[Audi A3/S3] Helped needed 2001 S3 AC stopped working

SteveZ1

Hi Gang,

I am need of some help, and I am without a lot of options. I am reaching out for help details to follow.

First, my car a 2001 Audi S3 was never sold in the US. For that matter no 8L chassis ever was :( Because of this user support is extremely difficult. My AC has stopped working, for a while it would work and then stop working (as in blowing cold air). This made me think I was low on R124 so I has the system charged up at a friend’s independent garage, no luck.

So today I dropped it off at my authorized Audi dealership. In the past they could get info they needed on the car from ELSAWIN. No such luck now. I actually got a call from the dealer asking if I could help get them the AC and fan wiring diagrams. Yikes, when the dealer calls you for help, you know you are not in good shape.

So my request for help is the following. The diagnostics only showed a fault code in the dash temp control, what we would call the climate control panel, part number 8L0820043K.

Has anyone had experience that might help diagnosis what might be at fault? Can anyone help source the AC and Fan wiring diagrams? Any leads on the 8L0820043K part? There is a used one listed on eBay but I am wondering what a new one goes for?

I know there are a lot of questions here, and I have not provided a lot of into. The system did not just stop working. It would work for a while and then the compressor would cut out. This happened over several months, until last week the compressor would not kick in under any circumstances.

Any and all help are truly appreciated.

Thank you all,

Steve

[email protected]

Edited by SteveZ1

The only time my AC ever failed was after an AC service and regas. A pressure switch failed, but i am convinced the over filled it.

There are some manuals online. ( * They are not mine, and its not my website! )

Homepage - Ewan MacNee navigate to downloads and you will find electrical, ineterior and maintenance manuals.

While the 8L S3 was never released in the US, the MK1 225 TT was, and its worth noting they are almost identical. Early S3's were detuned to 210bhp to keep the TT top dog, but later they released the 225 S3. The S3 is basically a TT in a hatchback body, with better Recaro seats.

That will get you started. ( I havent read them!) But i hope there may be something useful in there.

I also have some other info I can send you, that might be useful for a S3 owner in the US, ( about 35MB worth) so i will have to spend some time splitting it up intio chunks and zipping it later tonight

Welcome to Tyresmoke.

HI Paul

Thank you very much for the response and info.

Its really a mystery as to what is going on, and getting the info to help the dealership is going to be very helpul.

I looked at the link you sent and there is a ton of good info there. None AC related , but very helpful for other future repairs.

I truly look forward to the additional info you have, as we are operating near blind here :-(

As close as the TT is to the S3 in this case, its not close enough so far.

Thank you again, I truly appreciate the help.

Steve

The only time my AC ever failed was after an AC service and regas. A pressure switch failed, but i am convinced the over filled it.

There are some manuals online. ( * They are not mine, and its not my website! )

Homepage - Ewan MacNee navigate to downloads and you will find electrical, ineterior and maintenance manuals.

While the 8L S3 was never released in the US, the MK1 225 TT was, and its worth noting they are almost identical. Early S3's were detuned to 210bhp to keep the TT top dog, but later they released the 225 S3. The S3 is basically a TT in a hatchback body, with better Recaro seats.

That will get you started. ( I havent read them!) But i hope there may be something useful in there.

I also have some other info I can send you, that might be useful for a S3 owner in the US, ( about 35MB worth) so i will have to spend some time splitting it up intio chunks and zipping it later tonight

Welcome to Tyresmoke.

HI Paul,

Thank you thank you thank you for the files. I truly appreciate your time and kindness.

This data will prove quite valuable if not immediately than for sure in the future.

I'll have to check my vagcom again once I take the car back, I'll check the codes and post them.

Thanks again!!

Steve

Documents sent Steve, expect 6 emails.

Unfortunately, it looks like everything but AC related, but hopefully they will help with any future issues.

Do any fault codes come up with VCDS? www.ross-tech.com

HI Paul,

Here is what we were able to pull, but first the really bad news. The dealer actually gave me the car back. Can you believe!

Here I am driving an Audi, and the dealership says Audi will not provide them with the info to fix the car, how sad!

Here is what vag-com says:

00785 - Temp Sensor in Instrument Panel (G56)

30-00 Open or Short to Plus

From the Audi Delaers VAS-PC it says

00785 030

Temperature sensor - instrument panel - G56

Open circuit/short circuit to B+

Intermittent

Any suggestions or ideas

Thanks!!

Steve

Documents sent Steve, expect 6 emails.

Unfortunately, it looks like everything but AC related, but hopefully they will help with any future issues.

Do any fault codes come up with VCDS? www.ross-tech.com

It does look likely to be the sensor in the climate panel itself. On my facelift S3 (one of the last few made at end of production in 2003) there is a small grill/ vent above the climate display/auto button, having only had facelift S3's I'm not sure if yours is different.

I can only suggest trawling google web and images, there are quite a few results for that sensor on different Audi's.

Hi Paul

Sorry for the delay in getting back.

I am at a total loss.

I actually had a total of 3 climate control modules and replaced the one in the car with all 3 spares and none solved the problem :(

This really is something that is driving me crazy.

No dealer support and no real independent shop options.

With no AC wiring diagrams there is no real way to chase down the problem and to make matters more complicated, the dealers here cannot get parts for the car. I used to get my parts through vagparts in the UK but they are long gone, so no other options unless you know of a good Audi shop there willing to ship to the US.

All very frustrating.

Thanks again for all your help though!

Hope you had a nice weekend.

Steve

It does look likely to be the sensor in the climate panel itself. On my facelift S3 (one of the last few made at end of production in 2003) there is a small grill/ vent above the climate display/auto button, having only had facelift S3's I'm not sure if yours is different.

I can only suggest trawling google web and images, there are quite a few results for that sensor on different Audi's.

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

Its been a while but I thought I would post the solution to my problem, in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Turns out there is a control / relay module on the fuse box that is on the battery that controls the auxillary cooling fan, that went bad. If the cooling fan does not engage, neither will the AC compressor.

Hope this helps.

Steve