Data plan for A7

Phantom

Finally got my data plan sorted out for the A7 today, went with Vodafone due to the good coverage I get with them via my Blackberry. Given that I rarely make or receive calls in the car I went for a standard 'tablet' data plan. As I already have a SIM in my iPad I got a slight discount so paying £5 (normally £7.50) a month for 500Mb on a 30day rolling contract.

I will see how this goes in terms of data download and how much Google Earth swallows up each month. Once I have downloaded the maps for my more common journeys then that should be it until Google decides to release a new set of maps. The onboard hard drive is configured to allow 2Gb for storing Google Earth images.

Tried the WiFi hotspot in the car and it worked a treat with my laptop and iPad connected at the same time. The online search is pretty cool, allowing you to search for destinations via Google and then set addresses directly without having to type in any post code etc.

• 1 month later...

Hi, yes the plan is working out fine at the moment. I think I only used 100Mb in the first month of use. I don't tend to use Google Earth all the time, really just when I am round town etc. When the SIM is in the dash, the bluetooth connectivity from the MMI is disabled, so unless I change my data plan to include a calls tariff as well then I can't make calls. Well you can but it will cost a lot more as it is outside my 500Mb allowance. I could easily chop the SIM card in and get another. Download speed is actually pretty good and Google Earth images are stored on the MMI's hard drive. What I have noticed is that you can then use these images for a couple of weeks (ie not having to connect to Google Earth via data services), but after this period, the MMI will download new images from Google Earth and overwrite the ones previously downloaded. Annoying really, given that Google doesn't update their images on too regular basis. Something you have to live with....

To be honest I try and avoid making calls when I am driving anyway, so it is not a big deal for me, but it is useful to have access to Google Earth and the online services as and when I need them.

I don't know if Craigyb has a workaround for the bluetooth issue?