[Audi A3/S3] New engine required in Audi A3 2.0Tdi 170 on 2007 plate.....

Koala2106

Not sure of the codes of your engine but as above, you should be able to get something for close to a grand, these even come with a warranty

2008 Audi A4 2.0 TDI ENGINE BRD 170BHP | eBay

'09 VW AUDI SEAT SKODA 2.0 TDI 170 BHP ENGINE CODE CEG | eBay

Also by selling some of the ancillary engine parts - injectors, sensors etc, you should be able to get some of that money back.

It's probably more like this one. You can check the engine code by looking at the label in the front of your service book.

2008 VW GOLF 2.0 TDI ENGINE BMN 170BHP | eBay

Guys, thanks for all the help and advice. I havent been on for a few days as so much to deal with and yes my engine was similar to the one above.

Latest update is that the best price I could get all in was £4200 less the AA £1000 means I'd pay £3200 (engine, manifold and fitting) which isnt bad I guess. Then add towing and car hire for a week, thats an extra £250 (I checked). So now I'm at £3450. Then Audi say for the work already done they would charge me £930. thats now £4380. Also yesterday, after much back and forth, Audi say I actually need a new turbo as well but that it was included in the price of £6013 + £930 even though it was never mention before. I had an email confirmation of parts needed and price.

So the final outcome.

After pleading poverty and the fact that it was a choice of them repairing my car an me cancelling my wedding or having to take the car away to be repaired cheaper, Audi have offered to do all the repairs (including the work already done) for £5400 less AA £1000 means I pay £4400. This (I have been told) will be new engine, new manifold, new turbo and all other parts required.

Still absolutely gutted that I have to spend this much money on a 4 year old car and the fact that tomorrow it will be 4 weeks since I broke down and yet another week before repairs should be completed but I guess lifes just like that.

Again thanks for all the messages and advice.

Edited by Koala2106
Spelling

Why, though? Why should they? They sell a car with a 3 year warranty for a good reason and if you buy one from a main dealer, you get an extended warranty, which is provided by Mondial, so Audi have nothing to do with it.

It'd be very different if you bought a new car from them every couple of years, but the cost to the business will outweigh any grief they may get from one customer, who will doubtless not buy another Audi again.

Not saying I'd be happy with that approach, but it's how I would read it.

On reflection, you're right. In fact looking back through this (and I did say this in part earlier in the thread) - I don't see why this is Audi's problem.

Outside warranty - plain and simple. Third party warranty not properly checked for coverage - plain and simple. Harsh, but putting myself in Audi's shoes I can't see why they should contribute a penny to this now.

EDITED TO ADD: I've just read the OP's reply above. That seems like a very generous offer and I'm glad you've got it sorted, albeit at high cost to you. I certainly hope you'll never be taking out an AA warranty again though.+++

Edited by MrMe

why did you not look into the suggestions above of sourcing yourself a new engine privately? Surely it would ahve worked out cheaper?

I did look into it and explained the price I was given from a garage and even thought about getting all the parts myself but was as follows:

Engine £1300

Manifold £400

Fitting £600

Audi Dealer £933

Towing £150

Hire Car £200

Total £3583

So with the AA warranty payout of £1000 you coulds say its only £2583, but hang on, then you have to add the turbo (which I was advised at the last minute) and the fact that it would be reconditioned parts with 6 month warranty (if lucky) and I'd have to find a garage willing to do all the work as I dont have the tools or the knowledge.

Atleast with Audi its all brand new and genuine parts with 2 years warranty.

I know many have said Audi dont technically have a responsability I personally feel they would want to know why a 4 year old car had gone so incredibally wrong and not have any bad press with so many people not buying new cars because of the economical climate.

Anyway its all being done now so hopefully be back in may car soon.

As a passing note anyone know of a good alloy wheel referb place??

