It's nearly winter

m4ttm4son

Following on from MrMe's shampoo thread, it reminded me that it's nearly winter and now my car's outside on the drive rather than in a cozy garage, I should give it a good bit of prep this year.

At the beginning of summer I conducted my first full detail - Wash (2 buckets), paint clean, clay, Klasse All in One, one coat of Collinite 915.

I really can't be arsed to clay again as it took forever and nearly killed me, but what steps should I still be including?

Do I want to be stripping off the remaining wax in order to put two fresh coats on?

What duration between coats of wax do I need to leave?

Claying should be no more than a 15-20 minute job!

You could use a strong APC (all purpose cleaner) solution in your wash bucket to strip any existing wax.

I'm sure there is some liquid stuff you can now use which works like clay but I can't recall what it's called!

I would leave 24 hours nbetween coats of wax if you can, if not, a minimum of 4-6 hours.

I doubt even Colinite applied early September would last much beyond December/Jan. I'd choose a nice mild mid October day

15-20 minutes? You've got to be kidding! On a car the size that the 6 series was, particularly around areas like the valance, it could take 1.5 hours easy!

I haven't even thought of doing the X with a clay bar and I reckon the Z would take a good 45 minutes to do properly. It's always the valance areas that get me - I hate doing them. In fact claying a car is easily the worst part of any of the detailing process in my opinion.

Claying should be no more than a 15-20 minute job!

You could use a strong APC (all purpose cleaner) solution in your wash bucket to strip any existing wax.

I'm sure there is some liquid stuff you can now use which works like clay but I can't recall what it's called!

I would leave 24 hours nbetween coats of wax if you can, if not, a minimum of 4-6 hours.

I doubt even Colinite applied early September would last much beyond December/Jan. I'd choose a nice mild mid October day

Not sure about a 20 minute clay job. Washing it takes longer than that and claying is a meticulous job, particularly considering it was the first time I'd ever used clay, so being careful. I didn't even bother with the front and rear valances. I figured they get too much dirt and grime to warrant being perfectly clean and shiny.

I have APC, so adding this to any shampoo will do the trick? I need to get some new shampoo so will be looking at ones which don't strip wax.

Before the second coat should I be giving it a quick wash first?

I do plan to get it done in October, apparently we may get a second bite at summer...

Personally, I don't find claying that long a job - drench with QD and use the clay bar like a bar of soap! I guess it depends how bad the paint is though. I tend to clay polish and wax 3 time a year so mine remains in fairly good nick.

IronX is an alternative to claying (that was the stuff I was thinking of) and I think there is another alternative available too.

Putting APC with your usual shampoo should be fine. If your applying a 2nd coat of wax the same day then I would just give the car a quick wipe over with a microfibre and quick detaining spray to remove dust etc. If your applying a 2nd coat of wax a 2nd day then I would wash again (unless garaged)

Edited by Tarmac_Terrorist

When you say APC, could you use something like Fairy liquid? I am keen to strip all the wax off my car next week, clay and then do a full polish and re seal with wax.

I am loving the Poorboys products. Did the Boxster with Black Hole at the weekend and it looks showroom. This will probably see limited use for the rest of the year....

White car needs a serious clean and clay and going over with the White Diamond. I have been randomly claying and waxing panels every other weekend when I time for a quick clean and I think it all needs to be brought back down to base and started from scratch.

I'm not going to wait for it to start being horrible weather before being outside for more than an hour! Plus I have to plan :)

I know what you mean about prepairing the car for winter,last year I thought during september I would give the car a good clean polish and wax ready for the winter. But did I get it done no when I had the time I didn't have the weather and vice versa,so last year the last wax it had was in July and that had to last until late March this year.All it had in between was a few washes.

Rick

When you say APC, could you use something like Fairy liquid? I am keen to strip all the wax off my car next week, clay and then do a full polish and re seal with wax.

I am loving the Poorboys products. Did the Boxster with Black Hole at the weekend and it looks showroom. This will probably see limited use for the rest of the year....

White car needs a serious clean and clay and going over with the White Diamond. I have been randomly claying and waxing panels every other weekend when I time for a quick clean and I think it all needs to be brought back down to base and started from scratch.

You could use fairy liquid but it does contain salt. Just get a cheap APC like Daisy from Tesco's - it's very cheap.

I also like Poorboys products; I use Diamond White on my white car and have regulalrly used Black Hole on Reds. I then top off with a wax to seal in the good work :)

• 4 weeks later...

Ideally, you need to decontaminate the car again, but trying to clay it all is a waste of energy.

Take a look at a fallout remover and tar remover, and use these first, then, if required, clay the remaining 'lumps and bumps' on the paints surface. Iron-X and Tardis, I have found to be the most effective, respectively.

Follow this up with your Klasse and Collinite, which will see you through Winter with ease.

I'd leave 24 hours between layers of 915, but realistically, you could add a second layer after 2 hours or so.