Just ordered my new car :)

Phantom

Well after 8 years of A4 cab ownership I have decided to go for something different. After debating whether to go for a black or white A7, I have gone for black :). I have been looking around for the past couple of months and I was originally going for a nearly new one as I thought I wouldn't be able to get a decent spec'd new A7 within my budget. However after a bit of phoning around I have found a new one with a very healthy 10% discount!, here is the spec.

- 3.0 TDi Quattro SLine

- Phantom Black

- Black Valcona Leather

- 20” 5 Segment Wheels

- Tech Pack (head up display, online service, Google maps and MMI touchpad)

- Privacy Glass

- Bose

- Piano Black Inlays

So it doesn't have a few of the options I was after, but I had to compromise somewhere and as far as I am concerned it has all the major options for future resale, not that I will be planning to sell anytime soon. The good news is that it is in the dealer network already and I will be able to pick it up next Saturday, just need to transfer my private plate and get a tracker fitted. Can't wait. Interestingly the dealer I am using will receive a bonus at the end of September for the number of A7s they sell up until then (Audi's way of trying to get more A7s on the roads I guess), so if this bonus is quite high it may partly explain why I was able to get a good discount.

Here is a pic, not of the actual car, but looks identical to this.

attachment.php?attachmentid=43790&d=1308429184

post-1505-137914470147_thumb.jpg

Cheers Booster, I completely agree with you, I was unsure when I first saw the early photos of the A7 at launch, but when I saw and sat inside an A7 two months ago my opinion changed. The thing I can't get my head around is how the tax and emissions are identical to my wife's 1.4 Vauxhall Corsa !, Audi has certainly put a lot of effort into making this particular car green friendly, so in the long it will be a lot cheaper to run than my current car.

Currently have the 3.2 V6, superb engine and overall the car has been faultless in 81k miles. There is suppose to be a new twin turbo 3.0TDi coming out later this year which is more powerful than the 3.0T in the S5! Seems strange but I have never owned a diesel car before, I have always had petrol ones.

Very nice indeed Phantom - and of course the black choice means you don't have to change your name.:roflmao:

I've seen a couple and they're a big and very noticeable car with a lot of presence. Just make sure you switch those cocklights off within the first 5 minutes of ownership.:grin:

I like the A7...Photo`s don`t do the car justice....I`v seen a few in the flesh....and imo it looks very stylish......but....and is`t there always a but... a guy up the road from me has just bought a base model A7(SE)....flat black with standard 18" wheels....and it looks plain dull....you`d never believe it was the same car as you`v bought...or for that matter all the other A7`s I ve seen....Just goes to prove how much a decent set of wheels and the right paint job can make to the aesthetics of a car.....If I get the chance I`ll take a photo this week and post it.

ps...I should have added...you`ll love the 3.0tdi...Like Booster I`v also bought a car with a 3.0tdi engine....They are incredibly refined and pack a decent puch as well....loads of mid range grunt means a silent and relaxed drive...but knock it down a cog or two and the motor with accelerate like the best of them...making overtaking a breeze.

By all accounts the uprated 3.0tdi fitted to the XF"s" model gives it Starship enterprise like acceleration....and no doubt the same could be said for the equivalent BMW as well....and I`am sure the new 3.0tdi engine Audi is introducing will not disappoint either.....However the standard 3.0tdi fitted to the XF(240bhp)...and also the A5...which I tested last year...had more than enough grunt for me

Edited by Mr Man

Couldn't agree more Mr Man, I have seen a number of A7s with poor specs, 18" wheels, flat instead of metallic paint (white excluded) and also they have scrimped and saved on the options that are ordered as well. I think I mentioned in an earlier post, but when the A7 was launched late last year Audi instructed their dealers, for some reason, to only order SE spec models, it is only in the last few months that dealers have been ordering SLine models.

As a result the SE model was featured in many of the magazine reviews. I am guessing that Audi didn't want to get any negative press from the harder suspension in the SLine A7. Also on the A5, everyone says not to go for the 20" wheels as it affects the ride quality and yet many of the dealer ordered A7s have the ten spoke 20" wheels. The dealer I am sourcing mine from spec'd a handful of SLine models, not high spec but with the essentials such as Tech pack etc. As a result of clever specs and keen pricing they have sold all their A7s and they are having to source mine from another dealer in the UK, not sure where. I think in some way Audi UK have shot themselves in the foot by allowing dealers to order cars at a cr*p spec with options that many won't consider important and more importantly allowing them to price them out of the market.

