Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Soulboy

The TSN personal fitness thread: 15/09 - 15/12

436 posts in this topic

Eat as many sandwiches, MacDs, KFCs and BKs as you want. Oh, and Subways. See what I care :fecker: :P

I have a subway most afternoons when at work... :coffee::P

I had one last week. For the second time ever. Tasted OK, but man, the bloody salt in it :eek:

Actually I feel quite guilty after it all which I guess is a good sign. Went to Tesco for my lunch and bought some ryvita, light philadelphia and some air dried ham, little bit of the cheese on the ryvita, half a strip of ham on that and a little bit of plain chicken breast on the side to pad it all out.

After fish, chips and rather more beer than anticipated on Friday I've had a relatively restrained weekend. Didn't walk far enough though, so went for a quick two miler at lunch today. Need to keep the exercise going - definitely have the feeling it's the key to sustaining quick early losses.

P.S. Google adbots are NOT as funny as they think - adverts at the top of this thread currently showing "all you can eat buffet vouchers" :roflmao:

I think my adbot must be broken, I just get adverts for self storage, central heating and bricklaying in Barnsley?

Well, that was short lived. Fecked the ankle in 5aside tonight... Not sure if its broken or just tendon, but it looks like theres a few eggs stuffed under the skin and painkillers arent doing any good! Crackin start...

Well ive lost 3lb in the past week which is cool as I need to loose 2 lbs per week to be on target. +++

Arse. Put on a lb this week :(

Big blowout on Saturday plus a couple of long journeys up country stopping me from exercising on a couple of nights. To look at it on a slightly positive note I've lost 3 lbs since Monday. Technically still on target for 8lbs in 4 weeks but irritating as was hoping to get ahead of target.

Look, are you sodding doing this or not? It's not like it's difficult is it - to abstain from larding out for 12 weeks. For feck's sake. Sort yourself out and get with the programme or get the feck out :rolleyes::P

[/fitness instructor]

I managed a drop of 5lbs this week to put me at 13st 5.4lbs. Been compensating for the inability to run with Spin and swimming (2 hours of spin and an hour of swimming since Monday). I am now only 8 lb from where I want to be which is great, at which point I will focus on reducing body fat while staying broadly the same weight....

Ok, weighed in this morning. Dropped only 1lb, which although not much is in the right direction. I don't want to lose a load of weight to quick either as i think I'll jut put it back on. So 5lb lost in total, nearly half a stone. At 14stone 1 3/4lbs.

It's hard work adjusting from being a 'eat what you like' to a 'think, do I really need that?' but so far so good.

Sam - 5lbs is an impressive drop at your stage, good work!

I have a feeling my loss may be minimal this week, but aiming to readjust a few things next week which will hopefully improve things.

Weigh in first thing tomorrow. :uhoh:

Look, are you sodding doing this or not? It's not like it's difficult is it - to abstain from larding out for 12 weeks. For feck's sake. Sort yourself out and get with the programme or get the feck out :rolleyes::P

[/fitness instructor]

Sorry sir.

I've actually been really good this week, it was Saturday and my mates fault he asked me to get to the pub for 9.30...

On a serious note, as a lunch is Ryvita ok or a no no, low calorie, basically made of dust but is wheat based? Hmm...

Ok, weighed in this morning. Dropped only 1lb, which although not much is in the right direction. I don't want to lose a load of weight to quick either as i think I'll jut put it back on. So 5lb lost in total, nearly half a stone. At 14stone 1 3/4lbs.

It's hard work adjusting from being a 'eat what you like' to a 'think, do I really need that?' but so far so good.

Going well Luke +++

The whole thing about putting weight straight back on again is specifically to do with your metabolism running at the same rate as it always has (you can increase your metabolism through resistance and interval training - endless hours of cardio on a bike or at the gym does nothing long term). Just changing your eating habits will not help you long term to keep the weight off. Also, as you get older, your metabolism slows down, so you have to take this into consideration for any plan.

You have to get your body into caloric deficit, but you MUST get the balance right - you need a proper mix of protein, complex carbs, fibre, vitamins and minerals.

Yes, it's a royal PITA to have to think about all this stuff, but it's the only long-term way of doing it and getting it right.

I've actually been really good this week, it was Saturday and my mates fault he asked me to get to the pub for 9.30...

Your excuse for you. That is all ;)

On a serious note, as a lunch is Ryvita ok or a no no, low calorie, basically made of dust but is wheat based? Hmm...

