Thanks Gizze - love my new Merc!

AudiPartner

Gizze dropped in to a previous thread that there was a deal knocking around whereby you can get a brand new Merc C250 Sport for £250/month (plus VAT).

I was just about to chop my A3 in for an Allroad as I wanted a bigger more comfortable cruiser, and just as I was about to, he throws this in to the mix. So instead of driving around in a £5k smoker, trying to get 30 to the gallon, I'm now busting around in a £35k Merc, getting more like 45 to the gallon! Being my first ever brand new car I am loving it. Headlights are amazing, and its good to have an electric tailgate and M/F steering wheel again. Bluetooth handsfree with linguatronic is a godsend, and the ipod link works well too. Command is pretty good, but the pronunciation of the names is a joke!

All in all, I love it. Yeah its a bit of a old mans car, but it serves a purpose and its a nice place to be. And for £315 per month, why would I not?

:)

I've just had a look at the Mercedes website, I didn't realise they'd stopped doing the E280 Cdi, that was a great engine, the V6 Diesel, I guess you have to have the E320 CDi to get that now, so the 250 is a 4 cylinder twin turbo, probably puts out the same or better figures than the 280 did, but with much better C02 and MPG, is the 220 the same engine?

Yes, the same engine as the 220 CDI - a 4 cylinder 2.1 litre diesel in three states of tune; the 200CDI (136 bhp / 360Nm), 220CDI (170 bhp / 400 Nm) and 250CDI (204 bhp / 500Nm). Lowest power has one turbo, the other two come with 2. I think the 250CDI in mine emits around 142g CO2/Km, and is £130 a year to tax. First brim to brim tank averaged 37.9 mpg - not to bad :D

Only other diesel is a 3 litre V6 badged 350CDI and available in two states of tune, confusingly both badged 350CDI. One is a 'bluetec' eco special with 211 bhp / 540Nm, the other 265 bhp and 620 Nm. The lower powered one is more expensive IIRC, so I can't imagine they sell many!

I had an E270CDI a while back - lovely sounding 5 cylinder engine. Gone now though :-(

Peter

Funnily enough, when I was considering buying the Allroad that I never bought, it was either that or an old C270 estate. £5k buys an alright looking car, and the C270 had much better fuel economy figures over the Allroad. Allroad just seemed more of a "mans" car.

But all irrelevant now cos I got my spanker! :) Albeit a 4 pot...