Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cruiser647

Contract phone useage

17 posts in this topic

Still phaffing about deciding what to do about number 1 daughter's request for a contract phone. She is 14 and has a laptop too.

How much/useful is 250Mb data per month? She's on Facebook and Twitter (obviously)

How much (££££) do your kids get through each month with a Smartphone?

The deals from the Orange thread are from £15 p/m and include 3000 texts, 400 mins and 250Mb data with redemption. Unfortunately, we cannot cap the account at £17 p/m

My lass has a 300 minute/month unlimited texts + 500Mb data. Data she hits 3-400Mb/month, and about 150-200 minutes. That's 35/month though.

Had an incident at work recently, I use my own iPhone instead of one of the ones I was offered, I asked to be put onto a data package and the request got missed somewhere along the line, the bill came in for the last month and my one had over £100 of data on it! When they looked into it we were getting charged £1.50 per mb and i'd used about 65mb over the month.

Thankfully they didn't ask me for the money because they recalled i'd asked for it. So added it on and I think i've now got 500mb's and it cost something like £8 a month extra.

It's borderline criminal the amount they charge you on a per mb usage so i'd suggest getting some included. +++

Seems strange that they won't let you cap it, you'd think that would be a key offering for the kids market, capped at £xx but will allow calls to certain numbers (IE YOurs)

EldestMissMe has an iPhone 3GS on a £45 a month contract and we sometimes have to pursue her for going over the limits. Not much these days though. That's 1,200 minutes, unlimited texts (phew) and 500mb of data though the latter won't be the cause of any excess traffic.

My iPhone 3GS is on the same and it's always £45 a month. My iPhone 4 is £65 a month and sometimes, say every other month, I go over the limits - and it is always call time.

MrsMe's is the heaviest used phone. Her iPhone 4 is on £65 a month and we'll regularly get bills approaching £100 - but she is a very heavy phone user and we get that back through them being business calls anyway.

The point being - I wouldn't really worry about data too much. It takes a lot to use 250mb in a month if all she will mainly be doing is using FB and Twitter. Just make sure she is using apps for those, not straight web browsing where the data overhead is much more significant. In my experience limits are only really tested if you're on a very low limit or you go data roaming....when I once got a £450 bill through my own stupidity!

I've changed to an O2 simplicity package as I'm out of contract and want to wait for an iPhone 5.

I changed on the 19th of July and got a text today saying I've used 80% of my 500mb a month limit! Guess I need to bump it up or stop listening to streaming comedy on YouTube when driving around :)

Ah yes, well streaming movies etc does tend to kill it.

Not long now for the iPhone 5 anyway - about 6-8 weeks.

She wants the Galaxy S.

I'll tell her about the apps for the FB & Twitter instead of browsing straight there. Hopefully she knows that already. She sold her PAYG BB, as it was locking up and dropping signal stength every now and then.

I don't think she'll be talking much, she's more of an FB girl.

Thank gents. Might have to sign up tonight. :rolleyes:

If you do sign up to Facebook, just bear in mind that Mac is even stranger on there than on here.:roflmao:

Just got my daughters Blackberry Curves 8520. £7,15 for a free phone, 100 mins, 500 texts, 1GB of interweb. I also managed to get the second one for £7.32 with a bit of persuasion. They arent heavy on the talking but text, BBM and mobile internet is the thing they like

£7.15 a month? How did you get it so low?

If she gets the Galaxy S (or any other Android phone) there is a free little app called 3g watchdog.

You load in your monthly renewal day and data allowance - and it monitors it. A little icon in the task bar is always there and changes colour (traffic light) as data gets used. When you open the app it gives you full data usage day / week / month etc.

It's really useful.

We just got my pa a Galaxy S2. The first bills were rather 'interesting' - put this on, and she has been within budget ever since.

I pay £7.50 for my contract phone.

600 mins talk time (I think the max I've got to is about 300 minutes in a month)

500 Texts (I'm not a great texter)

Unlimited Interweb... Which is capped at 3GB I'm told but never reached it

Free Landline Calls.

Sh*t network though!

Who's that with?

Wifey uses pay as you go (not a massive user) and gets through about £15 a month and it's never seemed worthwhile going contract but that would possibly make sense.

I'm assuming there's no phone with that though? Not a problem as shes got her own anyway.

Edit- Just reread the previous post and see you got a Blackberry - hate that model had one as a works phone wonder if we could get the monthly contract cheaper without one :grin:

stooH,

It's actually with T-Mobile. Such a crap network round my neck of the woods but for the price I'm paying, doesn't really bother me that much and I have a Vodafone (Works) one which I use if the need arises. I have an Iphone and not a Blackberry (I don't understand the BBM craze) but going back to Cruisers thread, I believe the younger generation are more mad about this BBM thing, so something to consider. All goes on the data though so thats where the young ones are more tuned into.

Ive recently finished a 2 year contract with O2 and have gone onto a rolling 30 day contract with 3G

Full list of deals.. both 12 month and rolling 30 day.

SIM Only

This is the one ive chosen for £15 per month on a 30 day rolling.

• 300 minutes
  • 3000 texts
  • 1GB internet

With regards to internet usage the main killers are radio and video streaming. AS long as she dont do that then 250mb should be more than enough.

Edited by fizzbitt

If she gets the Galaxy S (or any other Android phone) there is a free little app called 3g watchdog.

You load in your monthly renewal day and data allowance - and it monitors it. A little icon in the task bar is always there and changes colour (traffic light) as data gets used. When you open the app it gives you full data usage day / week / month etc.

It's really useful.

We just got my pa a Galaxy S2. The first bills were rather 'interesting' - put this on, and she has been within budget ever since.

Oooohhhh! Excellent. Thank you.

Will get Number 1 daughter to download this now!

We got the device for her and she likes it (obviously). She will get a screen protector and case.

I just kept telling the nice Indian man called Dave that he was too high. Im with Virgin Media anyway but their normal price is £10.21..The £7.15 was an end of year contract renewal. the second was a brand new contract.