One more thing .... Good luck with your wedding and future wife.+++

I sympathise with you having to deal with this at the outset of what should be a time to celebrate and look forward, so I'm pleased the matter has been resolved and hope a little more luck comes your way now.+++

Wow, feel for you after reading the whole thread. From someone recently married I know how stressful and expensive it is never mind this happening. I think it is a difficult call as being outside of warranty even for a year, why should a manufacturer want to offer anything. Apart from a gesture of goodwill? - maybe if they think they will have the car from now on in terms of servicing and other future work.

It’s a shame that any car at 4 years old that has followed the manufacturer’s guidelines for servicing should need a new engine at 80K miles. I know of a Merc taxi with over 220K miles and still going, fair enough it has needed work along the way but not a quoted £4-6K + of new engine. The quality control of mass produced engines has infinitely improved and will keep on improving but I think it happens to everyone in some form or another at some time that you end up with a lemon. My current S3 (any coincidence it’s an Audi for the conspirators among you?!) has had its woes over the 4 years and 46K of ownership, today culminating with the emissions light coming on!

At least you have something from Audi + the offer from the AA which is something.

Best of luck for the wedding, sod the metal… sh!t happens, just enjoy the forthcoming day

Again, thanks guys for all the messages.

It has not come at an easy time and I think thats why I am so angry about it. Still waiting for the car to get back to me but hopefully then it will all be ok for a while.

Now back to suit shopping, chasing invite replies and centerpices, o the joy :)

I'm glad you seem to have it all sorted and hope it's not been so bitter a situation that it effects your wedding plans.

Did you take any legal advice regarding the failure? I think I would have wanted to explore all avenues and many people seem to forget that warranties are always in addition to your statutory rights. There may have been a way to pursue the place from where you bought the car (not Audi) using the Sale of Goods Act.

Like SiT says, '...4 years old that has followed the manufacturer’s guidelines for servicing shouldn't need a new engine at 80K miles...' To me, that doesn't qualify as a reasonable amount of time for an Audi (a prestige brand) to last.

• 5 weeks later...
Again, thanks guys for all the messages.

It has not come at an easy time and I think thats why I am so angry about it. Still waiting for the car to get back to me but hopefully then it will all be ok for a while.

Now back to suit shopping, chasing invite replies and centerpices, o the joy :)

Did you get it all sorted in the end?

I disagree with the comments about this not being Audis problem. A complete engine fail on a 4 year old car is unacceptable from a brand such as Audi, or any brand for that matter. My sister had a compete engine fail in a BMW that was 7 years old, and they replaced the engine (7k bill) at no cost at all, it also had 80+k on the clock. I love Audi's, but hate Audi.

Sorry, but I just don't believe BMW would have footed the bill for a 7 year old engine, if it was done at no cost to the owner, it was probably under some sort of warranty.

Once a warranty has run out, why would a manufacturer be responsible for the engine failure? especially as the car wasn't even purchased from an Audi garage, the responsibility lies with garage he purchased it from, while I agree that it is unusual, and pretty poor for an engine to fail at a relatively low mileage, it's one of those things that happens, in this case, one component failed and unfortunately took out the engine with it, and thats why people pay a premium for cars that come with a main dealer warranty.

Sorry, but I just don't believe BMW would have footed the bill for a 7 year old engine, if it was done at no cost to the owner, it was probably under some sort of warranty.

Ditto...there is no way BMW or any other manufacturer would replace a 7yr old engine at no cost to the owner.....At 7+yrs old a significant % of cars begin to fall into the hands of owners who don`t even bother with routine oil changes....Only yesterday my next door neighbour was asking if she should get her car serviced....she`d only done 8k miles in just over 3yrs....and the last service was done 6 months before she bought the then 5yr old car....So it`s now over 8yrs old with less than 50k on the clock...I`am no chemist but even I know engine oil degrades over time....I believe it turns more acidic as well...which leads to corrosion/pitting inside the engine...and thats bound to result in a failure at some point.....I somehow doubt Nissan will contribute a single penny towards the repair bill should something go pop....and nor should they.

