Kalimex Head Gasket Goo - a Miracle Repair that seems to work...

mb

Polo (1991 one owner) was suffering from poor running, hard to start, hesitation etc. so I had a quick look at it. Initial signs didn't look good - excess of pressure in the expansion tank, coolant a horrible colour & lots of mayo - not only under the filler cap but also breathing into the "carb" (it is fuel injected but has a carb body with air-filter on top that has been converted by VW to FI.

Anyway I advised was more than likely the head gasket had failed to a fairly small degree and should get it looked at ASAP.

Whilst not a great fan of miracle cures as usually they only last at best until the mechanical component receives some strain, I figured it couldn't do any harm so in order to try to help I added some kalimex k-seal (http://www.kalimex.co.uk/section.htm...01.04.&pgid=17) to the coolant tank. Anyway she took it to a local mechanic who replaced the plugs & ran a compression test (all even at about 100 vs 120 new) but 250 miles later no coolant loss or anything so in the words of MythBusters I have to given Kalimex a "plausible" will report back if no change later in the year, but so far has saved the Polo from the scrapheap.

• 1 month later...

Have to second the old K-Seal.

FiL got a bottle to use on our old scabby landy that was a non-runner when we got it. The K-Seal was sat in my boot for a while and the next door neighbour bought a little yellow seicento thingy as a runabout for his missus. Got home one evening to find him scratching his head with the bonnet up and engine running - a little puddle under the car. Dropped the K-Seal in it for him and its been as good as gold since - its a bit pricey but it works!