Forced to replace my 1.9TDI 130 B6 after a crash...opinons required

BIG_BOZ

I unfortunatley got rear ended on the M1 a few nights ago by a pipe smoking Rover 75 owner, and so I am now waiting for the assessors to tell me that my imaculate 130 SE B6 Saloon is a write off.

As i still have a fair amount of bits for the B6 shaped A4 which i stripped off it before it was taken away (heated door mirrors, cruise control, 17" sport alloys with new SP Sport 9090's, new wipers, floor mats etc....) and because i run Biodiesel which costs between 15p and £1.05 a litre I therfore need a 1.9 or 2.5 TDI of pre-04 vintage, i am now toying with either another 1.9tdi 130 or a 2.5Tdi 180 Avant Quattro.

Having run the 1.9TDI for 50k plus miles i know they are solid as a rock and have not had any problems, I would like to know if its worth getting a V6 instead, are there any issues with the 2.5, and can anyone who actually runs one let me know what kind of MPG you get. I do mainly M-Way miles on cruise control and have averaged 50+ MPG since purchase in the 1.9, dont want to loose too much in economy, but like the idea of the extra torque, 4 wheel drive and additional smoothness.

Alternativley i was contemplating a 1.9TDI 130 Quattro A6, but have a feeling it might feel a little slow after having the A4 with the same engine, and also i think to my eyes the A6 hasnt aged as well as the A4 of the same vintage, so its an outside option.

I have the A6q 2.5 V6 TDi. (180)

Bought it last year and it's a 2000 Y-reg jobbie.

Sounds sooooo much better than the 1.9 TDi (115) Bora it replaced.

Bought it with 130K, it's now got 165K, needed a new thermostat (ooouch!), but other than that, all OK. I do only motorway miles (A1, dual carriageway, lots of roundabouts on it too and crawling in traffic at Stevenage) each day, and at 70/75 mph I get 45 - 48 mpg. The Bora was giving me 55 mpg. You will notice the increase in power & torque, although 1st & 2nd gears are very (unecessarily) short.

Would I buy another - yes (if I had the same funding limit).

At motorway speed cruising, you cannot hear the engine, unlike the 4 cylinder 1.9s.