The TSN personal fitness thread: 15/09 - 15/12

Soulboy

Will check my Tesco 'no added sugar' 'concentrated' lemon squash when I get home and report back. :P

In truth Mook, what do you suggest we should drink with a meal when we're bored of water? Normal squash in moderation? Fruit juice (just as sugary surely?) ? Smoothies (homemade better?) ? Presumably not diet fizzy drinks like Coke, Lilt etc...

Or wine? :grin:

Guinness ;)

Look, the rules are simple. Eat and drink natural products, not artificial sh*t. What does your body do with artificial sh*t? Either dumps it straight out or stores it. As fat.

If you have to drink squash, just check the ingredients - if there's E this or E that, park it and find another one.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So today was a good day in the weigh in stakes. I am now only 0.8 lbs from my goal of 12st12lbs, and have lost a total of 94.2lbs. Going to push the target down to 12st7lbs just to see the magic 100lb loss and to get the (meaningless) bmi number into the 'normal' range.

Well done, excellent effort. Weigh in tomorrow but had a few reds and cheese on Saturday night!

My manmaths makes that something over 7 stone.

Feckin ell, Sam! I knew it was a lot obviously, but that just brings home how much and what a fantastic effort that is - and how fantastically different you must feel!

With a little luck, my weigh in on Friday might just bring up my first stone lost since mid September - a bit more than four more to go in my rather rough plan to mid 2012...

My manmaths makes that something over 7 stone.

Feckin ell, Sam! I knew it was a lot obviously, but that just brings home how much and what a fantastic effort that is - and how fantastically different you must feel!

With a little luck, my weigh in on Friday might just bring up my first stone lost since mid September - a bit more than four more to go in my rather rough plan to mid 2012...

Yup a little under 7 stone done :) Different doesn't even describe how I feel - just totally transformed

Lights, drumroll, music. It's the Thursday weigh in!

Last week 13stn 7 1/4lb

Today 13stn 3 3/4lb

Loss 3 1/2 lb, nice.

Question Mook, how do you know what is your ideal weight is? Little areas like the famous love handles, will they come off with losing weight or would it be better to exercise them off? When you've got to your goal do you start eating more so you don't lose more weight?

Lights, drumroll, music. It's the Thursday weigh in!

Last week 13stn 7 1/4lb

Today 13stn 3 3/4lb

Loss 3 1/2 lb, nice.

Question Mook, how do you know what is your ideal weight is? Little areas like the famous love handles, will they come off with losing weight or would it be better to exercise them off? When you've got to your goal do you start eating more so you don't lose more weight?

Nice one +++

The question you ask is one at the very forefront of my mind as I rapidly approach my goal. Still don't have an answer but when I do I'll post it here :)

Fook :ffs:

Managed to go up 3/4 lb to 16st 1/2lb. Pretty pissed off. Been eating reasonably sensibly this week (except friday) not exceeded my 2500 calorie limit (good few hundred under it most days) only drunk Friday night and a small glass of red last night but haven't exercised except for the demolishing of the front room.

Very annoyed, hoped my body would have shown me a little respect even if it was only 1/4lb loss. Got a crappy stinking cold today as well so feel all sorry for myself :(

2500 calories a day sounds like a lot to me though, especially with no exercise.. I could be wrong though, how did you get to that figure as one for weight loss. I tend to aim for 1800 on days where I don't exercise and a few more - but no where near 2500 - on days when I do.

2500 calories a day sounds like a lot to me though, especially with no exercise.. I could be wrong though, how did you get to that figure as one for weight loss. I tend to aim for 1800 on days where I don't exercise and a few more - but no where near 2500 - on days when I do.

Oh bugger - I'm getting through 3,000+ a day at the minute :eek:;)

Depends how tall you are, what sort of frame you have, as well as what you personally consider ideal.

I take it from your comment that you've been doing minimal exercise? Sadly what will happen is when you move off your current eating regime, it'll probably go straight back on, because you've not changed your metabolism and your body will think "yes, here's some food I've been craving for ages, because the bastard's been starving me, so I'm now going to store it in case it happens again."

Yes, you guessed how your body stores energy for later use...

Yes, it's a PITA, but you've got to think about what makes your body burn consumed energy (i.e. food) and stored energy (i.e. fat) - the answer is muscle.

Genuinely the only way to get to your target weight and stay there is to look at the muscle mass in your body and figure out where you need to be. No you don't have to go all Arnold Schwarzenegger on us, but it's about your metabolism and how energy gets burned.

You also don't have to lift weights for a living - you have to condition your muscles to work, be it through running, biking, circuit training, whatever, but you have got to exercise.

And no, doing hours of endless cardio on treadmills, cross-trainers or bikes in the gym is not the way to do it. All you're doing is conditioning your heart to cope with the increased strains, which is why it's called cardio.

Resistance and interval training are the kings of everything - training and conditioning your muscles to do what they were originally designed to do. Resistance can be anything, but if you don't want to do the whole gym thing, then do simple, bodyweight exercises, like press-ups, pull-ups, leg raises, lunges etc. And not just five or ten of each, you need to do sets of them.

Somewhere to start might be just doing 3 sets of 10 of each, so three lots of 10 pressups, 3 lots of 10 pullups etc.

