Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cruiser647

Anti dazzle mirror

15 posts in this topic

No that it's silly season with lights on, many badly fitted and dazzling me, so I was wondering if I can buy an anti-dazzle rear view and retrofit one to my C5 A6?

Are the connections ready?

Thanks in advance.

The VW Beetle had anti dazzle mirrors after one of the refreshes. They were a fairly easy retro fit as you could take a feed out of the wiring in the head lining, so I'm sure if the connections arent in place its only a matter of finding out what it needs - switched 12v maybe?

I think it maybe cheaper to tint your rear windows than buy the auto dimming mirror, unless of course you have sourced one.

A couple of linky's plus there is a guide on t'net but i can't find it at the mo.

http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/car-electronics-satnav-i-c-e-multimedia/58176-auto-dimming-rear-view-mirror-retrofit.html

http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/audi-technical/82494-retrofit-auto-dimming-rear-view-mirror.html

Edited by Andy_Bangle

I think the mirror will be the easy bit & the wiring should be fairly straightforward to pick up feeds from the courtesy light, but you will probably need to change the windscreen as the autodim sensor is on the windscreen (has a gap in the black part of the screen at the top) so this is best achieved when the windscreen is being replaced anyway due to stonechip (just say is autodim version needed - is also very easy to route wires while the screen is out), although a few have been pleasantly surprised how cheap a new screen was from Audi so whatever you do don't pay Autoglass to fit one !

The sensor on an auto dipping mirror, can't be on the windscreen, it has to be on the mirror side of the actual mirror, otherwise it can't see the headlights that are dazzling you from behind.

The sensor in the windscreen will be either auto lights or wipers, or an ambient light sensor, not the anti dazzle.

Good point, the sensor is near the mirror glass, which must make this install a lot more practical, although I am not sure if uses the front to detect night time. I did have a Golf with dimming mirror & rain sensor but no autolights so can't be 100% sure but sensor for headlights is definitely at the back !

Retrofit kit here - no windscreen needed...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTO-DIM-DIMMING-REAR-VIEW-MIRROR-VW-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-/230343226775

Edited by mb

Shame about the English in the ad. :roflmao:

Thanks so far peeps!

I'll have a look on ELSAWin to see how VAG replace them.

You can retrofit the VAG one very easily. you need +12V, GRND, and a link to reverse lights so it turns off when you reverse. You can buy a VAG part with just the rear facing sensor, or one with the rear facing and front facing ones. If you get the front facing one for rain and auto lights you need a new windscreen. It doesn't need to know it's night, as you don't get dazzled by headlights behind you in the day.

Is the C5 A6 the 98-2004 one? My B6 A4 is loosely based around that car and I changed to an auto dimming mirror (wing mirrors/auto&coming home lights) a few months back - it fitted on my standard mirror mount. The standard auto dim mirror has the sensor facing the back window. The other type has an on/off button and green light to let you know it's on. It has 2 sensors on the front - one off centre and one that, when fitted to the car, touches (but isn't bonded to) the windscreen. I can only assume that these are for the coming home lights & auto headlights etc. There is no OEM rain sensor solution for the B6, hence why one mount fits all mirrors. I expect you can fit a B7 mirror with rain sensor to the B6, but that definitely needs a new windscreen.

Is the C5 A6 the 98-2004 one? My B6 A4 is loosely based around that car.

The A4 and A6 are completely different platforms.

My point was that they look similar and share several parts.

My point was that they look similar and share several parts.

You can say that about all Audis. Family styling is what creates a brand identity, so looking similar is something that you can say of the vast majority of cars from any manufacturer.

The A3 and A4 share lots of parts "behind the scenes" as do the A4 and A6, and A6 and A8, and Q3 and Q5, and Q5 and Q7... And Audis share lots of parts with VWs and Skodas and Seats - VAG are masters at platform and part sharing (some of the electronic modules in my wifes Skoda Fabia are the same as in my RS4).

Fully aware of that. Anyway, back to the point of the thread - can Cruiser fit an anti dazzle rear view mirror easily?

Fully aware of that. Anyway, back to the point of the thread - can Cruiser fit an anti dazzle rear view mirror easily?

yes as above!