[Audi A3/S3] Which would be quicker?

gav00

With the diesel you get just over 180bhp.

2.0TFSI engine will output nearly 240bhp.

Can't see the turbodiesel outrunning the turbocharged petrol car here.

From what I can remember there is over 2 second difference in 0-60 times between those two.

Ok, so 197bhp, vs the TDi at 140bhp, both turbo engines, so both will respond well to tuning, but, that's not even close.

Even if you remapped the TDi, and left the tfsi standard, the tfsi would still be quicker.

If you were comparing the 170bhp VAG TDi engine, then it might put up more of a fight.

In this instance, the torque figures don't really matter, as both being turbo, they both have good torque figures.

The TDi is going to be down on power compared to the tfsi in every instance (remapped or not), and the tfsi doesn't have a heavy diesel lump to pull around.

However, a remapped TDi will be 90% of the standard tfsi, but with vastly better mpg, so ultimately, it just depends what you want, power or mpg, and wether the fact the TDi is 3 years newer plays any part in your decision.

It`s not just the power and torque....don`t forget the handling...I owned a 2.0tfsi for 5yrs and tested the 2.0tdi....as well as having the deisel as loaner on a few occasions.....You really feel the weight of the deisel lump up front...In fact it`s the first thing you notice when throwing the car into a bend....especially if you`v just stepped out of a 2.0tfsi....I averaged 35mpg over 60k miles....so unless low co2 figuers and 40+mpg fuel consuption are a must...I`d take the tfsi everytime.

With the diesel you get just over 180bhp.

2.0TFSI engine will output nearly 240bhp.

Can't see the turbodiesel outrunning the turbocharged petrol car here.

From what I can remember there is over 2 second difference in 0-60 times between those two.

You're missing the classic point - torque (from which power is derived, when combined with the RPM).

Like I said, what are the figures that the remapped versions put out.

Thing is Mook, if we were talking about the 170bhp TDi, then yes, the torque might make up the downfall in bhp, but it's the 140bhp TDi, so I think the difference in power is just to big to even be close, even if both remapped.

I can't see the 140 TDi mapping to much over 170, and then as mentioned above, the tfsi will map to 240 odd, so again, imo, even without knowing the torque figures, i think the gulf is too wide.

In real world driving, unless you drive like a **** bouncing off the red line, torque is more important than bhp.

Even then it gets complicated. Higher tuned diesel engines - like the VAG 170bhp unit - tend to have narrower power bands than their less powerful siblings - like the 140bhp version of the same unit. To the extent that, with a manual gearbox, I wouldn't be surprised if a 140 kept up with a 170 most of the time.

I would think this is also why the TFSI in this case would be quicker. It may well have less torque, but it has more top end and a wider power band, whereas if you start chipping the diesel engine to try and get close you end up with everything in one barely useable 500 rev chunk.

Thing is Mook, if we were talking about the 170bhp TDi, then yes, the torque might make up the downfall in bhp, but it's the 140bhp TDi, so I think the difference in power is just to big to even be close, even if both remapped.

I can't see the 140 TDi mapping to much over 170, and then as mentioned above, the tfsi will map to 240 odd, so again, imo, even without knowing the torque figures, i think the gulf is too wide.

See my first post, mate - I'm not saying the diesel will be quicker than the petrol. My point is that people get obsessed with bhp figures and it's not the only thing to look at +++

Garcon's comment re torque being more important than bhp is correct.

The figures that superchips quoute for both maps are as follows...

Audi A3 FSi Turbo (200PS)

2004 onwards

Engine type : Turbocharged Petrol

Engine size : 1984 cm3

Cylinders : 4

Original bhp : 197

Original nm : 280

BHP increase : 41

NM gain : 54

Lb/Ft gain : 40

and

Audi A3 2.0 TDI CR (140PS)

2008 onwards

Engine type : Turbo-Diesel

Engine size : 1968 cm3

Cylinders : 4

Original bhp : 138

Original nm : 320

BHP increase : 33

NM gain : 61

Lb/Ft gain : 45

As you can see, there's a big difference in Torque and bhp in both engines!?