For the record I am getting mine from Crewe Audi and so far I cannot fault their service. I phoned up Tonbridge Audi on Friday, second attempt to get a test drive of their black A7, "sorry Sir our general manager has taken the car home for the weekend", I phoned up the same dealer a month back to test drive the same car and the general manager had taken the car to Marbella on holiday. Complete joke and I might send a letter to Audi UK about this, do they not want to sell their cars or not ?

I`v slated the s-line suspension a few times.....however the 3.0tdi A5 s-line on 20" wheels I tested last summer was fine....a massive improvement on my 5yr old A3 s-line on 18" wheels...which was incredibly unforgiving.....I was seriously considering buying an A5 sport on 19"wheels...I ended up getting an XF...absolutely no regrets....although at the time I was genuinely torn between the two.....I hope you enjoy the car...I saw my first one in Austria earlier this year....Phantom Black...and it looked stunning....I had to do a double take...as I could`t quite believe it was the same dull looking car I`d seen in press photo`s.

Hi Phantom. Hurrah! Me too from an A5 3.0TDI Coupe to an A7

After test driving A5, A7, CLS, E-Class, XK, XJ, Lexus it came down to another A5 versus A7.

I specified up an A5 to A7 levels and it came to nearly £50K list (£10K extras)! The A7 will cost me £5K more than the A5 (but hopefullly only drop 3K more against that in depreciation over 2 years, time will tell) but I felt worth it to be a little bit different and have a play with the cool new tech (much better Nav, Head Up Display etc) and nice interior. So I pulled the trigger last week on:

AUDI A7 3.0 TDI Quattro S-Line 5dr S Tronic

Metallic - Ice Silver

Valcona Leather - Black

Storage Pack - A7

Technology Pack - A7

S-line sports suspension

Quattro sports differential

Speed limit display

Cruise control

Lane keep assist

Rear view camera

Electric/heated/folding door mirrors with memory

First aid kit

Reversible boot mat

Matt brushed aluminium inlay

19" 5 twin spoke alloy wheels

Was looking at Daytona Grey but supply difficulties on that one due to Japan and I am already at Build Week 39 (end September) so opted for safe and simple silver. I like the blacks and grey for the A7 but not the cleaning. With the S-Line black or black interior I also like the contrast. Look forward to hearing of your experiences whilst I wait for mine.

Hi Phantom. Hurrah! Me too from an A5 3.0TDI Coupe to an A7

After test driving A5, A7, CLS, E-Class, XK, XJ, Lexus it came down to another A5 versus A7.

I specified up an A5 to A7 levels and it came to nearly £50K list (£10K extras)! The A7 will cost me £5K more than the A5 (but hopefullly only drop 3K more against that in depreciation over 2 years, time will tell) but I felt worth it to be a little bit different and have a play with the cool new tech (much better Nav, Head Up Display etc) and nice interior. So I pulled the trigger last week on:

This is a real gripe for me at the moment.....because you`ll never see a return on 10k worth of options...ok the car may be easier to sell....but come the time to sell/trade the dealer will just look up the price of the model and your options are worth sweet FA.....Audi/BMW/ MB.....know exactly which options are most commonly specced in any given market.

Personally I think they should introduce another model line....ie sport premium/s-line premium...and include the popular options in the spec....such as Sat Nav/Xenons/cruise/Electic-heated seats/reversing camera/folding/dimming mirrors etc..etc....ok the car will cost 5k+ more...but when the time comes to sell you`ll see some return on your higher specced car.

Jaguar did this when the XF was first launched...sadly with the updated, face-lifted model...their going down the German route....less standard features...and bucket load of options....However Sat Nav/leather/Xenons and cruise are still standard....for now

This is a real gripe for me at the moment.....because you`ll never see a return on 10k worth of options...ok the car may be easier to sell....but come the time to sell/trade the dealer will just look up the price of the model and your options are worth sweet FA.....Audi/BMW/ MB.....know exactly which options are most commonly specced in any given market.

Personally I think they should introduce another model line....ie sport premium/s-line premium...and include the popular options in the spec....such as Sat Nav/Xenons/cruise/Electic-heated seats/reversing camera/folding/dimming mirrors etc..etc....ok the car will cost 5k+ more...but when the time comes to sell you`ll see some return on your higher specced car.

Jaguar did this when the XF was first launched...sadly with the updated, face-lifted model...their going down the German route....less standard features...and bucket load of options....However Sat Nav/leather/Xenons and cruise are still standard....for now

I agree and one of the nice things about the A7 (and hopefully for residuals) is it is very well specified as standard, even if I did then add another £5K+ worth

Great news Hashluck, before you know it we will be arranging an A7 meet LOL, in fact do you remember that mini A4 cab meet back in 2003 at that Classic Car meet in Marlow? Mine was the silver A4 cab at the opposite end to your blue cab.

