Motorway speed limit to be increased!!

Booster

To be honest I don't think it will make any difference. When was the last time anyone got done for doing 80 on a motorway?

I just wish they could do something about tailgating. every other day there is a bump on the motorway to work causing major tailbacks. Always at the same bits on the motorway. The majority of the people drive the same road every day, you would think they would learn :-)

Most of the motoways up here ar 2 lanes and all it needs is a slow truck going up a hill and we effectively lose one lane :-(

About time, but they havent gone far enough

The 70 limit was temporarily introdued in 1965 and confirmed as permanent, by a non driving minister of transport in 1967 when the average family car could barely reach 70.

Cars have moved on since then. We have to put up with medling euro laws heavily driven by Germany on wether we can buy milk by the pint, how bent our bananas can be, yet we dont get the derestricted german autobahns

Just as everyone starts driving slower to save fuel, improve mpg etc they increase the speed limit!

Average speeds may decrease, in fact. If this is combined with actual enforcement of the new limit, then driving at 85 is going to be a bit silly. So everyone who currently cruises at 81-87 (say) is going to drop to 80. Which will then make it correspondingly harder to maintain 95-100. (Or so I suspect, officer...:grin:)

At the moment,most speed limits are ignored because they're perceived as too low. Raise them,and the increasing compliance might slow people down. If that improved safety, then that would be both a good thing in itself and also a simply wonderful thing to stuff up Brake's nose at every opportunity. :finger:

All they'd be doing is bringing us into line with most of Europe.

I don't believe people currently drive at 80 just because they like being a bit naughty, people drive at the speed they feel comfortable at, and don't believe for one second that an 80 limit will suddenly see everyone driving at 90, it'll just decriminalise you're average road user.