Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Soulboy

The TSN personal fitness thread: 15/09 - 15/12

436 posts in this topic

So following on from the other thread.

This is for anyone wanting to set themselves any kind of personal fitness target to achieve between 15 Sept and 15 Dec 2011.

The idea is to commit yourself to it here, in the hope it will provide some extra motivation to achieve it.

No set format. It can be anything you wish to achieve which is health/fitness related (but I guess weight loss may be popular).

You can report in with progress at any time.

+++

I will set mine after a weigh in and fitness test at the gym.

Good plan. It's time I actually stopped pontificating about losing some weight and got on with it.

I'm in.

However, due to the fact you've given me 2 weeks grace I feel the need to drink all the alcohol in the house and gorge until the 15th.

I'm in.

However, due to the fact you've given me 2 weeks grace I feel the need to drink all the alcohol in the house and gorge until the 15th.

Sounds like we should make a meet out of this too :grin:

Good plan. It's time I actually stopped pontificating about losing some weight and got on with it.

Do you fancy doing some punchbag / pads boxing workout at David Lloyd cheadle garcon?

Happy to sign you in as a guest if you fancy it.

Did someone say meat?

Oh, meet, sorry.

If you need to loose 5 kgs, go on a holiday to Sharm. Dive and snorkel 2 miles a day, eat from the all inc menus, get a stomach bug and the combined result of exercise and easy exit food will result in a healthy weight loss.

Right. I'm in. I'm going to cycle the long way to work at least 60% of the time (ie, 3 days out of 5 in a working week). Not interested in how much I weigh. Am interested in feeling less knackered all the time. Am also going to do my best to cut down the booze.

I could do with finding another squash buddy - but nearer to home in P'Bro, so I could play more than once a week.

Right. I'm in. I'm going to cycle the long way to work at least 60% of the time (ie, 3 days out of 5 in a working week). Not interested in how much I weigh. Am interested in feeling less knackered all the time. Am also going to do my best to cut down the booze.

Kill caffine and start drinking water.

Do you fancy doing some punchbag / pads boxing workout at David Lloyd cheadle garcon?

Happy to sign you in as a guest if you fancy it.

Interesting.

It'd kill me in about five minutes flat right now, but perhaps a little down the line it'd be something new I've never tried before.

Good point from Chri5 re caffeine. I'm sure half the reason I feel knackered a lot of the time is just being a fat bastard, but I've been drinking more coffee at work and more caffeine drinks on the car journey up and down every week in the last few months and although it might stop me nodding off and driving into a bridge I don't expect it's doing any long term good. :uhoh:

My target is as follows:

1. Lose 5kg (I am currenty 85kg and 80kg is back in 'normal range' for my age / height)

2. Improve Cardio fitness

3. Reduce Alcohol intake

How I intend to achieve it:

1. Exercise at least 5 times a week. If I am short of time, can always go for a quick run in the evening or on the punchbag in the garage for 20 mins........no excuses! Anything is better than nothing.

2. Cut out unhealthy snacks and replace with healthier snacks. Nut bars and fruit instead of crisps and chocolate

3. Drink less, especially wine at home. I find it hard to stop once the bottle is open.

4. Do fit test at gym to measure VO2 cardio and make sure it improves.

5. Eat slightly smaller portions at meal time.

Nothing too major. Its more lifestyle changes which can be maintained than a crash course for me.

Edited by Soulboy

You're either really short or nowhere near as bad as you made out :roflmao:

I know what I want to achieve as a basic starting point but would hope to exceed, I reckon following your point 3 (i'm exactly the same as you when it comes to wine, probably 4 or 5 bottles a week but that's a 2:1 split with the wife so 3 or so by myself) should lead on to the weight reduction. Also need to find a way to get more active, at the moment I feel so lethargic that it's a struggle to actually start doing something. Get home from work feeling knackered and having two kids jumping on you, spending time with them, getting them to bed then cooking etc seems to eat up most of the evening, then clean the kitchen, bit of tidying up and it's 9.30/10 and just want to sit down with a bottle and the wife.

Must find extra time somewhere! Not helped by a half hour lunch break so by the time i've eaten something there's not even time for a quick walk.

Anyway broadly speaking my basic target is get back down to 15 1/2 stone which was my stable (but way too heavy weight) for the last 7 years or so, that's gone up over the last 18 months to 16 stone 8lbs so means i'd have to lose 15lbs/7kgs.

