Anyone know about spark plugs and engines?

DanG

I have an issue with a second monkey bike I bought in that it won't run, although it did for about 10 seconds.

I have compression and new fuel....

Spark is the issue.

The plug is newish, and here lies the issue I think. I have taken it out and kicked the engine over without it touching and no spark.

Touching the metal ring / thread to the case, no spark.

Holding the plug 2mm off the case there is a strong spark between case and ring AND also a spark across the plug gap as there should be.

I am guessing this is the issue, and that possibly the plug is earthing before spark gets to the gap.

Can this happen? Any ideas? Bit baffled at the moment.

Cheers

The sparkplug needs to be touching the side of the engine so the circuit is competed (as it would be if screwed into the head) & then when you kick it over you should get a spark.

Have you checked the gap is correct (although if new should be about correct) & if used what is the condition/colour of the plug - for a 2 stroke should be about the colour of a digestive biscuit ?

Try twisting the ht cap a half turn- cheaper machines have a ht cap that is simply screwed on to the ht lead and is a common break point.

Also dip the plug in petrol and clean with a fine wire brush, set the gap on the plug to about 22 with feeler gauge (or roughly the thickness of your thumb nail).

A good test is to put your fore finger in the cap (rather than the plug) and attempt to start- if the coil works and power is being sent you will get a 'little' jolt.