BRAND NEW model Audi RS4 and it's brand, oh, no, sorry, hang on...

Mook

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hold everything!

Just had a talk whilst picking up the new A6 about the RS4.

According to the dealer, they have just been told that it's going to be a V8 sequential turbo and definitely not the RS5 engine, for lots of reasons but emissions is high on the list. Apparently it'll be low enough to be £200 a year tax.

He quoted a figure of 440bhp and is off to Germany in Jan to see it.

He also said something about the facelift RS5 and that potentially having the new engine too.....

Also he mentioned that it initially would only come as an avant too....

That'll be the same lump as is going in the new S8 then - bi-turbo V8.

• 1 month later...

Rumours in French press here and some on line that the RS4 won't happen and that the car seen doing the rounds on the 'Ring was actually a more powerful S4 ready for launch with the facelifted B8 in March / April.

Apparently the RS6 is the next RS model from quattro GmbH.....

I thought the facelift version of the B8 is out in march?

I like the S4 Avant a lot. At under £40k and given the price of the 'special editions' Audi are doing on the A4, it is a bargain....

Edit: looks like you are right, the website shows facelifted cars now.

Edited by DanG

I thought the facelift version of the B8 is out in march?

I like the S4 Avant a lot. At under £40k and given the price of the 'special editions' Audi are doing on the A4, it is a bargain....

Edit: looks like you are right, the website shows facelifted cars now.

I was tempted but decided I didn't need the performance and actually spent more than a base S4 on putting on options that I'd use on my A4.

What did surprise me was that the 3.0TDI was only £800 cheaper than an S4. The thing with the S4 is that you're not getting a lot more in the way of options over an A4. So you could have a "poverty spec" S4 but that only works if you're simply after performance otherwise the S4 can add up to a tidy some once spec'ed nicely.

I was tempted but decided I didn't need the performance and actually spent more than a base S4 on putting on options that I'd use on my A4.

What did surprise me was that the 3.0TDI was only £800 cheaper than an S4. The thing with the S4 is that you're not getting a lot more in the way of options over an A4. So you could have a "poverty spec" S4 but that only works if you're simply after performance otherwise the S4 can add up to a tidy some once spec'ed nicely.

I had a little play with the configuration after seeing your post to see what you get, and have to agree. Gone are the days where the S4 etc came with all the toys, and you do really get a stripped out version. But, as you say, it's a choice between power and comfort.

Personally I am happy for the time being with my 2.0Tquattro, it's quick enough, and has sat Nav, MMI, juke box thingy, tints, parking assist, leather, cup holders and an iPhone connector. Adding that to the S4 puts it into slightly used Carrera 4S territory..... Plus I am doing 15k miles a year, so will keep mine for a while. Well, until 997 turbos come down a little more.....+++

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this up, yet again, but I am genuinely interested in a new RS4, if it does happen.

Had an Oil service today, all fine, and spoke to a sales guy and asked about the new RS4.

He said what the previous guy had said, that's its definitely a V8 twin turbo, 4.0 litre, making 440bhp, Avant only to start with, to be launched in March at Geneva. That's two different dealers that have said that now. I really hope that's the case, it'll be a superb engine with the potential to tune it to some really powerful levels.

I would be VERY interested indeed....

He also mentioned that the new RS5 will be a n/a V8 with 450bhp.