Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigrichw

Decisions.. 3.0 or 4.4 ???

10 posts in this topic

Hi all

Looking for a 2001/02 Model, but I don't know weather to go for a 3.0 or 4.4! On paper there doesn't seem to be alot in it, performance, fuel consumption etc.. Which is the better engine? I have heard the 3.0 is better is this true? Thanks

Not sure myself. The 4.4 will hopefully have been better looked after (seeing as the initial cost would have been more). However, as a result servicing on such a beastie will be £££££ even from an indy, and might have been missed. Be careful and check the history.

I think fuel consumption will be far different in real world driving - as will performance.

The only thing you can do, is go for a long drive in each and see what you think, work out the fuel costs too!

The 3.0 Diesel will return c22mpg average, c26mpg on a long gentle run. The 4.4 will be c18mpg average, I would imagine you'd get MAYBE 23-25mpg on a run.

Remember the auto boxes are from a few generations past, so they slush much more than modern boxes. IIRC lock-up is only in 5th & 6th.

The 4.4 is a good engine... if you could stretch to the 4.8is it's an absolute peach, better fuel consumption and the noise is marvelous (it's an Alpina built 4.8 V8).

If you do a fair few miles, the diesel will always be a better option.

Errrrr..... 3.0 Petrol..... Hmmmm...... no knowledge, but it's a big lump even for that lovely in-line 3.0 unit

Edited by Biscuits
Just re-read the OP!

3.0 petrol in an X5 will give you a woefully under-performing SUV with hideous fuel consumption. One of our reps had one. It was a good idea when he bought it. A good idea that lasted all of two months before he dumped it for a 535d.

I so it's the 3.0D or the 4.4 then - or of I can stretch the finances the 4.6is?

When we had an X5 it was the earlier 186bhp 3.0d, returned about 25 round the doors and 32 on a run.

The fuel economy on a 3.0i vs 4.4i is practically the same so get the V8.

If a 4.8is is in budget I'd be looking there, all the kit and the oomph

I really can't see the 3.0 petrol being any good. A car that size needs either the torque of a diesel, or a V8. I have the 4.4 and the engine is superb. Driving normally you realise moving the thing is effortless for the engine. Then it launches off like a rocket when you put your foot down. Fuel costs are never going to be good on any big 4x4 unless it's quite new. I get around 24-26mpg on my 4.4 but the journeys I do in it are straight 60mph roads with virtually no stopping and starting. I imagine that would drop down to about 18 around town etc. As said, the 3.0i will be pushing hard to lug the thing around and use more fuel as a consequence.

I know someone who had a 4.8is and lived near London. He averaged 12mpg :(

The thing is, pretty much any car, no matter what it is, isn't going to do any good in stop-start scenarios, unless the engine is really small. Mrs P's A6 was great on a run - 45mpg, and around 40mpg on 12 mile journeys to town. However, round the doors it would drop to late twenties/early thirties at most.