RS3 with Sunroof available in Germany

SpiderMacK

Now if the roof was carbon instead of glass we might be getting somewhere.... :P

I`v seen a few sportbacks with the panoramic roof...ok there are few draw backs...extra weight...the car becomes a mobile sauna...but the black roof really improves the aesthetics of the car.....I mention this because there`s a guy on the XF forum who had the roof of his XF wrapped...and it`s totally transformed the car....I have a sneaky feeling the rather mundane and conservative A3 Sportback would look a bit more aggressive with a carbon roof.

post-20949-137914472244_thumb.jpg

I think a Sprint Blue RS3 would look a lot better as well....weird it`s not an option...not the greatest fan of Orange but it does lift the A3....With right paint job and a few visual enhancements the car would look that little bit more special than the standard Sportback

post-20949-137914472239_thumb.jpg

post-20949-137914472241_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr Man

I don't get it.

If the car has a carbon roof from the factory, then fair enough, but why would you wrap the roof of a car everyone knows doesn't have a carbon roof to make it look like it has one?

It's the sort of thing barry does to his Corsa, and quite frankly, a silver car looks better with a silver roof.

My local Jaguar dealer has quite a few XF's that look fantastic, I think whoever ordered them for stock has a great eye for what makes them look good.

It did look good I'll be honest, he had a carbon splitter, mirrors and side grills etc so it matched in.

It was a very modified car and went like stink, I think the roof suites it but when he sold it the new purchaser asked for it to be removed.

Horses for courses I suppose, looked great round the ring though.

I don't get it.

If the car has a carbon roof from the factory, then fair enough, but why would you wrap the roof of a car everyone knows doesn't have a carbon roof to make it look like it has one?

It's the sort of thing barry does to his Corsa, and quite frankly, a silver car looks better with a silver roof.

My local Jaguar dealer has quite a few XF's that look fantastic, I think whoever ordered them for stock has a great eye for what makes them look good.

The wrapped XF roof was a bit of an experiment....the owner first posted a few pics of his car with the chrome wrapped and the wheels painted black....plus a few other minor mods....He mentioned he had a mate in the wrapping business...and was basically egged on by a few members to wrap the roof.

While he was away on a business trip in the US his mate wrapped the roof.....I don`t think he has any long term plans to keep the wrap on.....I only posted the pics to show how a black roof can add something to the car....I agree the XF looks sleek and sporty as standard...but the Audi Sportback does not....and for some reason the Sportbacks I`v seen with black panoramic sunroofs look longer and sleeker.

So the option of a black contrasting roof may have enhanced the appearance of the rather mundane Sportback...and having read the threads where the RS3 is being slated for it`s dull and un-inspiring aesthetics I just thought I`d post the pics to show how a black roof can totally transform the look of a car.

Edited by Mr Man

Look, you're all gay Audi haters so why don't you all piss off back to your BMW and Subaru and Taxi forums you f uckwits*

* I wonder how many people reading this thread are really saying that in their heads ;)

BMW fit a carbon roof to the E92 M3 to reduce weight and the centre of gravity....... AUDI fit a glass roof to do the opposite....... makes perfect sense to me !

Weight and balance wasn't the only reason. Nor was marketing (though yes it probably works well).

Another reason was rigidity. The strength of carbon fibre gave the cars much improved rigidity and goes a long way to explaining how an M3 can feel very different to a non-M car. They're so much more rigid and a lot of that is down to the carbon roof and the sheer strength of it.

The carbon fibre roofs on the M3CSL, E92 M3 and other BMW cars are carbon fibre reinforced plastic which is strong and lightweight. The effect of this is to reduce weight and to lower the centre of gravity of the car which makes the car feel different.

In all the BMW models, the carbon fibre roof is hot bonded (glued) onto a steel subframe which provides the necessary reinforcement and rigidity in all directions as carbon fibre is generally not strong in all directions.

the carbon fibre roof is hot bonded (glued) onto a steel subframe which provides the necessary reinforcement and rigidity in all directions as carbon fibre is generally not strong in all directions.

The same steel subframe all hard top cars have.

The same steel subframe all hard top cars have.

Precisely ...... and that was one of the points I was trying to make. The carbon fibre roof is used to decrease weight and lower the centre of gravity plus it lends an air of tech to the car (useful marketing for M3 etc) It is not there to increase rigidity as this is provided in part by the same type of steel subframe that is used on conventional roofed cars.+++

But it does add rigidity, as a by product perhaps, but it still works if the roof is bonded properly.

Having said that, the glass roofed cars must be more rigid than steel roofed cars too, as the glass is pretty thick and I wouldn't have thought it flexes at all, it's just a really, really heavy way of doing it!