2011/2012 Premier League predictions

Milo

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, the death of Scottish football was proclaimed loud and clear last night in my opinion.

Celtic humbled by the Swiss giants that everyone is always talking about - Sion.

Rangers humiliated by the might of the Slovenian mega-stars that are NK Maribor.

Hearts pummelled 0-5 at home by an English club that couldn't even make the Champions League places and then simply put up the wall for a 0-0 at White Hart Lane.

Absolutely shocking performances by the representatives of Scotland.

To put it into context, Rangers and Celtic are now names with no European football this season when the following clubs all managed to get through to the second-rate Europa Cup group stages...

AEK Larnaca

Alania Vladikavkaz

Birmingham City of the mighty Championship (without a win to date domestically?)

Vorskla Poltava

PAOK Salonika

FC Metalist Kharkiv

But, and much more tellingly in my view...

Shamrock Rovers

Yes, the mighty and world feared Shamrock Rovers managed to reach the Europa Cup group stages (with a very meritable defeat of Partizan Belgrade). Now, if that doesn't tell you something about the state of Scottish football, I don't know what does. It is deep in the mire and I don't see how, considering the financial plight of their clubs now, they're going to get out of this for a very, very, very long time.

By the way, Shamrock Rovers won't even be able to play their home games at their stadium. They don't have seats. They'll have to install them at the famed and on-the-edge-of-everyones-lips Tallaght Stadium! So they're going to be playing at Dublin's Arriva Stadium.

Un-fecking-believeable, and nothing less than shameful.

I'm amazed you can proclaim football is "dead" in Scotland. That's on a par with brazen headline making.

I can't argue that it's a poor effort by all the Scottish clubs but there are a lot of good, competitive and entertaining games up here.

The phone number figures that english clubs are paying on salaries and transfers can not and will not ever be replicated up here and that can only mean that the clubs in Scotland will always be playing catch up. However our national side is much improved and the grass roots game is starting to take shape.

The old firm are(and I really don't care who disagrees) amongst the top 5 clubs on this island when it comes to sheer size and potential. However their lack of pocket money due to television revenues severely hampers them.

FYI Norway, ranked 12th in the world, also have no representatives in Europe, so is Scotland being in the same boat ranked 55th any real surprise.

So in summary, yes its a sh/t state of affairs, bit I'm not shocked it's sh/t. I'm shocked they have progressed so far in the past with their budgets though.

---

-

Ps Hearts were rightly knocked out.

Rangers outplayed the other lot over 2 games but had no cutting edge.

Celtic had a duffer of a centre half sent off after 3 minutes and conceded from the penalty. A Celtic team who actually play a lot of nice stuff but haven't yet found their feet.

All from a QoS and arsenal supporter.

---

-

Ok then, let me give you the article by your very own Chick Young....

Scottish football has a new address - right at the bottom of Skid Row, just before the end of the world

To save you reading all of it - some quotes:

"We are manure, and we know we are"

"A new low"

"We are a nation whose future is embarassing our past"

There are NO competitive games in Scotland between GOOD teams. They're only competitive because all the teams are crap. They're on the same level. Crapness can't get any crapper and anyone in Scotland claiming different is deluded.

Shamrock Rovers are in fecking Europe for Christs sake. It's time for Scots to wake up and smell the roses. Your football scene is in tatters. You have no credibility at all. The quality you watch is abysmal. Your teams would be relegated from the Championship and laughed out of the Premiership. They are, with a capital letter, S-hit.

It's got nothing to do with salaries - and I'll shatter your argument by asking you to re-examine the list of clubs above and the salaries of those clubs that knocked your supposed 'big' clubs out of Europe (before they'd even got there).

The belief that the Old Firm are still in the Top 5 clubs in GB is unbelievable. Sheer size and potential? Oh come on, you're holding on to a very, very outdated view I'm afraid. Swansea would annihilate them both.

It has nothing at all to do with money! None whatsoever! You had money - you blew it. Big style.

It is, in essence, the worst professional top league in Europe. Bar none.

Lol, you make me laugh with your sheer commitment.

I'll pick one quote out though about top 5 in the island and your Swansea reference. Size and potential doesn't win games, I know that, you know that. But you've went off on a tangent there. You are mixing up club size and potential with team success.

Also chick young is a joke figure up here, as you will well know if you're still using google to gleam facts in a sudo-intellectual-Internet-professor type way.

Sorry, back to the premier league....

---

-

I think Scottish football is suffering from a few cold, hard financial facts. The two Glasgow clubs simply don't have the money they had a decade or two ago so cannot attract the quality of English and European players they used to (like Gazza and Larsson). I have no idea where that money's gone given the size and fanatacism of their support, but it has.

Just about the only other Scottish club with any chance of dragging itself towards the declining standard of the old firm is owned and run by a mad dictator who makes Mugabe look like Mother Theresa.

The rest, apart from the odd freak blip - such as Aberdeen under SAF all those years ago, and Gretna more recently (and look how that ended) - are and always have been shyte, English Conference level at best.

Ah yes, Gretna. Died in 2006 and now under fans ownership (moreorless) after being reformed in 2008.

A very sad story indeed that one.

It's a sad story in the way the multi millionaire owner bled local businesses dry with no intention of ever paying for services rendered leaving many on the brink or actually folding.

Sure it was a romantic story but in reality it was shambolic in the way it was allowed to happen when everyone really knew what was going on.

Not that I'm bitter that they were rivals of QoS or that the manager might of once stole my brothers appearance money.

---

-

Just thinking about one particular match this weekend.

With all the goings on at Arsenal and Wenger's continued descent into delirium, it could be one of those watershed results.

What score would be bad enough for the Arsenal board to think enough is enough? 4-0? 5? 6?

Then again, football being the wonderful game it is, I'd be equally unsurprised by a 2 or 3 goal Arsenal victory!