2.0 TDI 140 vs 170, differences help please

AZURES3

I have ordered the wife the new VW Tiguan and gone for the 170 bhp TDI. Some people suggest the only difference over the 140 is a remap as both now have DPF. I didnt find the 140 BHP demo model very nippy in a car of this weight but you pay £600 more for the 170 and lose bluemotion, battery recuperation, start/stop and grear change adviser.

Not bother about the loss of features or the £600 really and hope resale will be ok as VW dont offer it with the Blluemotion features like the Audi Q3.

The 170 car weighs 40kg more so surely it not just a remap !

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was Ben who told me that was exactly the case with the BMW's, and it really was just the map that was different.

I don't think that's the case with the VW though, I'm fairly sure that the turbo is different on the 170, among a few other things, either way, I'm sure Ben can map out any power band issues along with a healthy increase in power.

The VW brochure lists the engine desing between 140 and 170 as exactly the same now with both have DPF and 1800 bar 8 hole piezo injectors, somethin unique to the 170 previously. So the VW forum thread saying its a remap makes sense. Some people say go for he 140 and get it mapped but for only £600 more at order why spend £400 to remap and stuff warranty.

Still don't get why the 170 is listed as weighing more by 40 kg, unless its a misprint but seem the 170 wighs a littlw more on some other models too. Very odd.

I was talking to Ben about this very issue when I saw him today.

The older 140 and 170 lumps are different, different turbos, injectors and maps.

The new ones use the same lump, but different turbos again, plus the 170 has different injectors and map

I don't get the weight difference, unless the 140 is 2WD only and the 170 is shown in the brochure as the 4WD? 70kg difference would make sense then +++

I was talking to Ben about this very issue when I saw him today.

The older 140 and 170 lumps are different, different turbos, injectors and maps.

The new ones use the same lump, but different turbos again, plus the 170 has different injectors and map

I don't get the weight difference, unless the 140 is 2WD only and the 170 is shown in the brochure as the 4WD? 70kg difference would make sense then +++

Definetly comparing the 4WD version in 140 and 170 format and both without DSG. Must be a misprint?

A guy on the VW forum is convinced the engines are now exactly the same and just the remap is different on the latest engines. Very confusing hope the 170 is as smooth as the 140. Reviews of the Scirocco and Passat seem to say its a great engine.

A yes - "the guy on the forum".

You'd guess that someone in the industry would have the right info, rather than some bloke on the interwebs +++

I would agree normally but the guy on the other forum said his mate is a VW tech and the 140 bhp engine now has the same internals and injectors as the 170 and just the map is different. The detailed description of the engine i the Tigua brochure has the same 8 lines of text for both

The detailed description of the engine i the Tigua brochure has the same 8 lines of text for both

8 lines? Not much to say about an engine.

ETKA will show the differences in the part numbers. But to many customers it will make no difference on the purchase.

The 170 might have heavier counterbalance weights and a heavier flywheel and bigger/stronger turbo?

Have you looked at gear ratios for the two, that would be my main concern, I know the dealer at Seat when I was looking at Altea XLs said that one of them had much longer gearing so sat at 80mph was 55mpg for one and around 40mpg for the other, although can't think which way round it was now.

But something to consider.

Have you looked at gear ratios for the two, that would be my main concern, I know the dealer at Seat when I was looking at Altea XLs said that one of them had much longer gearing so sat at 80mph was 55mpg for one and around 40mpg for the other, although can't think which way round it was now.

But something to consider.

Good point!

For me, I like a very high top cruising gear due to the amount of high motorway miles I do. Couldn't be doing with the high revs of some engines at speed.

• 1 month later...

Hello people.......yes im back.Apologies first and fore most wrapped my car very well indeed not the vinyl type either!!!!!!! Yes wrote ther car off good and proper, the trials and tribulations of dealing with MONKEY insurance companies.....YES LV(liverpool victoria) Have since moved twice since my last post as well.

What is it you wanted to know about the 140 and 170's is that CRD or PD engine?

• 1 year later...

It's an old thread but sure might be worth posting the definitive facts on this. So many different models and engine codes that have differences but we'll use the CFFB (140) and the CFGB (170 engine)

Both engines ARE indenticle, block, pistons conrods and injectors( 03L 130 277 J) . The turbo indeed is different. Has a different part number for a start. I put a 170 turbo on my 140 and had them side by side beforehand. At first glance they look similiar in size but the compressor housing is thicker and has better airflow, probably has a bigger compressor wheel. Also the the turbo plastic outlet pipe is different too.

The only other differences are is the water pump has a different part number and the clutch and flywheel is different. The main engine is the same.. Cooling system and intercooler system are also the same...

I have confirmed this by comparing my CFFB to my mates CFGB and with the help of ETKA ;-)

Edited by Micky 32