Golf mk3 please help.

Hi. I have a 97 golf mk3 1.4. I recently had to change my two front wheel hubs. The car was jacked up for a week. After i finished them i went to start it and it started but cut out after 2 seconds. It keeps doing it. It wont stay running. I tried towing it and dumping the clutch wile at speed and nothing. Has anyone had simular problems?? Ive read fuel pump relays, coil pack, distributers are common to go but it wudnt start at all if they were. Im really confused. Ive just changed the fuel filter and it didnt help. It was fully serviced a month ago and was perfect. This is my project car and was ment to be getting on the road this week but it dosnt look like it now :-( It has fuel and was running perfect before this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I dont have a immobiliser but some vw's have them wired to the cental locking but when the doors are unlocked it disarms it. I honestly dont know if mine has one do. I think there as standard from 98 on but mine is 97. Its like something is telling it to just stop. It fires up perfect and just cuts out. Power is still there and it will fire up straight away and do the same. The pump works when the ignition is turned on. Ive had the pipe off and there is definatly petrol there. I tried to kick start it whilst towing it and it sounded like the fuel wasnt being sparked. It was like when you rev ur engine and turn it off. A deep grunt but no power or reving.

I don't have personal experience of this issue, but it does sound like an immobiliser issue I've read about before, I'm sure one of the more technical VAG guys will be along shortly.

I remember it because I thought it odd that the immobiliser would allow the engine to start at all, let alone run for a couple of seconds before cutting, but apparently that's how it's meant to work.

@ mook i tried to join but i havent a clue what year the club started.

Years ago. It covers all Golfs from Mk1 up to Mk6, but there's a big population of Mk1, 2 and 3 owners on there. I'd try the electrical section.

Ive just realised ive lost the bloody immobiliser chip from my key fob. O noo. I cant believe it.

Might be your answer then ;)

Top marks to Tipex +++