As long as you're not just dumping all food out of your diet - you need to eat little and often. If you just cut back completely, your body will go into starvation mode and will hang on for dear life to every morsel it can get.

The average bloke will burn around 2,200 calories a day just existing. To lose weight, you need to be consuming fewer calories than you're burning, so, for example, if I was an average bloke and I ran 4 miles in the morning and did Spin for an hour in the evening, I'd be burning around an extra 800-1,000 calories, so to stay still, I'd need to get through 3,000 calories a day. I do eat a shed-load of food - more than 3,000 a day, but you've got to get the balance right. Don't eat 15 packs of Ryvita and equally don't eat a whole chicken and nothing else.

What you have got to do is start getting into resistance training (using weights - body weight is fine) and interval training. SamD is the best example I've ever seen who's thought "right, I'm going to get my sh*t together and do this right, first time" and it just bloody works.

It's f ucking hard work, but you have no idea how rewarding it is. I'm very lucky in that I've always had a high metabolism, but I've now cranked it through the roof and get a proper, big time buzz after doing some real hard graft. I was high as a kite after that 75 mile off-road event on Saturday.

Endorphins are great - better than nicotine or alcohol :)

Edited by Mook

Must admit that I need to work on a plan in the longer term. At present I'm just being careful about not eating in-between meals and keeping away from biscuits chocolate booze, etc. Trying to eat a better balanced diet too.

My fortnightly figures:

weight 84.6kg down from 85.3kg (target 80)

BMI 26.7% down from 27% (target 25%)

Body fat 27.6% down from 28.4% (target 23%)

Slow....but going in the right direction.

The food and drink has generally been going ok, except in just over a week we have had a free meal at a michelin star restaurant - where we pushed the boat out and have had 2 other good meals out (both lobster). So ended up drinking and eating too much on those occassions.

My big let down is that I have been so busy at work that I have only made it to the gym once or twice a week. Cant help it - just work commitments.

I actually love the gym, so cant wait to get back in the groove.

Overall rating: 5/10 could do better

:grin:

Friday morning weigh in, 30 Sept 2011:

Weight: 19st 10lbs (-0.5lbs)

Waist*: 55.0in (-0.5in)

Ave Steps/Day this week: 3414

Target = 18st by 16 December

Target steps = 5000 per day

* "waist" = belly at its widest...

Predictably small loss with a couple of "bad" nights and a definite need to up the average steps. Plans for a healthier weekend and only one dinner out next week...

Oh, and my scales deigned it appropriate to give me some other measurements, what with it being the last Friday in the month, bright sunshine and a full moon. Or something. Not completely sure I believe the figures, but here goes... :uhoh:

Body fat - 70% :eek:

Body water - 20%

Muscle mass - 10% :o

Bone mass - 2kg

BMR* - 2700kCal

(* BMR = base metabolic rate, i.e. theoretically what I burn per day just existing)

In fact I'm fairly convinced those figures are utter nonsense! It stopped measuring after a while, so who knows whether I'll get any more readings... :P

Well done on actually losing something though, even if it wasn't much (unlike me). Those stats from the scales are mighty impressive +++ I reckon as you get into the more 'measurable zone' you'll start seeing them becoming more realistic which fingers crossed should make you more motivated to keep going (even if the first set were fictitious).

I actually think the belly at it's widest measurement is a sensible one to take never thought of it before, I always wear my jeans below my belly so although the waist measurement has gone up it's nowhere near as high as it should be. That also is the most obvious part of losing weight so I think i'll get out my 5m draper measuring rule and give that a go tonight!

My mates laugh at me as the last time i went on one it came up with Error! :roflmao:

Will do another weigh in tomorrow all being well but i dont think i would have dropped much as for some strange reason i aint had much energy this week for exercise. I couldn't go longer through one of those fitness vids compared to before. Seemed a bit odd. Eating wise i aint been starving myself and far from it in fact so was a bit odd.

First night off in 2.5 weeks. 4 pints of Stella, and cheese on toast when I got homet

After Friday nights discretions, I did a 22 mile off road bike ride this morning. 2:15 ride time, lots of climbs and according to cyclemeter app, 1404 calories burnt! Must admit that losing nearly half a stone really did made the ride easier. The hills I normally struggle on were still hard but seemed less of a chore. And I didn't feel too tired on the way round. And Mook, I didn't even have a GU gel! :P

And Mook, I didn't even have a GU gel! :P

:roflmao: