Summary of days of test drives and final choice...

NewNiceMrMe

A quick summary of each of the cars I drove over the last fews day...

BMW 530d SE GT

A quite sublime car to ride in and a good drive too. But much more disconnected than it's Saloon sister and whilst I like the looks from the rear I'm not that keen on the front and the ride height. Equipment levels are stunning and the dash is a thing of beauty. Rear space is incredible, economy and performance excellent and they're at a price that makes them very attractive (if not aesthetically) indeed.

The rear hatch is very clever. Open the hatch or open the boot, but if you only open the boot...the rear is sealed completely because it isn't just the seats between it and the cabin. The way the seats slide forward might be useful, but I don't think they moved enough to be really beneficial - but the recline function might please passengers on a long trip. In summary - don't judge a book by it's cover, it's a very impressive package.

BMW 530d M Sport Saloon

Much more feedback than the GT and a much more compact car too. Ride and handling were superb, and the car was noticeably quicker than the GT. It doesn't have the 7 series dash that the GT has so you lose some of the fabulous features of that, but it was still a brilliantly designed dash with the display below the main instrument dials being crystal clear and full of useful information. Space-wise it's very good and from a looks perspective I think it's a great looking car, especially from the front. Maybe they could have tidied the rear up a little more, but that's being hyper critical.

The cabin quality is superb. It felt very special, as did the GT. I don't think the feedback is the same as the outgoing model but please don't think that means it is a numb car - far from it. I think they've just moved the market slightly and I would be fine with that. A supremely capable, excellent looking and refined car.

BMW Z4 sDrive 35i

Stunning looking car. The bonnet lines, the fabulously sculpted rear and the interior is quite superbly finished and styled. Not much to say on space - because there isn't any. The boot isn't much use regardless of what you might read. It's not small in boot space - it's just impossible to make proper use of it because the entrance to the boot is so bloody small. You'd fit a large laptop bag in there and a slim suitcase, but for anyone travelling a lot or needing a practical car - forget it. Performance was exceptional. Personally I think an M3 would pull away without much effort above 100 mph, but I guess you'd expect it to. Ride - biggest surpise - comfortable, didn't jar and in the one I drove the manual gearbox felt slick, quick and married well to the engine.

The engine is a peach - and it sounds fabulous although not as nice as a big V8. Impressive but impractical if you need to carry much (or people). Could I drive it every day though? I'm not small.

Porsche 993 Turbo

Oh wow. Oh my. Oh yes. Could I live with one? I'd force myself to.

I have to stop there though, because I also realised I might succumb to modern interior wants all too often, and whilst the car is motoring heaven, you'd have to a religious fanatic to drive it every day in my opinion.

I'm not. Not for now. Maybe in the future as a toy.

BMW 730d M Sport Saloon

What a car. Spacious, stacked to the eyeballs with equipment, quiet, luxurious and simply breath taking to drive with consumate ease. But you could be a robot. You just get in and go. There's nothing to driving it. It's just a hyper-cosseting car that doesn't feel like a BMW in my opinion.

I think it looks excellent and mechanically I'm sure it is supreme, but I'm not old enough for a car like this yet - or that's what the test drive taught me. I need to be at least 55, possibly 60. Or am I.:roflmao:

BMW M3 Coupe (DSG)

I'd forgotten just how clinically supreme this car was. Put it on a curved knife and it'll corner it without a problem. Lots of power (though oddly enough it doesn't "feel" as fast as it is), much much better brakes than the E46 range ever had and I don't have the feedback issues that some ex-E46 drivers had. I think the E90/2 feeds back well.

Spacious enough, though not vast by any standard. Nowhere near as well finished inside as the 5's, 7 or Z though. Maybe it's the more hardcore performance edge showing through. The seats are of course outstanding and everything about the car screams that it is a performance god. In it's class I'm sure it is King, but for me I still came out of the M3 feeling a little uninspired. I can't help but thinking something isn't quite right in the package it gives, but I haven't a clue what it is.

I could own this car, drive this car and love this car. I'm sure of it. But in the back of my mind I've got some nagging doubt and I haven't a clue what it is. Fantastic value for money now though and it's a case of pick your spec with the number of used cars.

Lexus IS-F

This car looks suprisingly muscular. Much more than I was expecting. Nice colour too in a kind of dark graphite with lovely (if a little fussy) wheels. The exhausts are certainly distinctive. The cabin feels very good too. A bit more cramped than I was expecting though.

However, I may as well cut to the chase. If a car breaks down within 2 minutes of you getting in it, you're not going to buy in.:roflmao:

Audi RS4 Avant

Despite what some might have though, I like the RS4 in Avant form. It looks good, the equipment levels of the one I drove were very good indeed and the seats are superb. The leather finish is so much nicer than in the BMW's too. I like the growl of the V8 and it would feed my addiction. The Nav system is also so much better than the BMW one pre-2010 too in my view - and of course I know of all these MMI tricks that can be worked on the car from my years of reading on here.

So it's such a shame that it has all the driving personality of a bag of vomit. Grip, yes it has oodles of that and very impressive it is too. Jesus though, it's like being a passenger on a fast thing - and no way was it as fast as the M3 Coupe in my opinion. Maybe it is on paper, I don't know, but it certainly didn't feel it. It just gives you nothing. Where are the wheels pointing? Left, right, dead centre? Your guess is as good as mine. It feels fecking heavy too. Really heavy. I was trying to think what it was that defined its performance - and I finally came to the conclusion it just doesn't feel spritely. It's not lithe. It's not alive. It's a bit like an adrenalin fed corpse.