Great spec car you have there and like you I went through and spec'd up an A5 like for like with the A7 and was amazed at how much the A5 came out to. The other consideration is that the A5 is going to have a refresh later this year, to be shown at Frankfurt I think, so your A5 may or may not have made it through to the updated model. I think they quoted me an end of October delivery for a factory car but they would not have been in a position to offer a discount on that car.

I spent quite a bit of time looking through the options on the A7, BUT I wanted to try and stick within my budget and just get the essential items. If I wanted I could easily have spent £65k (LED headlights, Night Vision, all types of Assist, and as for the B&O HiFi at £6k alone, no thanks !) The Tech Pack for me was an essential and I am looking forward to playing with that. Would have liked a Sunroof, but again £1100 extra and it probably would have been a factory order for that.

To be honest the SLine A7 is well spec'd already and as you know has many standard features that are an option on the A5.

I guess I am taking a risk with the looks, but it is a grower and may not be everyone's taste but I really like it now and moving from a cab it will provide me with a bit more practicality as an every day car. Most of all I am looking forward to the cheaper running costs and the refined nature of the TDi engine which always seems to get good reviews on here.

As for depreciation, I think my car will hold up well, I managed to get a 10% discount so that effectively covers the cost of my optional extras anyway.

I do like Mr Man's suggestion on the two pack levels, I think they do it in the U.S with premium and comfort packs. Why does Audi think we really want to choose for example between three different options for the external mirrors ?, just include adjustable, folding, dimmable, heated mirrors as standard. Rant over :)

Edited by Phantom

I agree and one of the nice things about the A7 (and hopefully for residuals) is it is very well specified as standard, even if I did then add another £5K+ worth

Lol...we all do it....I have`t looked at the A7 option list for a while...but you can blow £1,500 to 2k on metalic paint and upgraded wheels on virtually any Audi....and that`s before you start to look at the real toys.

Phantom....I also noticed the packs offered in the US market when I was looking to buy an A5.....This has been a hot topic on the XF forum....high standard spec for each Model line...Luxury/Premium Lux/Portfolio.....the Portfolio being as good as fully loaded...As I said in my previous post...Jaguar have chipped away at the standard features...and it`s not gone down well....Additional premium packs make so much more sense......But the main benefit is the money spent on US style option packs will not only add to your enjoyment of the car...but you`ll get some financial return on them as well.....Anyway...enough from me....Great motors and I hope you both enjoy them.

I would say...I`am looking forward to seeing the pics...but...as we all know...for some reason it`s not a photogenic car.....But it`s certainly a hansom beast in the flesh...The interior is gorgeous as well...by far my favourite Audi interior.

Edited by Mr Man

Phantom, yes I remember the Cab day well, I seem to recall there was a video and pictures on here somewhere. You have a good memory though remembering the colour of my Cab. Just to age it a lot more, where we were that day was the only place in the South East of England you could find a pair of Red Kites nesting. People would come for miles. Look at the number of Kites you see now, even got a pair in my back garden.

Specifying the A7 was, as usual for a new car, full of angst. Because of the high standard spec though I decided to spec it much more for my requirements than worry about having to add things for re-sale. I actually tried to add as little as possible.

Herewith my logic (with apologies for those of you who have not devoured the A7 brochure to the same level as Phantom and I):

AUDI A7 3.0 TDI quattro 5dr S Tronic - Engine/Gearbox/quattro an easy decision for me. No to Multi-Chronic, No to Petrol. Great engine I know from my A5, quattro a must.

S-Line - by the time you have factored in a decent Alloy Wheel upgrade and Sport (or S-Line) Suspension and Valcona Leather (with the beautifully upholstered Sports Seats) the S-Line has already paid for itself plus you get the other S-Line niceties and a better re-sale. To keep the ride more comfortable I decided against any of the 20" wheels but stayed with the standard S-Line 19" 5 twin spokes. Also the 20" wheels I saw in dealerships stuck out from the tyres and the demo cars all showed that this would cause kerb rash pretty quickly. Plus wheels can be changed down the line.

I first test drove an SE with Air Suspension. Nice but the car felt big and limo like. I then test drove an S-Line with S-Line Sports Suspension and quattro Sports Diff. Night and day, here was a agille, fine handling car. Trouble was I now also had to add:

S-Line sports suspension (no cost)

quattro Sports Differential (£1100)

A little bit nervous about the S-Line suspension but it was on the test car and I am sticking with 19" wheels so hopefully a good compromise.

