Don't buy this 135i

DHA

It's another lesson that HPI doesn't check for the stolen/recovered marker.

Hopefully the more people that see thread like this, the more will realise you need to do more checking than just HPI.

Such as...?

I ran my S8 that was stolen and still unrecovered into that my car check text thingi and it came up as Stolen and to contact Staffordshire Police.

Looks like it was mine, spec identical with the extra bits I added after I bought it.

I adjusted the link to remove my postcode and now its broken it

After deleting it down to just the autotrader bit, it still shows a postcode beginning with L. Is that yours? Might want to edit it even more.

Such as...? I ran my S8 that was stolen and still unrecovered into that my car check text thingi and it came up as Stolen and to contact Staffordshire Police.

the check that MyCarCheck runs is different to a normal HPI check a dealer uses, that's what has caused all the conflab !

Postcode is not an L start so think I am ok, ta anyway.

Was thinking about why it might be "HPI clear". It was stolen on a personal plate, which the insurance company took possession of as it was still assigned to the vehicle. (I was given the option of purchasing it off them). I suspect they have removed this and put it on a 10 plate to sell on. Therefore the HPI might not show stolen as it wasn't stolen on that reg? (I suspect it might say that the car was registered under another reg mark at some point).

Looks like it was mine, spec identical with the extra bits I added after I bought it.

I adjusted the link to remove my postcode and now its broken it

Matey can you do a link that does work with another postcode? I know a couple of people in the market at the moment and would like to warn them +++

I'm guessing it's this one Dave ?

2010 BMW 135i M Sport DCT

Used BMW 1 Series 135i M Sport DCT, Sheffield, South Yorkshire | Silverleaf Sports & Prestige Cars

If it is I'm intrigued how on earth this doesn't get flagged by an HPI check. Surely the changing of the plate can't be the reason. Is there a more fool-proof way of checking a vehicles provenance? If I bought a vehicle like that from a dealer like that and it had been HPI checked I would (perhaps naively) think that's about as safe as you could get.:o

2010 BMW 135i M Sport DCT

It's might be HPI clear but it WAS stolen and recovered, and did approx 2000 miles during that 2 month period.

I remember you buying this car....and the manner in which it was stolen......it`s listed as having one owner...ie you....you covered 2k miles...the current milage is 12k...so obviously someone else has owned the car....so that would mean it`s had at least 2 owners.....If a car is stolen and recovered...is the first owners name removed from the V5 and DVLA records....Or was the milage racked up by the scum bags who stole the car.?

When it departed it had 10,005 miles on the clock. I had gone to pick a parcel up that night and passed 10k as I arrived at the parcel place, it's 5 miles from my house so thats how i know what the mileage was at the time. It was stolen on 31st December, and around about the 1st March the police called to say they had recovered it and did I own the contents (which I am yet to get returned but some were missing when they found it) so it has covered 2000 miles in the two months it was in the crooks hands. It was in perfect condition when it left, no marks on alloys etc, but that can all be hidden - as perhaps can a history?

It was stolen on a personal plate, which the insurance company took possession of as it was still assigned to the vehicle. (I was given the option of purchasing it off them)

What, this for real?!?! I'd go through the fecking roof if my car was nicked and the insurers said I couldn't have the plate back.......... but that I could BUY it back off them?

The moment one realised their car had been stolen, what would stop them going to the DVLA office and getting the plate taken off and put on retention? You'd not have the tax disc, but don't need to hand this in at the time of transfer.

If it is I'm intrigued how on earth this doesn't get flagged by an HPI check.

Coz HPI list stolen cars and not stolen/recovered.

From their site :

"The HPI Check will not provide details of vehicles that have been recorded as stolen but have subsequently been recovered without damage."

The "without damage" bit is misleading. Just assume that once a car is recovered then it's removed from the stolen database that they check.