But...it sounds yummy and it looks very nice too. It has an air of class about it that makes it look special. They're also dirt cheap. Buy one, get one free. So maybe I could live it. Lots of space, though perhaps not as much as the exterior might indicate. Clearly it's an impressive car - but it's a car for a certain type of driver in my opinion, and it's whether or not I'm that type of driver.

Audi S8

Woohoo! What a fabulous sounding car! I'll stop there.

Okay, I won't. Spacious, such road presence, a lovely, lovely interior and all the toys you could want on an executive barge with a bomb under the bonnet. Oh and the noise. What a noise when you hit that right pedal. Seriously impressive and looks a million dollars in my view.

I actually think this car fed back a bit more than the RS4 too. Unfortunately though it was just a bit. I really don't get this at all. These cars are so lacking in driver involvement they're flawed beyond belief. I wanted this car. I do want this car. I need to have it. But god could I live with the motoring equivalent of Ed Milliband when it comes to communication? I'm not sure. I think it's more acceptable in a car as big as the S8, but it was still a surprise how disconnected I felt with the car. It's like being strapped to the top of the Space Shuttle main booster rocket on take off - but just hang on for grim life.

I'm being harsh, I must be. I think I drove the cars in the wrong order. I knew I'd get more feedback from the BMW's, but I didn't realise a 530d SE GT would have more feedback than an S8.

BMW X6 35i

Ah yes, my old favourite.:roflmao:

I like the X6 as people know, so it's a bit pointless going into detail again. I think it handles remarkably well and that the 35i feels lively and the paddles on the steering wheel give a little more involvement than the fully automatic box.

They're different. They're pointless to many, but I think they have something about them.

Good deals on them too in used form. Very good indeed. An X5 and an X6 on the drive though? It'd be a bit silly perhaps. Then again, I do like the X6...

Summary

I've bought one of the above. I'd be interested to see what a few people think I've chosen before I say which it is. I've got my flame suit on.:roflmao:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're right - it's very tough and I've whilst I've enjoyed parts of the process I've not enjoyed it all. Finding something that just says 'yes' is difficult.

Tell you what though - if anyone every gets the chance to pack test drives in over a couple of days across a few brands, I'd be amazed if people didn't pick up on very different driver marketing between BMW and Audi. I used to think they were targeting the same audience and maybe they still are on the non-performance models - but I'm not convinced they both aim for different types of buyers on the M and RS models.

Everyone should own a S8 for a while though. Just to put the window down a bit and drive through tunnels.:roflmao:

I know how you feel on choosing the cars. I loved the 330i and kept it for 4/5 years but needed something with a little more practicality.

For the first time when choosing a car I went for the head over the heart and regret it a bit, it's nice car but it doesn't ignite the soul.:(

I'm not looking forward to handing the keys of the 6 over, I'll admit that - but I'm getting that feeling that things might start to cost big money (I've no justification for thinking that and it's probably a ludicrous thought) and I also think the car is ever so slightly starting to date. So it's time.

Great post, I'm not as suprised the 5 GT gave more feedback then the Audi. My 320D coupe M Sport gives way more then my S8 and my brother in laws S4! It's a shame though as from reviews, I really thought Audi had got the B7 RS 4 right.

Also, listen to this

I'm glad I did that. Maybe I'm not as predictable as I thought.:roflmao:

Not the 5 series, in any guise. Too boring no matter what gloss I tried to put on them.

Not the Audi's. I just know I'd be disappointed with elements of the drive and the dealers never cease to amaze me with their lack of courtesy and professionalism. I experienced it yet again.

Not the X6. That ship has sailed and I'm pleased I missed it. I do like them, but no, not the car for me now.

The M3 is fabulous. But I've had 2 and I'm wary of the new model on the horizon.

Besides...

I think the Z4 sDrive 35i has 90% of the performance, is far better looking and I've never owned one. Until now.

It managed to engage me straight away and I was surprised at the standard of the cabin, the comfort of the ride and the silkiness and pull of that twin turbo 3 litre engine. We don't need another practical car, so feck it. I'll enjoy driving it so it won the day.

The fact I managed to get a car just under 2 years old, with a mere 5,000 miles on the clock is a bonus. One summer-only female owner who had a Range Rover Vogue for the rest of the year. Add to that the fact I've given my car and £11k, and it was a no brainer.

Spec as follows:

BMW Z4 sDrive 35i

5,000 miles

Manual transmission

Black Sapphire Metallic

Coral Red Kansas Leather

Adaptive M suspension

Bluetooth phone prep and telematics

BMW Online thingy

Navigation system - Professional

DAB

Electric Folding mirrors

Anthracite headlining

19" V spoke light alloys

PDC front and rear

Seat heating

Extended lighting

Then it has all the standard guff like Headlight wash, blah blah.

Cracking car, and a little trip down South will lift the 306bhp to 360bhp.

I just hope it serves me as well as the 6.+++

Edited by MrMe

Chris, I know you've done some web work for us before but didn't realise you were starting up mobile hair and nails beauty work too!

I'm really shocked at your choice! Don't get me wrong I think the car is fantastic but I wouldn't have put you in that car, from that list in a million years. You know summer will be official over the first time you put the roof down.

Look forward to the pics.