Non-Shouty/Argumentative Discussion About the RS3

Mac

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, having wider fronts than rears means Audi had to resort to desperate measures to improve the handling - if that tyre decision was anything like a good idea then wouldn't other manufacturers do it too..?

The Ferrari FF is 4wd and uses 245/35 ZR 20 on the front and 295/45 ZR 20 on the rear - I guess Ferrari got it wrong? :roflmao:

To be fair Bazza the FF is a bad example given the nature of the drivetrain and the weight distribution, though I do agree with your sentiment.

To be blunt though under 99% of conditions it makes zero difference. I know a chap with a Z4 who ran with the 255 rears on the LHS of the car and the 225 fronts on the RHS after Park Lane BMW screwed up the PDI. He didnt notice until I pointed it out to him after 9 months of pretty hard driving.

Atlas Grey, and I wasn't refering to the A6.

Thinking about Bazza's reference to the FF whilst cutting the grass, made me wonder why no one critisised Ferrari for not sorting the chassis enough to use equal sized tyres, yet people seem to think Audi and its RS3 solution is an abomination. I think its a fantastically simple solution to the packaging and handling balance issues the engineers faced.

Mainly because the Ferrari is perfectly balanced with the traditional wider rear tyre size, and has been designed to be like that, because you want the wheels that control your direction you to be light (unsprung weight), and able to change direction quickly, which Audi seem to have done the exact opposite.

Whereas with the Audi, it's clearly an afterthought, and a ham fisted attempt to cure an obvious problem.

No one can deny that Audi's understeer, they always have, it's the way Audi design them with the engine hanging out the front, so they can fit it longitudinally and squeeze the quattro system in.

Now I know the A3 doesn't quite fit that bill, not being a proper Audi, it's a Golf parts bin car, with a transverse engine and pretend 4wd, but in the RS3, it also has a heavy engine up front, so it underseers like a proper Audi, ask any owner of an A3 sized car with a large engine up front, they understeer, it's the laws of physics.

Audi's solution is, IMO, a poor one, Ford's answer to the problem is the Revo knuckle, a proper engineered solution to the problem that works, and I'd bet the Focus RS understeers less than the RS3, and it's not 4wd.

I can't say that it does, as I've not driven an RS3, but i'd put money on it.

As an aside, I haven't worked out why Audi haven't simply upped the width of the rears too, so we aren't all questioning why the fronts are wider? Perhaps they won't fit under the standard arches? Perhaps that just reintroduces the understeer issue, albeit at a higher threshold of absolute grip?

As an aside, I haven't worked out why Audi haven't simply upped the width of the rears too, so we aren't all questioning why the fronts are wider? Perhaps they won't fit under the standard arches? Perhaps that just reintroduces the understeer issue, albeit at a higher threshold of absolute grip?

I suspect that's the case ... and widening the rear arches (as they have with every other RS I can think of) was seemingly too much trouble/expense on this 45 grand car.

The second point is also possibly true, but within reason that should be possible to sort with geometry adjustments.

Maybe it's engine weight that has caused the increase front wheel size?

I am sure that SM engine wasn't light.

More likely a kneejerk reaction to comments that it doesn't look special enough.

Same thing happened with the MK1 TT. People said it didn't look sporty enough so Audi UK pressured quattro GMBH into offering the 18" RS4 9 spokes. Even though Germany warned it would ruin the ride/handling setup (which to be fair it did IMHO)

I remember seeing a green Audi A6 almost go airbourne on bumpy roads whilst on a run once near Coldstream.:roflmao:

Felt like I did on the A4095 north of Farringdon on Friday! Was waiting for the scrape but it never came. Was another massive yump up near a hamlet called 'Lew' if anyone knows the road. Epic fun.

Ever since 2000/2001 I have been wanting quattro GmbH to build the Audi RS3 but when it arrived I was left disappointed, Audi have focused more on what they could do with the standard sport back chassis without making costly changes, for example the rear aches would have required a factory retool.

The RS brand has been diluted with half attempts by Audi, the Audi RS4 (B7) was a possible turning point but instead Audi decided to use its success to sell the RS brand..... stick the RS badge on it and it will sell!!

The number one thing that I relate to in a car is that it feels special..... different and unique to me.... I tend to always compare cars to what I have owned or currently own and think about if the move to a more costly car would give me more smiles vs £££. The RS3 wouldn't in the long-run, at first the buzz and hype would be great..... but it wouldn't last.

If Audi had made the Audi RS3 a 3dr and manual with wide arches all round I might have given it more consideration.... oh and about £5,000 cheaper at the very least. But they didn't and its a missed chance.

I'm going to skip Audi when it comes to buying a new toy and will go straight to Porsche..... no messing about.

Riz :)

Riz, a question, have you taken an RS3 for a test drive?

I might be awful, but it might be good!

The price may be questionable but the allocation has been sold, so Audi must be doing something right?

To be fair the RS3 could be the best handling car in the world but that still wouldn't do it for me....... Audi was bound to sell the allocation given the low production volume and this will mean residuals should remain strong for at least a year too.

I was really tempted to test drive one but it doesn't tick my boxes....... it just doesn't come and shout at me, this could be a combination of price and looks.

For example....... I drive my Golf R32 and get a cheesy grin every time I turn the key...... I drive my cousins SLK55 AMG which is more desirable, has more power and sounds amazing..... but it doesn't bring a grin to my face like the 32...... performance is just part of the package for me......

This is why there are so many comments for and against the RS3, because people are looking from different perspectives.... just ilke myself.

I have the RS3 brochure sat here next to me...... I look through it and wonder..... but no matter how much I read/look at it, nothing make's me think "I have to have it".

Who knows I could change my mind but I already have a nice sounding hatchback....... I have no need for rear seats...... next on the list will be either a Nissan GT-R, Audi R8 or Porsche GT3 but will keep the R32 and Polo :D

It's all good marketing and the use of the RS brand which has sold the car, the reviews haven't me 100% in its favour.... a very predictable Audi RS car which is just not good enough... the RS5, RSTT and RS3 all fall into the same hole.... the B7 RS4 was something in the right direction though and took the fight to the next level.

Only a few RS cars stand out for me... they are....

1994 Audi RS2

2000 Audi RS4 (B6)

2004 Audi RS6 Plus

2005 Audi RS4 (B7)

Edited by Riz

Nice response Riz and fair enough too :)

The official allocation is sold, there are cancellations within this for sure. That should only be expected. 1M is no different. However there appears to be enough folk to take the slots up.

I have to be fair and they are only my views, the RS3 is no banger or slouch.... it still is a desirable car with excellent build, finish and reliability :)

If I came across a owner and his/her RS3 on the street I would give respect because it is on the streets where the RS3 will shine performance wise....... not on tracks or magazine reviews. I would never try it on with a RS3 in my R32...... but I would in my Polo Bluemotion 1.2TDi :D

Nice response Riz and fair enough too :)

The official allocation is sold, there are cancellations within this for sure. That should only be expected. 1M is no different. However there appears to be enough folk to take the slots up.

I think that's a fair point ahankins. In fact as I understand it the 1M didn't sell it's 450 allocation to begin with anyway.

• 2 weeks later...