Rugby World Cup

billy2shots

With the Rugby World Cup almost upon us, the major players for thr trophy are begining to crank up the heat.

The Tri Nations (Aus, S.Africa and NZ) started a few week ago and will finish not long before the World Cup starts.

So far New Zealand have looked very good, beating South Africa and today they beat Australia. They never fail to impress me and I still don't understand how New Zealand can produce men of that size and still have pace that any English winger can only dream about.

With the World Cup being held in their country it will take a huge performance for another team to beat them.

Australia lost to Fiji in the warm up to the Tri Nations which hurt their pride and caused shock waves in Aus. They went some way to forget that beating South Africa in the opening game of the TN, but still look miles away from a flying NZ team.

South Africa (Defending champs) have clocked up two defeats so far but it must be said they have fielded a very young team in both games and also given fringe players and those in poor form a chance. S Africa have promised to play stronger teams in their home games.

The Home Nations kick off today with Engalnd vs Wales and Scotland vs Ireland.

England have made some progress in the last couple of years after the very slow start from "Jono" and his boys. They have also reached the last 2 finals, the second was against all odds. They know what it takes, but I for one think reaching the Semi Final will be as good as it gets this time around.

Wales are the Arsenal of the game imho. One day they can be awesome and play lovely rugby. Another day when heads go down they can be made to look poor. Again a semi final spot might be the goal.

Ireland the ageing old men in green. They have the experience and the line out but they just cant get round the park quick enough to stop a force like NZ or Aus. If players stay fit they will be competive in each game they play.

Scotland. Well they are just Scotland.

France have become a bit of a joke and it will be interesting to see which squad is picked. A flair team, and if they get on a role who knows.

Argentina performed well last time but I can't see them causing many shocks this time around.

It's always fun to see the big men from the Pacific islands and I enjoy watching Fiji, Samoa and Tonga.

It's also a chance to see how some emerging nations are coming along but in truth they are just there to swell the numbers.

So, any Rugby fans on TSN or any general opinions or predictions?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait for the RWC but failing to appreciate how early it all kicks off (final in 03 was 22nd Nov) I booked a hol to the US slap bang in the middle! I don't think we will win it and I share your view on the semis.

Caught bits of yesterday which looked solid enough aside from the last 10 mins so maybe, just maybe, we will put out a stunning performance in NZ. Even in 03 we had worrying matches like the two against Samoa and Wales.

You just never know, I don't think anyone thought we'd end up in the final last time around. In 2003 we were better but didn't really expect to go all the way. When we booked the tickets we thought we'd just be there for a great game regardless of who was playing and it turned out to be a bl00dy fantastic game :grin:

DSC00677.JPG

• 5 weeks later...
I think England will do better than many expect.... But the All Blacks will smash any side at the moment. They took the aussie side apart at the weekend. They are unbeatable right now.

The NZ rugby team suffer from the same complex as the England football team.. too much pressure. They just buckle come world cup time. No doubt they are the best in the world (they have been for over a decade) but they just go to pieces when the pressure is on.

The NZ rugby team suffer from the same complex as the England football team.. too much pressure. They just buckle come world cup time. No doubt they are the best in the world (they have been for over a decade) but they just go to pieces when the pressure is on.

You mean they believe they're world class when in fact they are at best average? Oh, wait:roflmao:

I'm proper mental excited about the world cup and have been for months. Unfortunately, being over in the US now, I'm going to struggle to see much of it (certainly not much live) so will be gleaning what I can from live streaming, radio and internet text based commentary.

I think England have a reasonable shot at a place in the semis. We should deal with our group reasonably comfortably - Argentina aren't the side they were 4 years ago and Scotland are improving but not quite in time. I'm not saying that we're nailed on favourites, we could lose to either of them, of course, but we should have a degree of confidence. After that it looks like France if all goes to form. France don't like playing us full stop and hate playing us in world cups.

that gets us to the semis and there anything can happen. I don't think we need to be frightened of Australia (beaten them hoem and away recently) or South Africa, who aren't the force they were. The ABs are rightly favourites but they've choked before. Repeatedly.

So who knows... The last 2 WCs should give us confidence. In 2003 we were the team to beat and proved it. In 2007 we were a laughing stock yet made it to the final (I went to that one - we were a clear second, to be fair).

As for the team/squad, I think our front five has strength in depth but the back row needs to perform better than in the 6N. If Youngs gets back to form, he can be a game winner. And it's a joy to have Jonny playing well again. Our centre choices are limited. Very - let's hope Tuilagi arrives on the scene in a big way. But our back three has oodles of potential and teams won't be as keen to kick the ball back to us as in the past.

Realistically, we're probably 4th favourites but I still think we have a chance as long as we stay clear of injuries in key positions.

I can't wait.

Out to France Chris - I don't think so, they are rubbish at World Cup Rugby (in general). If we din't win the group stage it is NZ in the quarters. In all the finals we have been to we have not faced NZ either so that would be a good thing to break. I bet we get to the semis and no further.

If we din't win the group stage it is NZ in the quarters. In all the finals we have been to we have not faced NZ either so that would be a good thing to break. I bet we get to the semis and no further.

Aside from when Jonah Lomu ran all over Tony Underwood (and the rest of the team), of course. And we were in their group in both 87 and 91, I think. If you'd said in all the finals we have been to, we haven't beaten NZ, I think that might be more accurate! :sauer:

Oops, it was 91 and 99 - seems longer ago than that...

Edited by JamesB
Factual inaccuracy - and on the internest as well

Out to France Chris - I don't think so, they are rubbish at World Cup Rugby (in general). If we din't win the group stage it is NZ in the quarters. In all the finals we have been to we have not faced NZ either so that would be a good thing to break. I bet we get to the semis and no further.

I just think we're getting a little too excited on past tournaments. We've hardly been playing wonderful and flowing Rugby of late. I see us falling early.

I disagree. The England football team are crap all the time, not just when the major tournaments come around.

I just think we're getting a little too excited on past tournaments. We've hardly been playing wonderful and flowing Rugby of late. I see us falling early.

Nope, we haven't been playing wonderful, flowing rugby. But neither have Scotland or Argentina, and beating them gets us in to the quarter finals at least. If games go to form, we then face France, who have been worse than us of late, who we beat comfortably in the 6N and whose incumbent coach has already been sacked but will be in place for the tournament. A place in the semis won't necessarily take great performances.

It's also generally the rule that wonderful, flowing rugby doesn't win knock-out tournaments.

It's also generally the rule that wonderful, flowing rugby doesn't win knock-out tournaments.

In that case we must be odds on favourites.

Think how tough a football world cup is on the players body in respect of how many games they play in a short space of time and at the end of a long hard season. Now imagine how hard it must be for these guys who get smashed around for 80 minutes.

It often comes down to who's got the most left in the tank and that's where the draw comes into play. Sure the smaller pacific islanders are not expected to win in many games but i bet none of the NZ players are looking forward to the Tonga game the way those guys hit. Few key injuries and the door is wide open.

In the same vein if we score early against Argencheater and dent their morale we could get off lightly. If we start slow and give them confidence then they will physically beat us up all game.