Your first time online (on the internet)

NewNiceMrMe

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How on earth do any of you remember?

I haven't got a fecking clue who, what, where or when my first internet experience was, although I do recall being vaguely pleased at the accessibility to pron, shortly before I realised it wasn't worth waiting half an hour for a picture you had no idea of the quality of, until enough of it had downloaded that you could make a judgement, so I went back to good old fashioned VHS, until modems got a bit better!

When we got the first modem (think it was a 7 or 14K one) I must have been 12-13 (So 92-93) we went on with Delphi internet and it was about £19.99 a month for 4 hours internet use!!! Still all command line based hardly any thing to do (mostly bulletin boards or university's), We then moved to compuserve later when we got a 56K modem.

Do me a favour and add yourselves to this...

First Time Online

Need to gather as many global statistics as possible. Thanks very much.+++

Love to help - but you don't go back far enough in years... PM me when you fix it! :P

This might help other old timers memories: Hobbes' Internet Timeline - the definitive ARPAnet & Internet history :eek:

(I first played with fledgling ARPAnet connectivity in about 1979 - and watched the thing we call the Internet get born from the vantage point of my VMS and Ultrix/OSF1 workstations inside DEC where I played from '85 till '94)

Edited by Rachel

(I first played with fledgling ARPAnet connectivity in about 1979 - and watched the fledgling internet get born from the vantage point of my VMS and Ultrix/OSF1 workstations inside DEC)

Ah DECnet. You're making me all nostalgic :P. Before my stint at CERN I was at DEC's European Artificial Intelligence Technical Centre in Sophia Antipolis. In many ways the stuff going on there was far in advance of what Tim Berners-Lee was doing. +++

I don't remember the FIRST time I was online, but I do remember a friend of mine at the time ('96 ish) racking up a £250 monthly phone bill due to internet charges through Freeserve. He said it was playing Starcraft online, but he was also the one bringing to school fake naked pictures of Jennifer Aniston etc that would go round the class in double French :grin: