Hiring a car in the US - California

Andrew

Off to San Francisco in two weeks and today booked up a convertible roadster thing with Hertz for 2 weeks - £321 which was a bargain I thought. However, I heard some mutterings from colleagues about these guys being a bit shark-like when it comes to insurance waivers etc so I wondered if there was anyone else who the masses would recommend I look at?

I can always cancel the reservation so thought I'd get something confirmed then ask you lot - ar5e about face but it seemed logical at the time ...

I did go though .co.uk but the reservation confirmation comes from [email protected]. Anyway, it loks like I've got the following which a colleague told me doesn't cover any damage excesses.:

Total approximate price includes:

Loss Damage Waiver

Tax and other charges

Liability Insurance Supplement

Vehicle Licensing Cost Recovery

Transaction Fee

MISCELLANEOUS LOCATION FEE

Damage excess is always an extra, just the same as on your own car insurance. Hertz is c.$900, you can buy the Super CDW for a few dollars extra per day which will reduce your excess or you can buy a policy from Car Hire Insurance | Car Rental Excess Insurance which will cover you for a whole year if you hire several times a year. When you pick up the car they will also try and sell you a fuel excess so that you return the car without a full tank and PIA. Whilst the fuel excess is OTT it can be worth while if your in a rush when you return the car or don't want to drive around trying to find a petrol station. As for PIA you will be covered on your travel insurance.

Edited by Andy_Bangle

I got suffed by Dollar when I was in Vegas many many years ago.

I can't recall what I paid in total but it was a Dodge Stealth 3500 or something very similar and about 48 hours after having the car and paying for the rental at the airport I discovered I'd paid about twice what I could have done. Proper unhappy at the time.

I have found Hertz is very competitive in the US.

For the most recent trip though I looked at Quidco and googled for USA Rental voucher codes and saved a fair packet.

There are some sites that sell damage waiver cheaper than the Super CDW offered by the Rental Agencies which can be something like $20 a day!

I think in the end I got my car from Expedia....

The problem with buying extra insurance from a third party, is that you still have to through all the rigmarole of the claim in the event there is any damage, if you take out their own insurance, you just hand the keys back, shrug your shoulders, wave the CDW in their face and walk away.

I (mis)use Hertz a lot, very good company generally. You can buy the super CDW cover (to reduce excess to zero) on collection. You can't do it online. Usually c.£20 which is peanuts considering you may well pick up the odd parking ding through no fault of your own. If you have any problems, call their 0800 number, which will get you through to a cell centre in Dublin who are always really helpful. Another tip. Register for their gold card online, it is free, and will get you an upgrade 99% of the time. That said, we 'downgraded' our 'upgrade' in Italy as we wanted a Fiat 500.

Also, as crap as yank metal is, 'when in Rome'....