Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Soulboy

The TSN personal fitness thread: 15/09 - 15/12

436 posts in this topic

I had a weigh in on Monday morning, after my ablutions. I've never taken any notice of the % figure before as I wasn't even sure what it meant, so it will be interesting to see what happens to it over the next few months. Not sure how much my scales cost, but they do the job. Maybe I'll factor in some fancy WiFi ones when I redo the bathroom, and have an iGadget to link them to!

Anyway, I am 68.1kg and 17.5% body fat apparently. I'm not sure on a target because I've got distance and speed goals for the running more than weight loss, but I'd like to get that % down. Is 16% an attainable figure for three months time?

My target will be purely weight driven but I will keep an eye on the other bits of info to see how they change. GOing to do the weigh in tomorrow morning so will post up sometime later in the day, once i've finished crying. Just got to finish off those few bottle of Magners in the fridge tonight. And any wine I can find...

Is 16% an attainable figure for three months time?

You should be able to achieve that in 6 weeks, but you'll need to watch what you eat +++

You should be able to achieve that in 6 weeks, but you'll need to watch what you eat +++

Already in hand +++

I'd join in, but the scales are upstairs, and frankly, they might as well be at the top of Everest for all the likelihood of me making the effort to go and stand on them!

:roflmao:

That's the spirit Tipex +++ Go climb your Everest :grin:

That's about as likely to happen as him saying he likes new Audis :P

Well, as I happened to be upstairs anyway, I made the effort and stood on the scales, 17st 3lb's.

So, I'm not setting a target, as (thinly veiled excuse coming up) I just don't have the time at the moment to do any form of regular exercise, but I will start eating properly, and cut out evening snacks, and go swimming whenever I get the chance.

So it will be interesting to see if any of that results in any weight loss, I'll not weigh myself again until the TSN weigh in in 3 months.

I should add, that when we met on the Monaco run, I was just over 19 stone, so I was surprised to see I was 'only' 17.

Ok, I'm in too. Weighed myself this am, 14stone 6lb. I'm 6 foot tall and although quite fit could do with losing around a stone if I'm honest. I go through waves of being super healthy eating wise one day to ridiculously bad the next. Aiming to eat a healthier diet more consistently. Still mtb most Sunday's (25 miles) but need to find something in the week aswell. Being feeling tired of late, when on the bike and in general so a bit of weight loss may help.

Thing is though you could eat more healthily than ever before, but if you consume as many calories as you burn, you're not going to go anywhere +++

Above all, alcohol is evil when it comes to ludicrous numbers of carbs, and, because it's normally drunk at night, then your body keeps hold of it and stores it in its fat reserves overnight.

No, I'm not saying abstain from drinking - just think about how much and when you drink it +++

Edited by Mook

I think my figures are going to shock some of you when I put them up. In fact the others, apart from weight, will probably be a bit of a shock to me too. :uhoh:

Will post starting stats and targets to 15 Dec later, I'll then be checking first thing Friday mornings (fits in with my usual weekly schedule better).

I have some rather more vague - but decidedly challenging - long term goals, but I want to get things rolling first and concentrate on interim targets.

Right so I weighed myself this morning and turned on the analyser function, don't know where the instructions are so there's one of the readings which I have no idea what it is!

Weight - 16st 10 1/2 lbs - Gulp.

Body fat - 30.3% - Pork scratching.

Base metabolic rate - 2209 kcal. I guess this is pretty good starting point to be able to lose weight from!

Water - 50.9%

Body Mass Index - 31.8 - Officially obese.

So my target is...

To get down to 15st 7lbs by the 15 December.

That means losing 17 1/2 lbs in 3 months so 6 lbs a month, 1 1/2 lbs a week.

I'm aiming as follows:

15th October - 16st 2lbs (lost 8 1/2 lbs)

15th November - 15st 11 lbs (lost further 5 lbs)

15December - 15st 7 lbs (lost further 4 lbs).

They're certainly not crazy figures. I know you always lose a chunk very early, I'm not going to be able to do loads of exercise but will get the exercise bike out and start gently with 10 minutes a day just to get the heart beat going a bit without killing myself. Also going to dig my old dumbells out as I don't mind using those for a few sets in an evening and it won't do any harm.

Will try and remember to post up each week probably on a friday to show how i'm going. I reckon by doing that regularly i'll be more inclined to try and stick with it. If I don't post up someone pull me up on it!

Those are some fantastic targets stooH - good on you +++

Thanks for the motivation, it didn't even sound cheesy. +++

Cheese.... mmm....... :roflmao:

drank 1 1/2 litres of water today only a couple of cups of tea with sweetener, cornflakes for breakfast, small roll with chicken breast and no butter for lunch (did have a packet of crisps though!) and no snacks.

Now to go home and dust off the exercise bike...

