It’s Official: New Jersey will Host a Formula 1 Grand Prix in 2013

Andy_Bangle

Ah, I vaguely remember some event or other - possibly to launch the Ascar series over here.

Make no mistake, the Ascars were pale imitations of the real thing. It was a bold try, and I wnated it to work, but for oval racing to be entertaining you need a full field of cars that are fast enough to make it challenging.

Your mate was probably bored because he was going far too slow, that oval is really too tight for a proper NASCAR, he was out there on his own so no pack etc etc etc.

When you're doing 200mph, drifting round the bends, an inch from 30 other cars and half an inch from the wall it gets a bit more exciting.

Yanks are only any good at driving round in circles, put them on a proper track, where they have to use their brakes, and they wouldn't have a clue.

OK, so everyone likes to take the piss out of the Americans and I know you like to post contrary comments Tipex, but all you've achieved with that comment is to demonstrate your complete ignorance on racing in the US.

OK, so everyone likes to take the piss out of the Americans and I know you like to post contrary comments Tipex, but all you've achieved with that comment is to demonstrate your complete ignorance on racing in the US.

I disagree, very few American drivers make it elsewhere in the world, there are occasional exceptions, but I just don't think they are on the same level as the rest of the world, if you look at race series that have races in America (but aren't American race series), on proper tracks like Laguna Seca, rather than ovals, not many of the winning drivers are Americans.

Ah, I vaguely remember some event or other - possibly to launch the Ascar series over here.

Make no mistake, the Ascars were pale imitations of the real thing. It was a bold try, and I wnated it to work, but for oval racing to be entertaining you need a full field of cars that are fast enough to make it challenging.

Your mate was probably bored because he was going far too slow, that oval is really too tight for a proper NASCAR, he was out there on his own so no pack etc etc etc.

When you're doing 200mph, drifting round the bends, an inch from 30 other cars and half an inch from the wall it gets a bit more exciting.

It was a few years back now, I think it was the opening of Rockingham, when I say he thought it was boring, it wasn't, because as a one off driving a NASCAR round a track is going to be exciting, what I meant was, he said he thought it would be a bit boring to just sit with your foot to the floor for the entire race, and he'd rather have a more challenging circuit where there is more to think about.

The reason very few American drivers make it elsewere, is because they dont feel the need to venture overseas as there 'domestic' series are so strong, rather than a lack of talent on their part.

Spin it round the other way. How much success have JPM, Jacque Villeneuve, Nelson Piquet Jnr, Narain Karthakain, Marcus Ambrose, Kimi Raikkonen etc had in NASCAR races in recent years.

Anyway watch this space for a young chap called Alex Rossi. He might change your views over the next few years.

That's the things with most American sports, having been to an American Football game, and a Baseball game, and a basketball game, whilst the game you are watching is largely uninteresting (American football= rugby for pansies, Baseball = rounders, played by girls everywhere else, same with Basketball = netball), the crowds are huge, and they certainly know how to build an atmosphere, you could be watching paint dry, and they'd still build a fantastic atmosphere.

But try asking anyone about the sport, who to watch etc etc, and none of the 'sports fans' I spoke to really had a clue about the actual sport or it's players, despite whoooping and hoolering at all the right moments!

My experience of NASCAR is different. I sat next to a Harry Dean Stanton look alike in a John Deere hat. As soon as he found out I was from the UK, he started asking all about the BTCC and in Particular Jason Plato in his debut season.

This proved to be typical of most of the motorport fans in America, that I have come across since then. Very knowledgable and with a broad apreciation of the sport as a whole.

Durring the NASCAR race I attended, the crowds focus of hate was Jeff Gordon. He was the new boy from California who was experiancing a period of domination and beating Dale Earhardt in the process. The geers and boos he got during the drivers parade were amazing. At this particular race Jeff was struggling with an ill handling car and was fighting like crazy to not go a lap down. After about 5 laps of side by side increadibly skillful racing with the leader, the whole crowd were on their feet chearing for Jeff at this superb display. That is a fan base who knows and apreciates their sport.

• 1 year later...

Well, 2013 didn't happen but according to the report below: The promoter of the Grand Prix of America has confirmed a new long-term deal is now in place to hold a round of the FIA Formula 1 World Championship. The agreement will see F1 go to New Jersey until at least 2029, starting from next year.

New Jersey inks long-term F1 deal - GPUpdate.net

• 3 weeks later...

UBS in drive for $100m New York grand prix - Telegraph

Read more: UBS in drive for $100m New York grand prix - Telegraph

http://www.businessinsider.com/ubs-grand-prix-race--new-york-2013-6"]

Swiss investment bank UBS has been appointed by the organisers of the planned New York Grand Prix in a bid to secure $100m (£65.7m) of funding to enable the race to go ahead in 2014.

The 3.2-mile track is on public roads in Port Imperial, New Jersey. It snakes alongside the Hudson river and would give the race a spectacular backdrop of Manhattan's historic skyline.

[/url]

UBS Is Trying To Bring A Grand Prix Race To New York | Business Insider Australia