Parking and the brain dead folk

Calm Chris

Car just got back (Friday) from having the rear bumper re colour coded due to dint and scrapes from people squeezing in when parking.

So with the afternoon free I set about polishing and doing the megs 1,2,3

Car looks lovely. Went in for a cuppa and then half an hour later some nice kind person has parked behind the car.

Well done you feck wit, 1st of the cnuts to mark the rear- all be it a light rubber graze that can be cut out.

What would you do ?

See pictures to explain :rolleyes:

post-5943-13791447413_thumb.jpg

post-5943-137914474133_thumb.jpg

post-5943-137914474137_thumb.jpg

post-5943-13791447414_thumb.jpg

post-5943-137914474143_thumb.jpg

Sorry, but I'd be raging. No way could I live anywhere that my car was subject to that kind of feckwit.

I'd be sat outside waiting for them to come and I'd introduce them to their new found friend, Mr Invoice, at the same time as telling them I'd passed the car registration number on to the police and a few blokes that I knew that liked tearing people limb from limb.

I would vandalise his car. Simple as.

I should clarify; I wouldn't bother marking the paintwork as I very much doubt they'd notice or be bothered. However tyres sometimes *have* to be replaced if they get damaged. Having to do 2 at the same time is bloody inconvenient as well, if you only have 1 spare.

Feel for your situation mate but I guess you're in London? If there's a space someone will park in it or attempt to even if it's too small. It happens everywhere but London is especially bad. I've had rows with people for brain dead parking including blocking access for larger vehicles like fire/ambulance etc and they look at me as if im mental. They simply dont understand what they've meant to have done wrong. Whn I moved last time I made sure I had a nice driveway, it's the only way.

This is where the French system is so good, especially on the flat as you are. Park with handbrake off so you can push your way out. Bumper scuffs? That's what bumpers are for.

By the way, given the space behind the other cars, that looks deliberate to me. Not been upsetting your neighbours have you? :P

Edited by garcon

I remember standing at the Arc de Triomphe in 1994 and watching those nutters. In about 15 minutes, maybe less, I saw 5 or 6 shunts and one resulted in a scrape down the side of a Merc that ran full length of the car. None of them got out - they all just carried on as if nothing had happened!

I also saw a Twingo (I think) get rear ended in a parking space so hard that it hit the car it was behind and the boot on it flew open. The driver of the car that hit it just got it and walked off!

How long must it have taken him playing bumper cars like that to get in?

2 things:-

1) I'd be inclined to move my car out of the way. Is it a neighbours' car?

2) 2nd thoughts, I'd leave my car there and try to watch him get out. I'd go out and stand there as he is doing it, just so he knows NOT to play bumper cars anymore.

Slashing the tyres would not be good, as he'd scuff your boot something chronic with the jack going from 1 side to the other. Slow punctures, are a PITA, but you don't know when he is going?

How the feck did the Golf get in there :eek:? Surely they must have done more than inflict a light scratch on your BM if the Focus was there at the time they parked :confused:.

On the one hand they are obviously a complete twunt with no consideration for other people's property and on the other I quite admire their parking skills!

I'd be having a word pronto and explain how the car had just been repaired and they had obviously inflicted further damage and ask them how they propose to resolve? If they have no intention of paying or at least offering to then i'd consider some of the above measures. At the end of te day you are likely to remain neighbours for a while so worth thinking about possible implications of going down the tit for tat route.

I was going to say, fair play to him, bumper scuffs or no bumper scuffs for getting in there ! Where are the skid marks from the handbrake turn ?

There are actually some awful things you can attach to your car to stop/reduce this stupidity but in this sort of situation they would probably be a good idea, plus make a prison sentence less likely...

ETA - Here you are - http://www.cmgdistributions.co.uk/, although looking at them are magnetic so maybe not as much use as had first hoped

Edited by mb
URL

Surely it's an impossibility for the Golf to have got in there if both your car and the Focus were already in those positions. I reckon he's parked up behind you and then the Focus has come along and boxed him in. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd marked your car in trying to get out of there.

Re the French thing, I lived in Paris for a while and had a German boss who was very particular about his E class. One day he looked out from his apartment to see another driver just ramming it out of the way in order to park (and he hadn't left the handbrake off). He rushed down to berate the other driver and a very well dressed 60 or so year old French woman got out, looked at him as if he was dirt, and mad pitiful dirt at that, and totally dismissively said "but it's only a car" before giving the gallic shrug and walking off. He walked back into his apartment building, realising that he'd been outclassed.

If you want pristine bumpers, don't park on the street.
It can be tricky in the big smoke, when you don't have any choice.

Spoke with the guy who owned the Golf, he admits being selfish enough to park 4" off my rear bumper but insists the space behind him was clear.

I couldn't prove otherwise.

He accepted that, he may have pushed in to our car and he accepted that parking as close as he did was wrong. Naturally the excuses for doing so were a mixed bag of being tired, in a hurry and not checking the distance once parked up.

He was apologetic, and accepted that he'd be very annoyed if someone had parked in a similar way and promised to show more consideration in the future. The rub mark on my newly painted rear bumper came off with a gentle touch of T cut, so thus ends the tail.

There's some here that suggest off street parking would be the solution, and I accept that it would be although having to buy a £650k house (with off street) is the harsh reality of that particular 'solution'.

What I don't get is the apathy some of you have shown, suggesting that parking on street means it's acceptable for others to cause damage and simply accept that as a "street parking" issue. Sorry, but I strongly disagree with that philosophy.

My attitude is simples- if the space isn't big enough, or is big enough and you don't have parking skills to park without bumper bashing- don't fecking park there.

If an available space (car length + 3 ft) exists and you can park I have no issues. Just centre up once in and check the cars front and back to make sure they have room. Simples.

I don't subscribe to the view that parking on-sreet means it is acceptable for others to damage property you work hard for (or any property for that matter).

Mind you, I'm not sure anyone else suggested it was acceptable - more a case of inevitable?

There are so many arseholes today that it will happen because they don't care. In London there are probably a higher proportion of arseholes.

Generalising...

Mind you, I'm not sure anyone else suggested it was acceptable - more a case of inevitable?

That's kinda what I meant.

To the extent that if I lived in a house with only on street parking, then I'd have a daily driver that I wouldn't lose sleep over in terms of collecting a few battle scars. The current car is ideal - big, fairly heavy, reversing camera and pretty sturdy bumpers... +++

Unfortunately, in Chri5's position (and that of many others in the bigger cities), it's prohibitively expensive to have a garage elsewhere as home for something nicer.

I have to rely on on-street parking in the UK and yes, issues all the time. People just don't give a toss.

Having said that, I wouldn't have had much problem with Chri5's Golf friend if he hadn't touched my car. Parking close is fine in my book if there is no contact and the other car can get out the other way.