Another to add to the growing list of tyresmoke A7's...

Newbie123

Tell you what...

When you look at the specs the A7 looks like one of the best value for money, if not the, in the whole of the Audi range. If people are genuinely getting 13% discount without haggling then cars around the £55k mark with high specification are going to be selling at £48k or less. Now, if you look at the BMW range, you can't compare it to the 6 series because it's entry level engines are much more powerful - but it does highlight how ridiculous expensive the 6 series is with starting prices.

Then, if you look at high spec 5 series (which I imagine isn't what they're really targeting) then you see that the A7 occupies a neat little niche of it's own - but at a very good price indeed. I can't think of any other car out there with the road presence of the A7 at sub £50k for high spec big cars?

Completely agree with you there on all points MrMe, which is why I bit the bullet and signed on the dotted line. Not many know about the discounts on offer, well a few more on here do now, and as you say for the money I couldn't find anything to beat it. I originally spec'd up a new S5 cabriolet and that came out to £56k, and with a refresh coming along for 2012 and the fact that I just wanted something a bit different from the mainstream I ended up going for the A7, no regrets so far :)

Thanks for the info hashluck, it makes perfect sense now, didn't know there was a a non-SE version, seems a little pointless. Glad to see I haven't lost any equipment, but they need to sort that new brouchure out!

Still not sure why they have ambient lighting as an option when you get the lighting pack, as far as I can see all you get for the extra is lit door sills!

Going from an A5 into the A7..... you won't look back Booster... I didn't.

Thanks for the info hashluck, it makes perfect sense now, didn't know there was a a non-SE version, seems a little pointless. Glad to see I haven't lost any equipment, but they need to sort that new brouchure out!

Still not sure why they have ambient lighting as an option when you get the lighting pack, as far as I can see all you get for the extra is lit door sills!

Going from an A5 into the A7..... you won't look back Booster... I didn't.

You are right Newbie, for £300 the Ambient light pack gives you illuminated door sills (an £800 option on the R8 I believe) and you get an extra LED strip around the centre console as well. The standard lighting pack on the SE/SLine is excellent and is mostly LED strip based anyway. I spent ages getting to grips with the A7 options list, it didn't help when Audi Dealers were advertising options against cars which were actually standard features. For me at least the essential options were the BOSE, Tech Pack, 5 spoke wheels and privacy glass, everything else was a nice to have but not essential. I have never seen an options list which has so much tech crammed into it, night vision, park assist, lane assist. LED headlights would be a nice option to have but again at £1700 a bit pricey. I didn't want to be accused of paying for extra c*ck lights :)

Tell you what...

When you look at the specs the A7 looks like one of the best value for money, if not the, in the whole of the Audi range. If people are genuinely getting 13% discount without haggling then cars around the £55k mark with high specification are going to be selling at £48k or less. Now, if you look at the BMW range, you can't compare it to the 6 series because it's entry level engines are much more powerful - but it does highlight how ridiculous expensive the 6 series is with starting prices.

Then, if you look at high spec 5 series (which I imagine isn't what they're really targeting) then you see that the A7 occupies a neat little niche of it's own - but at a very good price indeed. I can't think of any other car out there with the road presence of the A7 at sub £50k for high spec big cars?

It`s difficult to describe any 50k+ car as a bargain...but the A7 is one of those rare beasts....Fantastic spec and a presence to die for...If only Audi specced every other model in their range in a similar fashion....If I had`t bought the XF last year then I could also see myself joining the A7 club....That said my heart sinks at the thought of cleaning the XF...God only knows how I`d feel about having to clean an A7.

ps..Phantom....How are you finding the ride on the s-line suspension....I tested an A5 last year and I thought it was a lot more compliant than other s-line models I`d driven....So hopefully Audi have been listening to customers complaints about excessively hard suspension set ups

Edited by Mr Man

ps..Phantom....How are you finding the ride on the s-line suspension....I tested an A5 last year and I thought it was a lot more compliant than other s-line models I`d driven....So hopefully Audi have been listening to customers complaints about excessively hard suspension set ups

Have to say I think it is much better than my old A4 cab which had SLine suspension and was running on the 18inch 5 spoke alloys. Even though my A7 has the 20" wheels it just feels so much better than my previous car, I am very surprised. I set my car up in 'comfort' more most of the time via the Drive Select system but will occasionally throw it into Dynamic mode at traffic lights/roundabouts etc. In the U.S many are complaining about excessive road noise which I can't honestly pick up. I expect many of the roadtests out there have been conducted on concrete roads rather than tarmac etc and this may be part of the reason. I am sure Audi has listented to some of the complaints around the handling issues of other Audi cars on UK roads and have thrown that feedback into the melting pot to derive a much better ride for the A7. I have never driven an A5 so I am not in a position to provide a comparison there, but I am sure Booster will do so once he has his test drive.

I am sure the ride will be softer still on the SE spec cars, but for me I am very pleased and surprised by the ride in the SLine. I guess it depends on your type of driving/mix of roads you use on a daily basis so I can only suggest you have a test drive to be 100% sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Well my A5 is staying!

I've had an A7 since 8am and whilst I like it, I don't love it.

Things I like:

The dashboard is fantastic.

The media interface dials are very well designed.

The cooling seats are great!

Very comfortable inside.

Dynamic ride is superb.

Things I don't like:

Rear visibility is poor due to the mirrors being an odd shape

Loads of road noise from the tyres

The boot is incredibly shallow

DAB constantly cuts out (not necessarily the car's fault I know)

Hands free call quality is very poor compared to my A5

It would be no use as a main family car for two adults and two children therefore we will look to change my wife's car and keep mine.

Rear visibility is poor due to the mirrors being an odd shape

Loads of road noise from the tyres

The boot is incredibly shallow

DAB constantly cuts out (not necessarily the car's fault I know)

Hands free call quality is very poor compared to my A5

Sorry to hear this, I guess for me going from an A4 cab to an A7 is slightly different than going from an A5. Yes I agree the boot is shallow, but I can certainly get more in this car than my previous one, plus of course the option to put the rear seats down as well. The 2012 A7 will come with a rear bench with seating for three rather than the sculpted seats that are in there at the moment. As for rear visibility, my biggest gripe is the blind spot when looking over your right shoulder, mainly due to the size of the headrest on the front seat.

As for tyre noise, for me at least, the tyre noise is no more than my previous car. There have been countless reports over in the U.S about the tyre noise, but most test drives over there conducted by journalists etc have been done on mainly concrete roads, best to try it on a mixture of road surfaces. Some have said that the tyre tread pattern may also be contributing. I have the audio on most of the time so if there was a slight road noise I wouldn't hear it to be honest. As for the hands free I have tried my blackberry via a bluetooth connection, and I have also tried a call via the incar SIM in the dash and as the incar SIM uses the car's external aerial I think you will get a better call quality via this route. Not so sure on the DAB as I have hardly used it to be honest as I mainly use music from the SD cards/iPod.