Your first time online (on the internet)

NewNiceMrMe

Right well we ain't taking to back to 1979.:roflmao:

We're going to take it back to 1984/5 because with 1,000 hosts around then it'll do - but I think it's fair to say very few people were 'online' as such.

Apart from which it really f*cks the graph axis up and the designer working on it ain't a happy bunny.:roflmao:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember the FIRST time I was online, but I do remember a friend of mine at the time ('96 ish) racking up a £250 monthly phone bill due to internet charges through Freeserve.

I did exactly the same - £640 bill arrived.:roflmao:

I claimed it all back off my employers at the time though and they then installed ISDN2 for me. Remote access and browsing at 128k seemed so fast!

Maybe the question should be "When did you first browse a website". Bulletin boards and corporate networks don't cut it in my opinion. HTTP/HTML didn't arrive until 1991 and even then you had to write your own browser to view it. Unless you ran NeXT and got TBL to send you a copy of WWW :roflmao:

I wrote a primitive browser at Uni in 1992 but it was crap, really crap +++

Edited by rottenbend

You could just limit it to when was the first time you downloaded pron on your computer? That way you know it's graphic based and 'webby' rather than plain text and you're probably in the right ball park. +++

The first computer pron I saw was text-based in that it was a picture made up of text characters which when you printed it out on a line printer and squinted at it from a distance looked a little bit like a woman with no clothes on. :roflmao:

I remember seeing the very same hour glass silhouette after printing it out on one of these.

800px-Epson_MX-80.jpg

And i first browsed the net back in 1997 when i went to Uni. Remember struggling with giddiness of finally being online and my mind went blank as to what to search for!

Ended up looking for supercar pictures and found my first car forum SUPERCARS.NET - Comprehensive Specifications, Galleries & Forums since 1996 which is full of prepubescent American school boys now but then it was very good!

Edited by fizzbitt

I've posted this on my FB page as well for you. Not that i have that many 'friends' but any help is appreciated im sure. :P

Absolutely. People should feel free (and encouraged!) to post the link out to as many people as possible! The help is appreciated.+++

Facebook, Twitter RT's, blogs, forums, family, friends, colleagues, pets, strangers you might want to acost in the street, etc.

Absolutely. People should feel free (and encouraged!) to post the link out to as many people as possible! The help is appreciated.+++

Facebook, Twitter RT's, blogs, forums, family, friends, colleagues, pets, strangers you might want to acost in the street, etc.

OK, what's the link I should use so that you can keep track and send me a cheque for the correct amount? :P

OK, what's the link I should use so that you can keep track and send me a cheque for the correct amount? :P

You do it for the sense of personal achievement and satisfaction.:grin:

Think of it as repaying me for all good sound advice about how crap your football team is. I've probably saved you a fortune by making sure you don't waste your time going to watch them.:grin:

Ok thats weird I just went and looked at the page and theres the name of one of the guys who I work with and is sitting not 10 feet away from me. How do I ask casually if he's surfing whilst working? :roflmao:

...not to mention the fact that we're offering a public service for the enforcement of corporate Acceptable Use Policies.:roflmao:

Right well after much debate we've taken it back to 1989.

Very few people were truly online before then and it fecks the graphs up to accomodate a tiny minority. Not to mention Australians.:roflmao:

OK. :P

Added something, not sure if it actually submitted though... :finger:

For those of you old enough to remember - some of the first multimedia content you could watch in a Mosaic browser was from a nut case at Purdue University by the name of George Goble. Brilliant BBQ connoisseur:

Edited by Rachel