The Caterham Build

patently

Looking good - how long do you think the build will take?

Hmm, well it looks like I'm missing the fastener pack for the gearbox, so I can't progress onto the engine install.

Can't do the rear either, as the diff is late arriving and that has to go in first.

So I've started on the interior, and fittted the roll cage. To finalise that, I need to fit some interior trim, including the "knee trim panels" which... I can't find, suspect are missing.

Estimated finish time at the moment is therefore December, no promises which year :ffs:

Hmm, well it looks like I'm missing the fastener pack for the gearbox, so I can't progress onto the engine install.

Can't do the rear either, as the diff is late arriving and that has to go in first.

So I've started on the interior, and fittted the roll cage. To finalise that, I need to fit some interior trim, including the "knee trim panels" which... I can't find, suspect are missing.

James May would have checked off all the parts against the packing list before starting :P

James May would have checked off all the parts against the packing list before starting :P

And the Stig would have been knocking on the door before they'd even started! There are a simply huge number of parts, and they vary from car to car with the spec. I was planning to do this, but quickly realised it wasn't feasible. It's literally quicker to crack on and see what's not there.

Anyway, I need to have a scream now. As mentioned above, I fitted the roll cage:

post-6686-137914475193_thumb.jpg

which was hard, as it's heavy & bulky and keeps scratching bits while you wiggle it in. I did that because I was going to do the harnesses, but the manual said I had to do the boot cover first, and that had to be done after the roll cage.

So now I'm doing the harnesses and the boot cover. Guess what - the top harness bolts have to go on before the roll cage! There isn't enough clearance beneath the roll cage diagonal tube to fit the outer top harness bolts.

Off it comes....

Bugger.

Just found the fixings pack whose absence was stopping me making progress with the engine.

It was, obviously, in a small box attached to the engine and labelled "Starter motor". Duh - where else would Fastener pack 36G006A "Engine & Gearbox" be?? :ffs: :ffs: :ffs: The starter motor, naturally, is already attached to the engine.

So I could have spent yesterday & today on the engine after all!

Oh well. :rolleyes:

Has the phrase "Caterham widow" come up yet ? ;)

:uhoh: Not as such…

Anyway, last update for today. The gearbox & bellhousing assembly is complete (with Little Miss P's help) and is sitting down almost level, waiting to be bolted onto the engine.

I've lifted the engine with the hoist, and the most obvious lesson from that is that the towrope I was planning to use is way too long, the hoist arm is way up in the air and the engine is inches off the ground. I'll have to go shopping tomorrow.

Nevertheless, I've manoeuvred the engine so that it is now next to the gearbox, waiting to be lined up and matched.

His ladders are very shiny. Wonder if he uses Megs NXT on those.

No, I'm just scared of heights. In 10 years they've seen action precisely twice. :grin:

Anyway, quick update. A business meeting this morning means I haven't done much. However, the gearbox and bellhousing are now attached to the engine and the assembly is ready to be lowered into the car.

Before:

post-6686-13791447521_thumb.jpg

After:

post-6686-137914475215_thumb.jpg

Some fun was had here. The starter motor is held on with three bolts, all of which are meant to be torqued. The two on the outside are no problem, but the on on the inside is a little, err, inaccessible? I could just get a tiny 1/4" drive with a step-up adaptor and a hex key into the space behind it and tighten it one click at a time. I've asked Caterham how I'm meant to torque it...

Here it is:

post-6686-137914475219_thumb.jpg

I've also done a dry run through the engine install to make sure I understand, and have a few more minor queries before I go ahead with that. Hopefully they'll respond quickly. I'm quite optimistic that they will, in fact, because the shortages guy replied to my email to him last night first thing this morning. He's confirmed that my diff arrived at Caterham late on Friday, and will be sent out to me today together with the knee trims that are also missing. They should both arrive tomorrow! :D