BRAND NEW model Audi RS4 and it's brand, oh, no, sorry, hang on...

Mook

I'm a big fan of the original RS4 Avant and the later B7 model, again in Avant form (or estate to you and me).

It seemed to kick BMW and Mercedes into upping their game when it came to engines and the current M3 is one of the best V8s I've driven.

So it'll be some really happy news for a load of previous RS4 owners on here that they're back with a new one.

Not that any prospective owners should be worried about how stiff the car is, as this photo of it entering the mini-Karussell shows

44837d1318418897-2012-rs4-avant-audirs4avant06.jpg

44836d1318418894-2012-rs4-avant-audirs4avant03.jpg

Pics courtesy of New Stig's article here

But here's the quote that gets me:

There's no change planned for the RS4's engine ; it'll take a carbon copy of the RS5's 4.2-litre V8, naturally aspirated to produce 444bhp and 325lb ft

WTF?! :o

So Audi have yet again done what they do so well - have a look at the remaps for their cars and then apply that to their own.

Queue comments about shonky ride quality and not being able to tell whether it's an A4 or A6 estate, sorry, "Avant".

With BMW launching the new M5 with a new 560bhp twin turbo V8, I'm afraid that Audi's falling so far behind the rest that it's just becoming an also ran.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know someone who has seen the new M5 in the flesh. For more than just a fleeting moment too, for a good 30-45 minutes. They weren't allowed to take pictures but they're not a BMW fan normally and said it was absolutely stunning.

M5's have never quite appealled to me but from what he said, it is going to be something very special indeed.

I know someone who has seen the new M5 in the flesh. For more than just a fleeting moment too, for a good 30-45 minutes. They weren't allowed to take pictures but they're not a BMW fan normally and said it was absolutely stunning.

M5's have never quite appealled to me but from what he said, it is going to be something very special indeed.

I sat in it and poked at it at Silverstone last month - absolutely epic car, excatly what that type of car should be +++

63728f5b.jpg

ec4ab19b.jpg

Think the new M3 is supposed to be a twin turbo 6-cyl too isn't it, which probably isn't too far away.

The RS' up to the B7 RS4 were lovely but I think they have diluted the RS brand too much now with things that are just not special enough - to look at or (from press reports), to drive.

Hang on a moment, at first glance, this is a V8 with 444bhp in the newer, lighter B8 platform. It'll go like the clappers if its true! So its not all bad.

I am surprised about the engine, VW have developed the 4.0 FSI Turbo for the new S6 and Bentley Continental, and presumably different tuned versions of this will find their way into the RS6 when it comes and a few other company owned varients (A8, R8 etc). I certainly dont think Audi are falling behind the curve.

The S4 with the 3.0 supercharged engine is great, but not aimed at competing with the M3 anymore.

However, surely the sensible thing to do would be to slot that 4.0 twin turbo V8 into the RS4? what are they scared of?

I could possibly be in the market for the new RS4 depending on when it hits - I mean the new M3 is looking to be 2013 ish isn't it from what I've read?

Interesting staying with the V8 though - must admit a slight feel of disappointment knowing the new M3 is going to be a FI '6. Saying that, when I had an RS4 I was disappointed they'd moved a to a NA V8 in the new one! Ye gods, I don't know what I want.

I didn't find anything 'wrong' with the RS5' ride - or the car. I just didn't find it very exciting and it didn't feel very special, whereas the M3 is absolute hoot to drive. Here's the thing though, I bet I could drive the RS5 faster without ending up in a field :)

That's the whole thing and it comes up time and time again in the Audi V BMW forum discussions.

The BMW will be more exciting and more of a hoon coz it's RWD. Audi have pushed the power backwards but with quattro and the clever diff etc it's always gonna be the car flattering the driver. It comes down to whether you want more fun or getting from A to B quicker and safer .... and dare I say in all weather conditions.

I don't personally think quattro is what makes Audi feel less composed then BMW. Sure with rear wheel drive you can be a bit mad and have some tail out action, but it is the feedback from the steering that the Audi seems to lack, where the BMW feels properly connected and ready to go wherever you point it, in the Audi the steering just feels loose and unconnected, the chassis feel unbalanced when compared with the BMW and it makes for poor handling. It would be intresting to drive an Xdrive BMW to see if the four wheel drive really does ruin them, I doubt it though, BMW know how to make a perfect handling car, Audi should find out how they do it!

Interesting staying with the V8 though - must admit a slight feel of disappointment knowing the new M3 is going to be a FI '6. Saying that, when I had an RS4 I was disappointed they'd moved a to a NA V8 in the new one! Ye gods, I don't know what I want.

OK, so you're going to a FI 6 with the new M3, but why did you buy the current M3 over the RS5? Driver involvement I'm guessing.

Sorry, but I don't know how Audi are going to change the dynamics of the RS4 over the RS5 to make it more of a driver's experience along the lines of the M3, current or new.

I'm a big fan of the original RS4 Avant and the later B7 model, again in Avant form (or estate to you and me).

It seemed to kick BMW and Mercedes into upping their game when it came to engines and the current M3 is one of the best V8s I've driven.

So it'll be some really happy news for a load of previous RS4 owners on here that they're back with a new one.

Not that any prospective owners should be worried about how stiff the car is, as this photo of it entering the mini-Karussell shows

44837d1318418897-2012-rs4-avant-audirs4avant06.jpg

44836d1318418894-2012-rs4-avant-audirs4avant03.jpg

Pics courtesy of New Stig's article here

But here's the quote that gets me:

WTF?! :o

So Audi have yet again done what they do so well - have a look at the remaps for their cars and then apply that to their own.

Queue comments about shonky ride quality and not being able to tell whether it's an A4 or A6 estate, sorry, "Avant".

With BMW launching the new M5 with a new 560bhp twin turbo V8, I'm afraid that Audi's falling so far behind the rest that it's just becoming an also ran.

Always has been sorry.

Totally and utterly agree. The B5 had that for me at the time, the B6/7 RS4 felt 'diluted' even though I gather it was/is probably a superior car.

The M3 I have now has the exciting buzz I had from the RS4. I like that. It's interesting that outright pace is not as interesting as it was - when I bought the B5 for example if I could have bought another worse-handling car that did a faster sprint....well I probably would have!

I agree with you Mac, the B5 RS 4 was and still is special in my eyes. I saw one a few weeks back and It looked fab. A 2.7 V6 biturbo with 380 BHP from factory would still be decent if released in 2011 nevermind 2000. I like the B7, but it ain't as cool as the B5 IMO.

8e3c617b.jpg

Edited by SINGH

• 2 weeks later...

Hold everything!

Just had a talk whilst picking up the new A6 about the RS4.

According to the dealer, they have just been told that it's going to be a V8 sequential turbo and definitely not the RS5 engine, for lots of reasons but emissions is high on the list. Apparently it'll be low enough to be £200 a year tax.

He quoted a figure of 440bhp and is off to Germany in Jan to see it.

He also said something about the facelift RS5 and that potentially having the new engine too.....

Also he mentioned that it initially would only come as an avant too....

Hold everything!

Just had a talk whilst picking up the new A6 about the RS4.

According to the dealer, they have just been told that it's going to be a V8 sequential turbo and definitely not the RS5 engine, for lots of reasons but emissions is high on the list. Apparently it'll be low enough to be £200 a year tax.

He quoted a figure of 440bhp and is off to Germany in Jan to see it.

He also said something about the facelift RS5 and that potentially having the new engine too.....

Also he mentioned that it initially would only come as an avant too....

I'll belive that load of tripe when I see it in the flesh.