Blackberry problems

Tipex

I find interesting that no one has mentioned the ongoing issues Blackberry are experiencing, it kinda reinforces my suspicions about Blackberry users in general.

I don't think anyone in business buys a Blackberry any more, I think they are given them, and it seems the core of Blackberry users has changed hugely from the business user, to the average teenage (or acts like a teenager) chav.

I think it's because Blackberry phones are available cheaply, and they have BBM, so the chavs can chat all day for free, all I seem to see from the chav contingent on Facebook et-al is people telling each other to BBM them, and sending their pins.

What's everyone elses thoughts?

I have one through work and the server seems to be down in the US today as well.

all I seem to see from the chav contingent on Facebook et-al is people telling each other to BBM them, and sending their pins

Fortunately I don't have any chav contacts on FB (except MrMe) so it isn't a problem for me. :P

Most of our bods here have Blackberry's. They seem to be OK as we are through Schmodafone and our own BES, so emails are getting through OK.

Our eldest daughter had one, and bought it with her own money in Jan. Sold it in July and got a Samsung instead.

Good to see their back-up plans and servers were thoroughly tested in various DR scenarios......

Wouldn't like to be an IT bod at RIM..... heads will roll! Rules and procedures will kill them so they won't be able to fart in the Server rooms without getting it signed off by management, management dogs and some VP somewhere.

Would not know about chavs talkig on Facebook as I instructed that Facebook (and Youtube) be banned from company Internet usage.

Nice and progressive IT policy you have there +++

YouTube is simply brilliant for training purposes. Facebook & Twitter have other applications other than chatting over a watercooler. And hey, you can't stop people chatting over a watercooler.

Going to war on your users is outdated IMO. I would not work in such an environment.

One interesting thing we did at a presentation a few years ago was poll companies about their IT policy and their staff retention. Companies with strict IT policy banning social type stuff had a far higher staff attrition rate than those that didn't - and most of the ones with high attrition rates also struggled to attract graduates.

I think the affected corporate users both realise it is a problem & being worked on & understand for many it is not the end of the world + can update via wireless access point so can be managed around fairly well. However a quick look at vodafone forum reveals they are certainly selling a lot of BBs to chavs who are all demanding their money back & compensation as they can't BBM their mates for a few days

My Blackberry has been buggering about for the last couple of days. I don't know if BBM has been working as I don't use it but email has been very iffy for both my BES and BIS accounts.

Incoming email on BIS has been mostly working today but incoming email on BES has been very sporadic - I had a bunch of emails arrive about 11am then another bunch at about 4pm with nothing in between. Outbound email on both is fecked - emails have a tick to say they've been sent but if I check back an hour or so later they'll be showing a red cross.

Yesterday it didn't bother me at all as I was working from home but I've been out and about today so it's been an annoyance. It hasn't been the world ending disaster that some people seem to deem it.

There is a similar discussion ongoing at my place, we've got 300 or so Blackberries in use over Europe and we're asked the question about switching away from them. Personally I don't want to do it yet but if these problems continue then I may not have much choice.

They've had their execs going off it for 2 days and my contact told me it'd caused them major problems (global organisation) and they felt they had no choice. It makes you realise how vital mail/voice is on the move in some positions and that downtime simply isn't an option - or at least not for any prolonged period of time.

He said that if it had stopped yesterday they might have got away with it, but that today was just too much and they've lost confidence completely.

Do they really have much of a future anyway?

They aren't innovating, they aren't producing products people drool over, they are selling £20 phones to chavs, who all use BBM for free, on PAYG contracts, so no one is really earning anything out of them.

Do they really have much of a future anyway?

They aren't innovating, they aren't producing products people drool over, they are selling £20 phones to chavs, who all use BBM for free, on PAYG contracts, so no one is really earning anything out of them.

As Burble says though, they're very big in the world of corporates. Have been for a very long time and still hold a large share of it.

As Burble says though, they're very big in the world of corporates. Have been for a very long time and still hold a large share of it.

They were big in the corporate world, a few years ago, but I'm not so sure they are any more, they are still fairly big, but I'm sure their market share must be dropping every week, not even due to this current incident.

Who on here would buy a Blackberry? I know I wouldn't, and they don't do anything that can't be done on an iPhone or Android phone, other than annoy the salesman it's been given too, simply because it's not an iphone.

What are they doing to ensure there future market share, and keep the corporates they've relied on until now? I don't see any must have phones on the market from them, or people speculating over what they are doing next, I see them going the way of Nokia.