly list a vehicle for sale.

Have asked for a true list of what the car does and doesnt have, and what work has been done to it.

On the RS4 does it have a switch on the lights if it has Auto lights ? - on my B6 S4 on the dial light switch it has "A" for auto - does the RS4 have this as well ?

Oh and they were not keen to move on the price, he tired the old look there are only 11 RS4's for sale (showing me the Audi network) to which i mentioned how many there were on the likes of Pistonheads and Autotrader. he then dismissed Warranty Direct as useless. (in fact there are 34 on the Audi Network - looking when i got home)

Also mentioned the fact its stolen / recovered is going to effect the value of the car, to which he replied "you think so" all surprised, then said that they would not devalue the car if i p/x it with them in a few years, asked for that in writting to which he replied i dont think we can do that (go figure).

All he kept saying was if you put down a £500 deposit we can make sure it doesnt get sold to anyone else - somehow i think this is going to be passed on somewhere else fairly soon.

I have a feeling its a fairly basic specced car, stolen / recovered with a way to high price tag.

All in all a fairly painful experience - had a nice drive though icon_smile.gif

Oh and incase you need to know the reg plate is: LX07 VUT

@Busby - i know what your saying, had seen the Norwich Audi one - sadly its a saloon and wife wants the Avant - plus it has that fugly GSM phone holder on the dash.

I guess my search for my RS4 will start in ernest (has to be Sprint Blue or Black, Avant, low Milage prefer 2007, plus a few other bits and pecies) - if i dont find one in a month or two it will be a B8 S4

Salesmen can be such idiots at times, how stupid do they think people are? "We'll buy it back from you at a good price despite the stolen/recovered marker" - of course you will :rolleyes:

Now you know you both like the way it drives it should be fairly easy to find one.......

RS4

RS4

RS4

Colour choice is obviously a personal taste but I've always liked the Mugello blue on the RS4 too. Good luck finding one you like +++

Many salesmen and 2ndhand car dealers do not know the specs of the cars they are selling. Too many gadgets and electronics. They can also just look at a screen on the dash and THINK it has something when it doesn't.

Don't they still have the boot sticker/manual sticker with all the toys listed as 3 & 4 letter acronyms?

Many salesmen and 2ndhand car dealers do not know the specs of the cars they are selling. Too many gadgets and electronics. They can also just look at a screen on the dash and THINK it has something when it doesn't.

Don't they still have the boot sticker/manual sticker with all the toys listed as 3 & 4 letter acronyms?

Yes they do!

Just seen a Sprint blue avant for sale on my drive home. It's got 49k miles which maybe more than you want but its up for 26000 pounds. Sorry don't know how to put up a link on my phone but its A1 autocentre bournemouth castle lane. Goggles 1st or 2nd find. Just checked autotrader and there are a couple of low milers for circa 25k.