Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fenn

selling my car

7 posts in this topic

I can'r believe it - the car that only a few days ago i was saying I'd NEVER sell, that I've owned and cherished for the past 8 years, that only last week I spent a grand on - is going to go!!!!!!!

We've decided to leave the UK and divide our time between Florida and Majorca - I can't take the S8 to Majorca as we'll be living on our boat whilst we're there,and there's literally nowhere to park it,and I can't believe the complexities and hassle to import it to America -let alone the problems of leaving it standing for 6 x months at a time, so, very, very reluctantly I've decided it would be better to let the old bus go to a good home.

The problem is that i just don't know what price to advertise it for -mine's a 140,000 mile 2001, 360bhp model - superb condition, maintained regardless of cost etc etc etc,and they seem to be on the market for anything between £5000 and £10,000, so I don't know what it's worth.

I guess everbody can get a bit "precious" about their favourite car, and perhaps I am more so than most about this particular one, but if I AM going to have to "bite the bullet" and let it go, then at least I don'r want it to be a prolongued torture so i want to put it at a realistic price.

I stll can'r believe i'm doing this - even the reg S8 WOW is going.

Last night I even found myself looking at web sites that offer storage facilities for "classic" cars, but the couple I contacted are takling very silly money -O.K. fora few hundred grands worth of Lambo, Bugatti, Ferrari et al, but not for us normal people I fear. -just shows how badly i DON'T want to sell it

Has anybody on here recently bought or sold a similar car so can give me a realistic idea of what to ask for it?

I hate to say this (as its not what you want to hear) but there are nice S8 D2 examples with lower mileage than yours going for £5k or less these days, so even with the plate you may not get more than £6k, which sucks when they are cosseted etc. you can get low mileage 60-90,000 mile examples for 6-7k max. Good luck with the sale though, just try to get a better deal on your new car you buy over there to make sure the difference in buy and sell is still the same for you if you can.

S8 prices have really fallen I'm sad to say. Darrenjoe90 from the A8 Parts forum who has a very high spec Audi S8 in a special order colour with 121k miles on it has had it for sale for over a month at £4995 and just today dropped the price to £4,800. Another fella had his final edition 52 plate with 102k miles on it for sale at £4500, again no one bit. Figure11 on here brought his 2001 S8 with only 74k miles on it for £4.5k and would have got it for a grand less from the previous owner had he been quicker and not let a trader snap it up.

On the bright side, fuel is cheap in the US of A and you can go buy yourself another D2 Audi S8 out there!! Good luck with the move. +++

Just spotted your car on eBay. Now I've seen the full details I'd say put the car on sale for £4,500 ONO and expect about £4,000. It brings me no pleasure in saying this... But your way off the mark with £9,995. I am sad enough to watch the S8 Market like a hawk weekly. I hope you don't take offence to my price, it's just you did ask what we think it's worth and now I've seen the full details I feel I can make a fair comment. There is a 2001 Y reg in silver on autotrader with about 70k on it for £3,759 and others with lower mileage for not much more.

I have to agree with the others Fenn. You brought that car to Lutterworth if I remember. I have just bought a 2001 S8 with nearly all the toys, a few problems I have sorted with 78K in my favorite colour and I missed paying 3.5k for it privately and gave a dealer 4.5k, he wanted 5.25k.

Yeah -it was me and DIesel(the dof) at Lutterworth -really envoyed it as - so dud Diesel (he particularily enjoyed "helping out" with the BBQ -or at least -helping out with the eating of it anyway!)

Thanks for your comments and advice -I realise I'm being a tad optimistic on the price, but I'm not really "au fait" with putting things on ebay,and I was worried I'd wind up having to legally take the best offer, no matter how low, unless I put a reserve on it.

With 140k on the clock and the undoubted concerns people will have with that kind of mileage, I wouldn't expect anything like £5k for it, regardless of the buoyancy or not of the S8 market.

Best of luck with selling it though +++