Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Milo

Virgin V+ box/Tivo box

30 posts in this topic

Our HD V+ box appears to have died tonight. It lasted almost 4 months which was better than their shitty internet superhub but that's another story.

I am going to ask for a Tivo box to replace it, any idea what the difference is or if it's even worth having, before I start an argument for nothing.

It's much quicker to use than the V+ box and the inteligence of TiVo is great when you get used to it.

Sometimes I forget a new series has started but TiVo hasn't and when I check it's already recorded it for me, it works well but isn't foolproof.

Oh and I should add that my Superhub is still working great and hasnt even needed to be restarted for months. I think it can be terrible depending on the area you are in and who the original cable supplier was.

But it just works for me. :grin::cool:

Cheers, will definitely push for the tivo then.

Our hub/internet has been crap from day 1. Totally unreliable and the hub has been replaced once already. For that reason alone, I couldn't recommend Virgin to anyone :(

I work for Virgin Media and get a mates rate which is about 30% off, I seem to have lots of friends in the cabled areas :roflmao:

Any chance I can also be a 'mate' :grin:

thinking of getting Tivo as my V+ disk is just not big enough for HD content. Reading on the forums that if you order on Nov 1st onwards there will be a charge of £3 per Tivo box rather than per account.

Bollox to it.. just ordered my Tivo 500, install on the 19th Nov, swapping out my Samsung box and keeping my V+ for the bedroom, got free TV upgrade as well for 3 months too, happy days just in time for the trash at chrimbo :jump:

Bollox to it.. just ordered my Tivo 500, install on the 19th Nov, swapping out my Samsung box and keeping my V+ for the bedroom, got free TV upgrade as well for 3 months too, happy days just in time for the trash at chrimbo :jump:

Enjopy it Tivo is stunning +++

Happy to do mates rates in future +++

I'm pondering Tivo too ... nudge nudge ;) ;)

Currently I've got V+ with XL TV, XL phone and L b/band

Interested to see what you can do at mates rates :)

Any change Virgin will offer a similar watch on the go sports service like Sky- would be nice to pick up matches remotely.

TiVo installed today, took about 1.5 hours in total, issue getting the EPG on to the box but all seemed good. Engineer gave me a quick run through the menus and the series link which is a big difference to V+.

Setup up some programs to record but they don't appear to have recorded :confused:, 1 was a single showing and the other 3 were series links (Strictly, Merlin and X-factor for the misses of course :P), nothing showing in My Shows and no space taken up on the HDD.

There is an update due out this week for TiVo which by the looks of it fixes some teething issues, but recording programs should work out of the box!

Anyone got any Ideas?

Nope sorry, try giving it the old reboot, not had any similar problems with mine.

If its still not right get them back to sort it.

Forgot to post back, did a wipe and reload on Sat night and that seems to have fixed it. Can only assume the poor loading on install meant the EPG hadn't populated fully, was a lot quicker for me.

AzureS3 - mates rates ? :confused: :grin:

Scotty, there is a Scart socket on the back of my TiVo 500 +++

Well I got home tonight to find the new update applied, however had no access to Catchup on demand and missing channels (BBC1 and CH4). Reset box and all seemed to be ok, then 5 mins later the same. Reset again and then it died :(

New box to be fitted next Monday, back to the old V+ it is then :rollseyes:

New box installed earlier on today and so far so good. Menus are much quicker than before and the express series link is good to see (like the old v+)

I'm keen especially at the mates rates. We just need to work out if I qualify due to the T&Cs and my current deal.

Well after the update the box has got much quicker and it wasn't slow to start with.

Looking forward to the iPad control and streaming is on the way from what I've heard. :grin:

Im winding up the misses with the iPhone peanut app to change the channels :grin:

Hi,

I have moved into a cabled area and have been an unhappy customer with SKY for the past year.

Is VM are better option?

If so, getting a mate rate would be an option or should I just go directly online for a good deal?

If not, if the mate rate is still available, can someone "sponsor" me?:D

Thanks & awaiting all comments.

Cheers.