Technology Pack was another no brainer for me as one reason to go for the A7 was the vastly superior Sat-Nav and HUD. Yes the A7 has basic Nav as standard but the Alternate Routes, MMI Touch and adaptation of Plus take it to another level.

Having got the HUD though I then wanted to make the most of it and add:

Speed Limit Display

which I thought would be a really useful thing to have displayed. Trouble is that this option has to be combined with:

Lane Keep Assist (which also gets a nice display in the HUD if activated)

(or you can combine Speed Limit Display with Side Assist but I decided I am in charge of my own destiny when checking blind spots but may not be aware I am wandering out of lane and on the long European travels I undertake, Lane Assist could be a life saver).

As for the On-Line Services as part of the Tech Pack, I am not sure I will do them justice but I will have fun trying!

The A5 has really handy grocery bag hooks which I shalll miss and I am concerned about items rolling about in the vast hatchback space so I went with:

Storage pack - A7

not sure how well or easily it will tie things down as yet but better than nothing. Also I like to try and keep the boot floor nice/undamaged, so:

Reversible boot mat

and because of the aformention European jaunts:

First aid kit (come on Audi, make it standard, cheapskates!)

Up until a few weeks ago I had not got one scratch on my A5 Alloys and then in two weekls I kerbed two of them. I think this could have been avoided with the addition of:

Rear view camera

Finally, I got a good deal as well and had a few hundred Pounds left in the ktty so added:

Electric/heated/folding door mirrors with memory

Finally/Finally I had to choose the colour. I have an interesting (though excellent in my opinoon) car care regime and like my cars to look good but it does limit me to lighter colours. Daytona Grey was as dark as I dare to go but in any case this (S-Line only) colour is on extended delivery so I went with Ice Silver whcih I think will contrast well with the black interior and:

Matt brushed aluminium inlays

So that is how I arrived at my spec. I could have spent thousands more. Thoughts on what I did NOT buy:

20" Wheels - see above

Bose - this was difficult. However I have not been that impressed with previous Audi Bose or B+O installations whereas I have been impressed with standard Audio offerings, so I decided to trust in the standard Audi set-up and spend the £1K on quattro Sports Diff instead. Might be my only re-sale regret.

B+O - er.....£6K+!

Ambient Lighting - not very clear what this gvies you for £300 over the extensive A7 Lighting Pack so I left it.

Privacy Glass - can see why people like it but not for me.

Sunroof - if it were Panoramic I would have gone for it but there is nothing much to this offering (other than an expensive way to lighten the interior).

Adaptive Cruise Control - just too expensive, would make the standard Cruise Control make sense though and is definitely a nice to have.

Advanced Key - A7 has Keyless Go anyway and I do not trust the other aspects of Advanced Key.

High Beam Assist - I can do this myself and I am also intrigued as to what adaption of the lights comes with MMI Nav Plus (it eludes to this).

LED Headlights - nice sounding but too expensive. Nice to have.

Night Vision - gimmick? Expensive.

Park Assist - gimmick? Audi sales guy said it did not work too well anyway.

So there you go, me and MY A7

The other thing I forgot to mention was that mine is a private versus business purchase, so within reason I can spec what I want. You know I would like to be a fly on the wall of Audi A7's marketing department in Germany when they try and get an understanding of why some options are requested time again, and others such as park assist are not.

Some very good reasoning on the options that you have gone for and I think we are more or less in agreement. I don't know why but there are so many assistance aids in the A7 brochure, almost as though they are trying to remove the fun from driving.

I like the idea of the reverse camera, but the spec they found for me did not have it, but I noticed that the MMI had a visual front and rear check anyway, so not really a detractor to be honest. Like wise with the Advanced key option, I like the keyless start which is half the option of the advanced key on the A5, so nothing really lost there. Same goes for the ambient lighting, it provides subtle lighting under the centre console/transmission tunnel, and the door sill plates are illuminated as well which looks cool at night and the lighting pack is controllable via the MMI. Gone overboard I think !

I think many of the options that are available now, shall we say the least favoured, will end up in the standard list soon and I think next year's brochure will be a lot shorter from the options point of view. Why they haven't made things such as the storage pack and first aid kit standard is beyond me. Then again we had that debate with the lighting pack and tyre pressure monitor on the A4/A5.

As for black, well I have had a black cab for five years and I don't mind the cleaning side of things and fortunately my garage is big enough to house the A7 anyway, which is a relief.

Back to Marlow, do you remember the synchronised roof drop that we did, Ari recorded it and placed somewhere on this forum after the event, along with a load of photos.