Engine cutting out/stalling

ChrisGoulding

Trying to sort a mates car out for him - his car is a 2001 Audi A3 1.8t 159 engine code AUM 80,000miles.

The idle is fine as a rule, but when driving the engine will stall at roundabouts, etc although not every time. When accelerating either normally or heavily, the engine is very jerky and the turbo pulls back, but again not every time. He describes it as running on kangaroo fuel!!!

I have unplugged and cleaned the MAF and when the engine is running and unplugged the MAF, the engine carries on running, just a bit lumpy at times. It doesnt cut out!!

The CEL is on and scanning with VAG-COM it shows the N249 as a mechanical malfunction. I have cleaned that and checked its operation, but it seems fine. The solenoid is operating and the valve is closing off correctly when connected to a 12v supply. The other fault codes that come are P1297/17705 - pressure drop between turbo and valve and also P1127/17535 which is the fuel trim/bank 1 too rich. I am assuming this last code is because it isnt fuelling right because of the other issues.

Could a faulty MAF cause the other issues or is it a case of a faulty MAF and something else?

The 'pressure drop' between turbo and valve might say it all. Check all air pipes and connections between the two of them.

I checked everything and all the pipes seemed intact. I have changed his DV and erased the codes. Cars drives much better now and the CEL doesnt come on. BUT, it now has a rough idle and hunts between 600 to 850rpm, although it does settle down at around 750/800 and just occasionally drops the revs before bouncing back up.

Faulty MAF??

• 2 years later...

so what was the final resolution, I have a engine that stalls when engaginging the clutch allowing the engine to rev "back" to a rpm that might be to low and than the engine stalls. I have seen many complains and I have the impression that it is a software error because it happens to many VAG type engines a;; using very similar configurations ànd ECU