Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jackd

VW Golf 02 1.4 Hard to put into 1st and 2nd now burning smell

5 posts in this topic

Hi can anyone advise on the following I have a VW Golf 1.4, 02 plate. For the past month on and off its been hard to put it into 1st and 2nd gear. The gear stick feels really stiff and tight. Then other times it works fine.

Last night other half couldn't get the car into 1st or 2nd on a hill and drove very slowly up it in 3rd! Now theres a really strong smell of burning coming from the car. It doesn't feel right to drive as well and when sometimes in lower gears the rev count will jump from 2000 to 3000 as if it wasn't in gear. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks,

JD

You need a new clutch or at the bare min the cable adjusting.

Welcome to the forum +++

Hi Andy thanks for the quick response and advice. What would a new clutch cost? Given the age and general state of the car I'm not sure if its worth it.

Thanks again,

JD

Sounds like the clutch is slipping, and the reason it smells of burning is because your missus slipped the clutch like buggery to get it up a hill in 3rd gear.

Might be worth getting the gearbox oil changed as well, unless it's been done, as this may help with the difficulty of getting it into gear, does it go in easier when the car is warmed up properly? Say after 20mins or so of driving?

Hi Tipex, Thanks for the reply It actually seems to get worse the longer you drive. the first 15-20mins can be fine then it gets worse.

I feel a trip to the garage coming on!

Cheers,

JD