Ditto...there is no way BMW or any other manufacturer would replace a 7yr old engine at no cost to the owner.....At 7+yrs old a significant % of cars begin to fall into the hands of owners who don`t even bother with routine oil changes....Only yesterday my next door neighbour was asking if she should get her car serviced....she`d only done 8k miles in just over 3yrs....and the last service was done 6 months before she bought the then 5yr old car....So it`s now over 8yrs old with less than 50k on the clock...I`am no chemist but even I know engine oil degrades over time....I believe it turns more acidic as well...which leads to corrosion/pitting inside the engine...and thats bound to result in a failure at some point.....I somehow doubt Nissan will contribute a single penny towards the repair bill should something go pop....and nor should they.

So you're saying I'm lying? Cheers! It's true. It was my sisters 2002 330d that failed due to a known issue, BMW replaced the engine at no cost, I'm pretty sure it was in 2009. Known issue or not, a catastrophic engine fail is unacceptable and the manufacturer should (based on certain criteria) do something about it. If the car has full dealer history and has clearly been looked after, the dealers should take some liability. What would you say if the engine failed say a week after the dealer warranty expired- too bad, it's a few days out of warranty, I'll just pay £8k for a new engine? I don't think so and I don't see why even a year out of warranty the dealer should leave you 100% out in the cold. They should assess the situation and if everything points towards a manufacturers defect, they should be liable (within reason of course). If it is a serviceable item that has been neglected, that's a different matter.

Things being replaced due to 'Known issues' is a different matter. That's due to bad design/manufacturer and is the fault of the manufacturer.

That batch of 330D engines could have had various issues which they've tracked down.

Same with Cuprabob's R32 - porous block.

Many early BMW V8s had certain issues and must have been replaced/fixed under warranty.

If there are no known issues wiith an engine and it's out of warranty then why should it be replaced FOC?

Things being replaced due to 'Known issues' is a different matter. That's due to bad design/manufacturer and is the fault of the manufacturer.

That batch of 330D engines could have had various issues which they've tracked down.

Many early BMW V8s had certain issues and must have been replaced/fixed under warranty.

If there are no known issues wiith an engine and it's out of warranty then why should it be replaced FOC?

Totally agree +++

It was the swirl flap.

I don't really see what is the difference between a known issue and a non-known issue? It's still an issue with a part that should never fail - this is not a serviceable item, it is a part that should last for the lifetime of the engine (which I would hope is more than 4 years). If the diagnosis about the valves breaking on this issue was correct, to me, that is a faulty part in the most critical area of the engine (i.e. a fail here means high potential for a total engine fail), and therefore, the maufacturer should take some liabilty as it should have zero tolerance for 'issues' in this part of the engine. Valves should not break!

BMW won't admit the swirl flap things are an issue though, I've just taken them out of my car. I've not known BMW to replace an engine after swirl flap failure for anyone else though, at most maybe some goodwill gesture such as 20% off labour to fit a new engine. Would you mind naming the dealer that replaced it? Could be handy. +++

BMW won't admit the swirl flap things are an issue though, I've just taken them out of my car. I've not known BMW to replace an engine after swirl flap failure for anyone else though, at most maybe some goodwill gesture such as 20% off labour to fit a new engine. Would you mind naming the dealer that replaced it? Could be handy. +++

Sure, Woods in Bournremouth. They replaced the engine in 2009 (might have been 2008) on HJ02 XMP 330d. The bill IIRC was for just under £7k. I spoke to my sister last night to make sure I didn't dream this, she confirmed but did have to pay a small labour charge of about £300 (so fairly negligible in terms of the cost to BMW). I remember because she traded the car in for a Z4 literally a few months later, and I was cross because she got a rubbish price for it (I would have paid her what she got myself, to have a car with a brand new engine! It was a really nice car). I checked some other BMW forums and some people I read about got a replacement, some didn't.