I wouldn't worry about the BMI, most doctors now disregard it as a reliable method of measuring anything these days anyway.

I kinda jumped the gun on this and started on Sunday.

Am 6'1 and was 14st 4lbs on Sunday am and 14st 1 lb this morning.

Have cut out all caffeine and am drinking lots of water. Front loading my carbs as much as possible during the day. Well, within reason, still having a couple of wholemeal pittas or cous-cous with evening meal but aiming to eat it by 6-7pm if possible. Have also increased the protein component of my meals quite a bit.

The others changes are not drinking on a school night and not snacking in the evenings or polishing off the little-ones unfinished tea when I get peckish - which is always the worst thing to eat later on, such as macaroni cheese or pasta bake.

I've got to say I'm sleeping better and feel better, although I do get hungry in the evenings but will have a yogurt or just go to bed.

The other side effect has been my regular morning dump has become an every 36-hour occurrence and is a lot less offensive than it was!

Next week going to hit the cross trainer or MTB 3-4 times a week too.

Only just saw this count me in, will weight myself soon but I'm 15st 11ish I think and the scales last told me I'm 28% bodyfat approx.

I think a target weight with a 14 at the front could be achievable but dont have much 'me' time at the moment with a 1 year old but I will see what I can do. My issue is more excess food than a total lack of exercise so that should be easier to sort. +++

Right then. :uhoh:

Knowing this was coming, it appears I've subconsciously had a bit of a pig out in the last couple of weeks and put an extra few pounds on...

The fancy new scales I've bought also measure body fat %, body water %, muscle mass %, bone mass and Base Metabolic Rate (BMR). Or at least they should ... having done all the set up they just show weight then an error, so tomorrow I'll replace them and find out whether they were faulty or that's actually because my figures are currently beyond their range (entirely possible... :o ).

Starting figures as of this evening are:

Weight: 20 st 3 lb (128kg)

Waist(*): 56in (142cm)

BMI: 42.89

* - I say waist. I mean gut at its largest point, roughly where my waist probably should be. My trousers are 44-46in.

Weight targets:

14 Oct: 19st 6lb (-11lb in 4 weeks)

11 Nov: 18st 10lb (-10lb in 4 weeks)

16 Dec: 18st 0lb (-10lb in 5 weeks)

Overall: -2st 3lb in 13 weeks.

Pedometer target (worn all day): to average 5000 steps per day over the full period. I have a hunch this may be low, so might up the target around half way through if appropriate. Pedometer also records est. km and calorie burn.

For me the 3 months to mid December is really just the start, but it's something to concentrate on for now. The targets are, I think, achievable with fairly subtle but sustainable changes in diet and exercise regime.

Longer term (not that I'm going to think too much about it just now) my goal is to shed another 3 or 4 stone (target 14-15 stone), be doing some kind of exercise every day (even if it's just a half hour walk) and be getting out in to them there hills doing some proper trekking (I believe that's the modern term for what ramblers under the age of 50 do... :P ) as often as I can. I may even plan/attempt some kind of epic trek as an ultimate goal.

Well done mate. Here's to a new, healthy, fitter bunch of guys! Must admit I started yesterday, followed a simple diet and didn't eat after 7pm (which was really hard). I can lose weight quite quick but can also put it on just as quick. My goal for next year is to ride the Beast, the long route.

Brecon Beast.

Right then. :uhoh:

Weight: 20 st 3 lb (128kg)

Waist(*): 56in (142cm)

BMI: 42.89

* - I say waist. I mean gut at its largest point, roughly where my waist probably should be. My trousers are 44-46in.

Weight targets:

14 Oct: 19st 6lb (-11lb in 4 weeks)

11 Nov: 18st 10lb (-10lb in 4 weeks)

16 Dec: 18st 0lb (-10lb in 5 weeks)

Overall: -2st 3lb in 13 weeks.

Well done, Garcon - looks like quite a Target !!

Can I suggest quietly to a few of you before you take on an aggressive weight loss/change of life feat, that you check into your G.P. and maybe get some vitals measured ? As a word of caution, if you've not had a particularly active lifestyle and/or a fatty diet for a good 20 years or so, a sudden change can be dangerous unless Medically supported ? I say this purely as a caution - I've seen two former work colleagues come to grief when they tried to move the weight loss process too fast and without the "right" supervision. +++

Thanks for the words of advice +++

I've been through the 'diet' cycle a few times already an am not doing anything too drastic, 15 minutes on an exercise bike at a reasonable rate yesterday, enough to get a sweat up and a little bit breathless but without feeling sick or too wobbly. I'll have a couple of weeks of that to start gettin my body used to it then gradually try and ramp it up (time allowing).

Good luck Garcon!

Not sure how your brain works and if you like having a tough targets to hit bit they're going to be challenging but I reckon achievable if you REALLY go for it.

Keep us posted +++