You're probably going to say "But I can't do 10 pressups and I can only do 3 pullups".

Bollox. You can if you want to. If you don't want to, then get the f*ck off the train.

Do the maximum you can up to 10. So if you can only manage 5 of each exercise, do 3 sets of 5 press-ups, 3 sets of 5 pullups, 3 sets of 5 lunges etc etc, 4 or 5 timesa week. The following week, do 3 sets of 6 press-ups - and keep going til you reach 10 for every exercise.

That's a starter on resistance training for you - I'll talk about Interval training another time. I've got some work to do. Apparently ;)

I really need to sort out a subscriber web site for this stuff - I've had to trawl a huge number of sites and info sources for everything I've learned, as well a pestering personal trainers, nutritionists, physios and doctors for info.

Edited by Mook

Thanks for the info Mook. Tbh I've cut down but I'm now not starving. And eating good foods. I love mtb but that can be difficult with getting out regularly. I have a cannons gym (called something else now) right next to me but didn't really enjoy the gym experience. Running seems to fit with me on a time basis. Jut concerned I'll wreck my legs/ankles. I'll look at the app SamD mentioned.

I thought that 2500 was the 'average' recommended male amount, being 6 foot I'd have thought that coming in a few hundred under it on 6 day out of 7 days would have been ok to NOT put weight on. Although I've not done exercise I've not been inactive. Just annoying to have put a bit on.

I thought that 2500 was the 'average' recommended male amount, being 6 foot I'd have thought that coming in a few hundred under it on 6 day out of 7 days would have been ok to NOT put weight on. Although I've not done exercise I've not been inactive. Just annoying to have put a bit on.

The whole calories thing is just wrong, though. A calorie is the amount of energy required to heat one litre (well, technically one KG) of water by one degree. It was never originally intended to be used in the food industry.

It's what makes up those calories that's important, but you know that already!

And your metabolism naturally drops as you get older, which is why it becomes more challenging to lose or maintain a specific weight.

There's no average "recommended" number of calories - it's approximate guidelines. Everyone's different +++

Mook.

Thanks for all your input here. It really is appreciated.

You could expand a bit on that previous post and put it up as a locked new thread with a sticky (like news stig)........for quick reference......and to stop having to re-iterate stuff.

+++

As for the what to drink on the non alcohol evenings, I get stuck into cold sparkling water, with a big slice of fresh lime. I find it quite addictive if you have been training.

Edited by Soulboy

Ok, did three sets of 10 on press ups, lunges (each leg) and leg raises (bloody tough!). Haven't got anywhere to do pull ups, any other suggestions to replace this with? Ta

Not replace, but try adding these:

• Prisoner squat - standing up, hands behind your head, and squat down and back up.
  • Offset press-ups - same as a normal press-up, but with one hand placed on a box or whatever that's six inches off the ground - focuses more on your core.
  • Star jumps - you probably did these at school - aka jumping jacks.
  • Spiderman - same position as you would for a the start of a press-up (arms extended), then move one leg out to the side and forward and then back, then do the other leg - similar to the way you might see Spiderman climbing a building
  • Vertical jumps - from a standstill, squat down and jump straight up as high as you can, come back down into a squat and repeat.
  • Spiderman push-up - combine a regular press-up with the spiderman, so start at the top, go down, bring your leg in, take your leg back, press back up and then repeat.
  • Side to side jump - should be fairly obvious. Jump as far as you can from one side across to another.
  • Burpees - start in the press-up position, keeping your hands on the floor, jump your knees in to your chest, then jump up as high as you can. When you come down, go straight back to your hands on the floor with your arms extended, and then jump your feet back out again, so you're back at the start of the press-up position.

What you'll notice is that I've alternated between upper and lower body. Try to stick to this. Minimum rest between sets should be 10-15 seconds. NO rest between reps. Do three sets of each exercise, minimum 10 reps.

You'll be working hard doing all of this, but you'll get an endorphin rush afterwards if you've done it properly.

Keep this whole routine going for 20-30 minutes (repeat them all once you've got through three sets of each) and you'll not only burn calories while you're doing it, but four a couple of hours afterwards as well.

Next... ;)

Edited by Mook

While I remember, do NOT do sit-ups (can't remember if I've said that before in this thread).

They are one of the biggest causes of lower back pain, very few people do them right, unless they've already got a strong core and they do NOTHING to help you lose fat - your abs are not big muscles. You need to be working the bigger muscles to burn calories - legs, back, chest +++

Friday morning weigh in, 4 Nov 2011:

Weight: 19st 3.5lb ... (-2lb, -13.5lb overall)

Waist: ...... 54.5in ... (0.0in, -1.5in overall)

Steps: ........5076 ... (rolling ave 3823, up 208)

Initial target date 16 Dec 2011

Weight target = 18st 0lb (-2st 3lb)

Waist = belly at its largest point...

Steps = ave/day this week, rolling ave target = 5000

Put the fanfare away for a week ... half a pound off my first stone!

Over 5000 steps per day this week for the first time!

Looking at my targets I'm lagging a few pounds behind but to be honest if I keep up an average of 2lbs a week I'll be happy.

Edited by garcon