Totally Hypothetical question...

patently

Entirely hypothetical, you understand...

Let's say your friend was a partner in a professional firm, and was present at a partners' meeting at which one of his staff was making submissions to the partnership regarding his terms & conditions. Let's also say that your friend was in fact in total agreement with the member of staff's point of view, and had previously proposed what the member of staff was now asking for, but had been over-ruled by his other partners. He was (therefore) now sitting back and allowing the other partners to defend the partnership position in the face of the member of staff's comments.

In that discussion, one of the other partners neatly crushes the member of staff's point, by making a factual point which undermines the member of staff's entire argument - specifically, that the member of staff is already being offered terms & conditions that are substantially better than those which applied to that partner back when he was in that member of staff's position (10 years previously...).

Your friend knows that fact to be untrue.

After the member of staff left, your friend raised this with the partner, who insisted that it was a matter of interpretation. Your friend asked how he should interpret "x is greater than y" so as to encompass a situation where y was greater than x. The other partner says that his assertion was actually that z (not x) is greater than y; that is not your friend's recollection, but in any case z is also less than y most of the time.

Your friend therefore suggests that what was said is not true and that a clarification should be made to the member of staff. The other partner flatly refuses to do so, but says that if your friend wants to then he can - but he may not disclose what x or z are, as this is private information (which it of course is).

Your friend has always tried to manage his firm in an ethical manner, and places great weight on his personal integrity. What should your friend do?

I'd say your friend should do as sees fit to. That possibly includes reminding the said partner that 10 years ago was just that - 10 years ago, so that X being greater than Y, or Z being less than Y, is entirely irrelevant anyway.

However, your friend might also want to remind the said partner that good staff, presuming the member of staff is that, are hard to find these days, that recruitment is expensive in both time and money, and the training periods and adapting new employees into organisations has lots of hidden costs with it too and that these, ultimately, might mean that meeting the staff members requests would be cheaper.

Alternatively, your friend could just define the integrity of the firm entirely by questioning why a fellow partner would see fit to lie, and that perhaps the said partner needed more scrutiny in general. Where there's smoke...

Buy your friend a beer from me +++

I'd of loved to have quit my last job on principle but had just moved house, thankfully I knew someone with a business who'd been talking to me a few months earlier so a very quick chat later and I could get out.

Did you, sorry they, let the company know the reasons for them leaving?

Been there, done that.:roflmao:

Not a friend in my case, but me personally. 12 years in a large corporate at a senior level and the last 5 as a director were very revealing. Month on month I'd unearth or be witness to all manner of bad ethics, discrimination (of all kinds, even down to the shoes someone wore) and appalling remuneration double standards of bonus taking when others were losing their jobs through no fault of their own.

I left, took all my share options with me, sold the lot up as soon as they matured and have never looked back. Resigning/leaving on a point of principle can be a hugely enlightening process.

Mind you, it is made even better if the share price when you leave is £3.94 and collapses to 8p within 2 years.:roflmao:

I feel for all of those still there, some of whom I still speak to, but it's amazing how many say "I want to leave"....but never do anything about it.

Well done to your friend.+++

Have fun at Caterham.:grin:

Good for you!

I did a similar-ish thing that untimely ended up with me at the cab firm.

I was regional manager for a very well known electrical wholesalers, if your an electrician, you undoubtedly will have an account with them, I'm still just about under my 10 year non disclosure/competition order thing though so I can't say who they are.

But I got so hacked off with the orders coming from the top, and how he expected us to stitch up our customers, despite encouraging the 'mates' atmosphere between staff and customers, that I told him exactly what I thought of him, and what he could do with his company, which came as a bit of a shock to him, as I was his 'golden boy' who he'd seen rise through the ranks from van driver to area manager, about as high as you can get within the company.

10 year competition clause?! Fook that's a long one, in the business i'm in where it's fairly easy to pinch customers as they like the service you personally provide them (rather than buying a tangible product) 6 months is the norm but I had 12 months in my contract because of my position in my last company.

To be honest, I wanted out anyway, I just didn't realise it. :rolleyes:

Sitting behind a desk all day was destroying me as a person, i'm so much happier now, even if I did trade wealth for poverty! Less us more as they say.

The ten year clause is a long one, and to be honest, I doubt it'd stand up in court, in fact I know several of my branch managers who were on the same terms that have either set up in direct competition, or moved to the opposition, with no threats from the original company.

For those of you mentioning contracts or compromise agreements that prevent you setting up in competition to former employers...

It has been proven in court that they're unforceable beyond 6 months. The EU Law changed it all a few years back. It doesn't matter what it says in your documents, if you go to court you'll win if they try to say it can be for any longer than 6 months. It was all to do with competition law and, freedom of rights and something like that.

It has been proven in court that they're unforceable beyond 6 months.

Minor modification to that - although it's pretty much true - if an employer can prove you only took a position to prepare for moving on then it's entirely feasible to enforce longer non-competition clauses, but they have to be reasonable. 1 year probable, 10 years - no chance.

Wishing your friend all the very best +++ Looking forward to the first meet at caterham academy to cheer you on :)

I wish I'd taken my old company to a tribunal just to prove a point and make them apologise if nothing else, seems it's quite rare nowadays to find "old skool" people with integrity & principles, we seem to be a dying breed ..... (and on here lol)

Wishing your friend all the very best +++

Ta! Oh, err, I mean "I'll pass on your best wishes..." :grin:

Looking forward to the first meet at caterham academy to cheer you on :)

Paid the second deposit last week. Six weeks or so to go until the bits turn up! :eek: