Considering early 1.8(180) TT as my daily commuter, am I bonkers???

deanogtv

Heres the crack, just taken a new job and have been given £4k to get a car with. I'll be driving 100miles a day to the office and it is solely motorway miles apart from the 2 miles from my house.

I'm thinking if I run it off turbo, cruise at 70mph, I might just be able to justify get one as a daily runner.

What peoples best mpg's from an early 1.8T model????

My 3.2 TT is averaging 30.8 mpg on its motorway commute, 75 mile round trip all motorway or dual carriage way. I seem to remember my 1.8t 150 TT roadster did mid 30's on a commute but not much more. I'm sure my 225 used to do late 20's, but thats going back a while and I cannot remember well.

You'll get a better example of this info on tt-forum.co.uk, as there is only a couple of us left here with them.

From that lump you'll get 30-35 depending on how you run. At 70, you'll be running a small amount of boost, but you've misinterpreted what the turbo does - it uses the exhaust to force more air in, so turbo'd cars tend to be more fuel efficient, hence the 20v versus the 20v turbo - the naturally aspirated one is dire on economy.

Personally, for £4k, I'd buy an early Golf GT TDI 140 and have it remapped. You'd have almost as much fun, have more room and have a decent resale value +++

This is interesting question. I have just become the owner of a 2000 X TT 225. On a trip this week where I had cruise set to 75mph for 85miles to the office then about 68mph on the 85miles trip home the computer gave me a reading of 35.6mpg (I reset it before I left in the morning).

The TT 180 may give you higher mpg with the same travelling speeds as its less power and if you get a 2wheel drive version as some of the 180s are, less drag, so higher mpg too.

Personally, if I was driving 100miles every day it would need to be a diesel - but 4grand to buy a diesel that is reliable and half decent could be a tall order. Either a Golf TDi or I have to say that the older BMW's are good value. Previous to my TT I had a 51plate BMW 525d SE with 170,000miles on it and it was bullet-proof and easily easily achievable within 4grand - but its an old mans car.

Hope this is of some use and may help you figure out a real life mpg figure...

:)

PS- DaveP, what mpg do you get from your DMS 535d? :)

• 4 months later...

I don't think you're crazy. Our 225 would average about 30-32 which is better than our current ride (an E61 530d). Both cars are used on a mixture of commuting and in-town journies and both readings were taken from the DIS rather than calculated.

Though I've not checked prices, I don't think you'll get a 2WD version for your budget as the early (UK) cars were all quattro. It wasn't until much later in its life that 2WD was introduced in our market, first with the 150TTR, and later with the introduction of the FWD 180 in late 2004 / early 2005.

I had the 1.8T 150 lump in an R plate Passat and used it for a 90 mile a day round trip.

I was pretty heavy with the right foot, generally averaging 50-60mph on a mix of urban and twisty A-roads.... but never returned less than 32mpg.

Bulletproof, too - mine was on 180k miles when I sold it.