Cold starting issue

lang24

Hey guys im back but this time hoping its not to servere, the bora since the last host of problems is running fine boost is still there and when its warm goes like stink. Just returned from the south of france in it and its been solid. Now for my niggle, when i start the car from cold (letting the glow pug light flick on n off process takes about 2 seconds) it always jus needs a short kick from the starter never alot of cranking, but sometimes it just about fires and runs lumpy for around 5-10seconds then sorts herself out to a decent idle. let it idle for a bit and every now n then she coughes to the best of my explaination its a "blip" then returns to idling this happens every few seconds and with a gentle rev a cloud of blueish/white smoke comes from the exhaust. (not thick and not alot) once it warms up its fine and starts on the button. i wanna try a set of glow plugs in it but wanna see wat you guys think first. cheers+++

also whilst im here question for tidy, im thinking of changing my 2001 vectra sxi 1.8 16v for possibly a skoda octavia vrs mk1 around 2004/2005 can you advise me on wether its a good buy? a friend of a friend has a 2005 seat leon cupra r for sale its got the same engine as the bora which is putting me off somewhat due to the problems ive had on my friends one. but the seat has done 68k and is an 05 reg full leather and seat sat nav. decisions decisions. any advise as always would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys im back but this time hoping its not to servere, the bora since the last host of problems is running fine boost is still there and when its warm goes like stink. Just returned from the south of france in it and its been solid. Now for my niggle, when i start the car from cold (letting the glow pug light flick on n off process takes about 2 seconds) it always jus needs a short kick from the starter never alot of cranking, but sometimes it just about fires and runs lumpy for around 5-10seconds then sorts herself out to a decent idle. let it idle for a bit and every now n then she coughes to the best of my explaination its a "blip" then returns to idling this happens every few seconds and with a gentle rev a cloud of blueish/white smoke comes from the exhaust. (not thick and not alot) once it warms up its fine and starts on the button. i wanna try a set of glow plugs in it but wanna see wat you guys think first. cheers+++

The starter issue might be an EGR valve issue.

IIRC, it should close when you turn the engine off. If it stay open, then more 'stuff' gets through as you start it, so it's not impressed.

Might be worth cleaning the EGR with Wynns Carb Cleaner from Halfrauds - and a long straw for it.

It's quite easy to clean and you don't have to take anything out.

Remve the engine cover and on the left, half way up the engine bay (from the front) you'll see a hose with a 90 deg bend. Unclip it carefully (DON'T LET THE CLIP CLOSE ON THE PIPE OR CLOSE AT ALL) You can move the clip onto the inlet pipe. you can then see the gunk and oily crap in the EGR. Use a few cloths and generous helpings of the carb cleaner.

Refit it, wait a 30 mins and then start the car. Lots of smoke will be produced, but don't worry, it'll settle down. I did this twice on my Bora and all was sweet - even after 202K miles!

The starter issue might be an EGR valve issue.

IIRC, it should close when you turn the engine off. If it stay open, then more 'stuff' gets through as you start it, so it's not impressed.

Might be worth cleaning the EGR with Wynns Carb Cleaner from Halfrauds - and a long straw for it.

It's quite easy to clean and you don't have to take anything out.

Remve the engine cover and on the left, half way up the engine bay (from the front) you'll see a hose with a 90 deg bend. Unclip it carefully (DON'T LET THE CLIP CLOSE ON THE PIPE OR CLOSE AT ALL) You can move the clip onto the inlet pipe. you can then see the gunk and oily crap in the EGR. Use a few cloths and generous helpings of the carb cleaner.

Refit it, wait a 30 mins and then start the car. Lots of smoke will be produced, but don't worry, it'll settle down. I did this twice on my Bora and all was sweet - even after 202K miles!

Hello Cruiser647, when i took the turbo out to have it de-sooted! i cleaned an extremely coked up egr valve and inlet manifold and tested the egr with my vacuum tester, all works ok and opens and closes when it should. Then refitted with new gaskets. Your right it does smoke like a gooden and runs slightly rough but this shouldnt keep on happening after 1000+miles driving down to south of france and back!

• 1 month later...

hey guys still scratching my head with the bora, it only seems to happen when cold and once warm it clears. it only runs like this wen at idle if i start it and drive straight off its ok and no smoke, yet if i leave it running on tickover when first started it has a few coughs and kicks a cloud out the back when u rev it. i was hoping mybe tidy was browsing here but i think hes missed it lol. again thanks to cruiser but ive already done this and driven it to france and back so its done round 2000miles since i done all the work.