Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Booster

Spate of car break-ins

52 posts in this topic

What is the actual wording in your household policy newbie123?

If you can get any backup of similar cases (including the OP on this thread) to prove that the items were secured, but the thieves managed to gain entry somehow.

And if Direct Line are still not playing ball - send a letter to the insurance ombudsman and the FSA.....c.c. to Direct Line.

Assuming the policy wording suggests you should be covered of course.

I can certainly ask if they can do something but unless newbie123 lives near me I don't think they will take much notice.

Is it just me that makes sure the lights flash and I can see/ hear the doors lock then?

Nope, I do it too. I also used VCDS to enable the little beep on locking. If I don't hear the beep, I know to check and re-lock.

I'm truely shocked to hear about your current situation, newbie. It just goes to show how these people are always several steps behind what's actually going on. Their old-fashioned beliefs that thieves still have to use force, i.e. cause damage, to gain entry need a total re-think.

What does your policy document say regarding 'force'? Is there a definition? I have a vague memory of reading something from the regulators saying entry can be classed as 'forced' even if there is no physical damage caused. I'd be arguing that forcible entry can be made by electronic means. Hopefully the Police can help with this by proving there have been other similar cases and that Jag can recover something from the car's logs. If everything was reset, then maybe this means there will be signs, 'electronic fingerprints'.

Good luck.

Edited by Sponge

Newbie123, buy yourself one of these, take it to the insurance co. car park, test it with the MD's car and then see if they change their minds ;)

Reading this story:

BBC News - Electronic car key fobs fail on Southampton street

has reminded me that I should have updated this thread.

There has been more cars broken into in the same area and the Police are telling everyone to make sure their cars are locked. They came round to my mates house again and he has tried to tell them that it is not people leaving their cars unlocked that is the problem.....

I was absolutely convinced I was leaving my car unlocked repeatedly. This is not unusual for me - I've been known to go on holiday and leave the front door open :eek:

Wasn't every time, just enough times to make me think I was being incredibly forgetful.

Turns out I've got some kind of comfort entry system which basically means if I have the keys in my pocket and grab the door handles it unlocks. I thought I was going bonkers :grin:

I was absolutely convinced I was leaving my car unlocked repeatedly. This is not unusual for me - I've been known to go on holiday and leave the front door open :eek:

Wasn't every time, just enough times to make me think I was being incredibly forgetful.

Turns out I've got some kind of comfort entry system which basically means if I have the keys in my pocket and grab the door handles it unlocks. I thought I was going bonkers :grin:

Hang on, what year is your car?

The chances are that you have Combox functionality so you'd never have to worry about this - as you have an iPhone too.

You download the BMW App, set up the App in the car...and then you can lock/unlock your car from anywhere in the world, with your iPhone. You can flash the lights, scare the **** out of people, all kinds of stuff with it.

It has a another major plus if you were, for example, stupid enough to be someone in London who might, say, forget where they'd parked their car. Because you just boot the App up and ask it to navigate you to where your car is....which it then does with ease.

Ha, that sounds cool, where do I sign up :)

Don't think it's Combox, it's just comfort access.

Edited by Mac

Download the App from the AppStore.

Sit in your car, go to Apps, off you go.+++

I use it to scare our cat when MrsMe isn't looking.:roflmao:

Little fecker runs a mile.

I use it to scare our cat when MrsMe isn't looking.:roflmao:

Can you use it to start the car up and chase it round the drive?

If you could, I'd be playing X5 Death Scalextric all night.:roflmao:

Hang on, what year is your car?

The chances are that you have Combox functionality so you'd never have to worry about this - as you have an iPhone too.

You download the BMW App, set up the App in the car...and then you can lock/unlock your car from anywhere in the world, with your iPhone. You can flash the lights, scare the **** out of people, all kinds of stuff with it.

It has a another major plus if you were, for example, stupid enough to be someone in London who might, say, forget where they'd parked their car. Because you just boot the App up and ask it to navigate you to where your car is....which it then does with ease.

Bet your 'Baru doen't have one of those though Garcon - next years model perhaps?

:grin::P

True.

But Subaru drivers usually have enough intellect to remember where they parked their car. :P

But Subaru drivers usually have enough intellect to remember where they parked their car. :P

Either on their farm or the nearest McDonald's car park? :P

Article all about thieves using signal jammers in the In Gear section of today's Sunday Times. Can't link to it thanks to their stupid subscription system.

Basically, this type of crime is now everywhere and those with keyless start need to be very careful if the car is on your drive and the keys are stored anywhere near the front of your house. They can now steal the signal from your keys, replicate the signal inside your car and nick it in seconds!

I really don't like keyless start / keyless entry.

It's impossible to work out if the car is locked or not!

I really don't like keyless start / keyless entry.

It's impossible to work out if the car is locked or not!

BMW's system keeps the little posts on the windowsill that retract into the door when locked, so it's quite clear whether it's locked or not.

Booster - can you elaborate? Are they reading the key from outside? How far can they go?

The article was saying some keys worked 30ft away from the car. Meaning that leaving them inside the house might still allow the car to be unlocked and started without the owner knowing about it.

When asked some

Manufacturers didn't really know how far away it worked but most said no more than 5ft.

Oh - so the worry is that leaving the key by the front door means that it is in range and the car can be opened and started without having to get hold of the key?

That's ok then, my 535 can't be opened or started on the drive unless the key is actually there with you, I've tried. It even wants the person with the key to be standing next to the door that someone is trying to open - I've had times when I'm standing in range and one of the kids tries to open their door on the other side of the car, and it won't unlock. Then I touch my door handle (without moving) and it unlocks.

BMW's system even seems to be able to tell whereabouts the key is. If you try to lock the car with the key just inside, as opposed to a few inches away on the other side of the door, it refuses. Equally, close the boot lid with the key in the pocket of someone sitting in the back, and all is fine. Do it again with the key within the boot space, and the bootlid springs back - which confused me a few times until I worked it out.

I took a car with keyless start and 'comfort access' for 30min test drive the other week. The dealer started the car and inadvertently kept the 'key' in his pocket whilst I raced around the Swedish countryside :) Glad I didn't stop the engine otherwise I would have been fecked!

Why don't these systems require the key to be within the vehicle while it's moving? Surely if you go out of range, the car should cut out, just like if you took the key out of a normal lock.

Why don't these systems require the key to be within the vehicle while it's moving? Surely if you go out of range, the car should cut out, just like if you took the key out of a normal lock.

You'd wonder - even our Clio Sport does that - most annoying if the key is my GF's handbag and she gets out to pop into a shop or something. D'oh....