Once i've done that I can enjoy christmas and get a proper new years resolution with sensible aims.

We bought a hanging Lonsdale punchbag (last year) - I really do need to put it up in the garage!

Would be great to disappear for a short while. Wife wants to too.

You are going to have to do a bit of lateral thinking there StooH, as you do seem pushed for time.

A number of little things you can build into your every day life? Maybe get up early and do a 15 min jog, 10 flights of extra stairs during the day, etc.

And every time some surplus calories are going to pass your lips - just think do i really need it? cause if I eat/drink it, I am either going to put it on as fat or have to burn it off.

We bought a hanging Lonsdale punchbag (last year) - I really do need to put it up in the garage!

Would be great to disappear for a short while. Wife wants to too.

Just make sure you set it up right cruiser, with a proper swivel and one of those carbiner hook things, so you can take it down quickly.

And ideally you need some 16oz leather bag gloves (not PVC)......poss 12 oz for Mrs. The PVC ones fall to pieces and the more padding the better for protection.

And you definitely need some wraps to wrap your hands and wrists tightly. Most people damage their wrists when learning to punch the bag properly. And then it takes a long time to recover and start trainiing.

I haven't got a specific goal just at the moment, but I'll try to think of something. In the mean time, a tip:

Cutting out bad food/ drink will yield far more results than increasing physical activity.

Just make sure you set it up right cruiser, with a proper swivel and one of those carbiner hook things, so you can take it down quickly.

And ideally you need some 16oz leather bag gloves (not PVC)......poss 12 oz for Mrs. The PVC ones fall to pieces and the more padding the better for protection.

And you definitely need some wraps to wrap your hands and wrists tightly. Most people damage their wrists when learning to punch the bag properly. And then it takes a long time to recover and start trainiing.

Oh! Will check the bag and see what the gloves are made of. Thanks!

I have seen a few of the Lonsdale bracket things in Argo and on eBay. The previous owners of the house had one and it was on the breeze blocks. The breeze blocks act as buttressing on the brick wall in the garage - so should be strong enough.

It's the long punch bag too.

My targets are:

1. Hit my goal weight of 81KG - I am currently 89KG

2. Run 2 x 10K races, 1 Half Marathon and 1 8 mile extreme trail race

3. Run 5K in under 30 minutes

How I am going to get there:

1. Continue eating a low GI sensible diet.

2. Continue my current running programme for the next month or so (half is this weekend, 10K 1 is next weekend, 10K 2 is at the start of Nov and trail race at the start of December) when I will move the longer runs to the local woods to get used to the uneven terrain.

3. Start doing some speed work to build my 5K speed up - run the Parkrun 5K as many Saturdays as I can

So for me it's a continuation of what I've been doing for the last 5 months :)

I'm going to follow this bloke's example on how to get a 6/8 pack.........

post-4326-1379144734_thumb.jpg

Who said there are no short-cuts?

Sam, what you've done is truly amazing - it's been great to follow your progress on FB +++

From 15th Sept, I'll be almost there, because of the London Brighton x-country bike ride thing I'm doing with DHA and Mac for the BHF on 24th September.

Lost almost 2KG, still got 0.2 to go and then keep it there for a month after the ride. Then go back up to 90KG at the same body fat percentage by the beginning of December. Bloody hard to do and will drive Mrs Mook absolutely nuts in terms of what I will and, more importantly won't be eating and drinking, but hey, you need a goal to aim for :)

I haven't got a specific goal just at the moment, but I'll try to think of something. In the mean time, a tip:

Cutting out bad food/ drink will yield far more results than increasing physical activity.

Do both and see how much difference it makes. You need to increase your metabolism, don't just stop eating - that's the absolute worst thing you can do and you'll put more weight on again afterwards.

Sam, what you've done is truly amazing - it's been great to follow your progress on FB +++

Thanks Mook - I am very happy and truly feel like a different person!

Do both and see how much difference it makes. You need to increase your metabolism, don't just stop eating - that's the absolute worst thing you can do and you'll put more weight on again afterwards.

Absolutely, I just wanted to offer that tidbit for those that are worried about trying to make time for exercise +++

From 15th Sept, I'll be almost there, because of the London Brighton x-country bike ride thing I'm doing with DHA and Mac for the BHF on 24th September.

Forget all this fitness/weight talk, you going for a beer or two in sunny Brighton afterwards?